What's the story with Frank Zappa? (1 Viewer)

flashback

Here. I've seen a few Frank Zappa interviews and the lad seems to be an agonizing cunt altogether.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've thought this for a while, but kept it quiet. I'm a bit of an agonizing cunt myself at times, so glass houses and all that.

But I'd be curious if I'm the only cunt out there who thinks this. Everyone seems to consider him a deity, a bit like John Lennon only with less beating of women. I can't really see a huge number of redeeming features of the cunt at all, other than his name, which is class obviously.

I'd like to know why I'm mistaken here.

Here. I've seen a few Frank Zappa interviews and the lad seems to be an agonizing cunt altogether.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've thought this for a while, but kept it quiet. I'm a bit of an agonizing cunt myself at times, so glass houses and all that.

But I'd be curious if I'm the only cunt out there who thinks this. Everyone seems to consider him a deity, a bit like John Lennon only with less beating of women. I can't really see a huge number of redeeming features of the cunt at all, other than his name, which is class obviously.

I'd like to know why I'm mistaken here.

This interview is absolutely fantastic.

Frank didnt suffer fools gladly from what I can gather and maybe thats a bad thing because fools need love too. He was also extremely opinionated, as evidence in that video. .
But heres the thing ,afaicr I generally find his opinions to be pretty much spot on.
And most of all ,motherfucker can play the guitar and run a shit hot band like nobodies bizness. Not to mention his preternatural compositional abilities.

His opinions just seem to be standard libertarian ones?

His music is grand imho, proper lads stuff of playing a billion notes a second and sneering at everyone who couldn't. It'll always have an audience.

His opinions just seem to be standard libertarian ones?

His music is grand imho, proper lads stuff of playing a billion notes a second and sneering at everyone who couldn't. It'll always have an audience.
I am gonna be honest here and I'm not afraid to admit I don't know everything ..I need to look up philosophical terminology sometimes but that sounds about right to me

Libertarianism (from French: libertaire, "libertarian"; from Latin: libertas, "freedom") is a political philosophy that upholds liberty as a core principle. Libertarians seek to maximize autonomy and political freedom, emphasizing free association, freedom of choice, individualism and voluntary association.

On the subject of Franks music/ guitar playing.. he isnt an obnoxious shredder by any means, I have no interest in that malarky . He is a brilliant improviser ... and technically ..well lets just say he know all the chords.

meanwhile ...As someone who can play a million notes a second I quite enjoy an auld sneer at the lesser.... disciplined.

I'm not ragging on him necessarily, I was watching some stuff on youtube from a documentary about him where his players were talking about that Black Page piece he has, and the joy of learning to play it.Really good, heartwarming stuff, I'll have to watch the doc actually.

But, like, his sneery attitude to pop music is just pure him not getting it. And he thinks he does get it, which makes it much worse.

As for his libertarian shtick, it reminds me of James Brown, who was fairly similar. His argument being "Well I made it, so it's just a matter of who wants it most and works the hardest," and it's like ok dude, can you imagine an entire world of James Browns and Frank Zappas? Christ. James Brown is still the fucking king in my world though.

Haha yeah..no thanks.

Imagine those two in a band with Mark E Smith. Up in heaven

Edit.. I tell you what..he was WAAAY of the mark with his lowly opinion of pop videos. He couldnt have got it more wrong .

And theres no need to be ragging on Trevor Horn either Frank

I still like that he has all these opinions though

Edit.. I tell you what..he was WAAAY of the mark with his lowly opinion of pop videos. He couldnt have got it more wrong .
He didn't like things that are not music but still made one of the most amazing videos ever.

Oh and then 'be in my video' is a fun tune too.

The debate above is still split to me in

People who have to have a personality with their pop

People who just like the music on it's own.

Haha yeah..no thanks.

Imagine those two in a band with Mark E Smith. Up in heaven

And theres no need to be ragging on Trevor Horn either Frank

I still like that he has all these opinions though
I am always comparing Beefheart, MES and football manager Brian Clough.
I am struck by how similarly they all operated. Clough was MES' football icon.

anyone else who was similar this trio?

Zappa's autobiography is great, as is he. Despite the obvious bollocks peppering both the music and the book. The book is surprisingly funny, and at least his political stance* is consistent.
*I do not agree with his political stance.
anyone else who was similar this trio?
I think loads of people are like this, temperamentally speaking. What separates your choices is their vast talent.
I got to hang out with MES a few times about a hundred years ago. He was the most joyfully cancellable person I've ever met. Not that he would give a fuck.
The Fall remnants are still playing, as are the Magic Band. That's a big testament to how much they were loved both inside and outside their bands.

How did Beefheart and Brian Clough operate?

The same as MES?

Is it similar to how Bernie Rhodes tried to keep the Clash going with Mick Jones and Joe Strummer out of the band, arguing that they were all ultimately replaceable and the Clash should be like a football team. Cut the Crap, the album PiL could have been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back