What's the story with Frank Zappa? (1 Viewer)

flashback

Here. I've seen a few Frank Zappa interviews and the lad seems to be an agonizing cunt altogether.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've thought this for a while, but kept it quiet. I'm a bit of an agonizing cunt myself at times, so glass houses and all that.

But I'd be curious if I'm the only cunt out there who thinks this. Everyone seems to consider him a deity, a bit like John Lennon only with less beating of women. I can't really see a huge number of redeeming features of the cunt at all, other than his name, which is class obviously.

I'd like to know why I'm mistaken here.

I perceive that as a common perception of the guy. I get it when i listen to his music (except for pre Hot Rats stuff which is mostly good)
Interesting.

I've never heard anything other than people gushing about how he was a not just a musical genius, but a genius in general.

But I'd be curious if I'm the only cunt out there who thinks this.
You're not alone. I find him painful. Some of the music is good but his genius reputation is stretched if you ask me. And it's weird because I love so much music that he obviously influenced (Faust, The Residents, Nurse With Wound, etc.) but both him and his music is vaguely repellent to me. (I only own Hot Rats, I sold all my other Zappa stuff as it was shit.)

You're not alone. I find him painful. Some of the music is good but his genius reputation is stretched if you ask me. And it's weird because I love so much music that he obviously influenced (Faust, The Residents, Nurse With Wound, etc.) but both him and his music is vaguely repellent to me. (I only own Hot Rats, I sold all my other Zappa stuff as it was shit.)
Huh.

I have never heard any dissension amongst the ranks on the genius bit. Well then.

Here. I've seen a few Frank Zappa interviews and the lad seems to be an agonizing cunt altogether.

I've thought this for a while, but kept it quiet. I'm a bit of an agonizing cunt myself at times, so glass houses and all that.

But I'd be curious if I'm the only cunt out there who thinks this. Everyone seems to consider him a deity, a bit like John Lennon only with less beating of women. I can't really see a huge number of redeeming features of the cunt at all, other than his name, which is class obviously.

I'm not a fan of his music but this impressed the hell out of back in the day. I haven't re watched itsince ..maybe I wouldn't be so impressed these days.

I'm not a fan of his music but this impressed the hell out of back in the day. I haven't re watched itsince ..maybe I wouldn't be so impressed these days.

Those lads are exemplary dickheads though. If you're up against sentient penises attached to heads, lads who by the looks of it (and I admittedly don't really know much about them) seem to have based their career on being refined concentrate of dickhead, even dabblers like Frank Zappa seem reasonable in comparison.

Zappa had other avenues to explore, he just sort of ventured down the middle management dickhead route, but he had stuff to fall back on. These lads have been to university for dickheadery. Plus they're quite old, and dickheadism naturally accumulates as you age with out even an effort being made to culture it.

I'm pretty sure he was a musician rather than someone whos supposed to be entertaining in an interview. I love his stuff, I don't dig too hard on personality with music because the industry is very weighted towards people who look good guesting on a quiz show/reality tv environment, which zappa and prince will tell you is certainly not making music. Do you need the whole package, like does he have to be a charmer in a sit down interview to seal the deal?

This is it . Same as biopics. I really can't be bothered with them. The person behind the music/art doesn't interest me at all.

I'm pretty sure he was a musician rather than someone whos supposed to be entertaining in an interview. I love his stuff, I don't dig too hard on personality with music because the industry is very weighted towards people who look good guesting on a quiz show/reality tv environment, which zappa and prince will tell you is certainly not making music. Do you need the whole package, like does he have to be a charmer in a sit down interview to seal the deal?

I see what you're saying, the Gary Barlow / Katy Perry types are media productions. Being a musician is almost a part time thing for them. Presumably they're groomed and pushed in this area, and it's got nothing to do with music.

I wouldn't really categorize them as serious musicians, they're media productions, often kids that ultimately get chewed up. They aren't in the same category as Jimi Hendrix, Neil Young, Thom Yorke, Nina Simone... Liam Gallagher, fucking... the dude from Rammestein. Those guys different. They are "just musicians", and I don't expect anything from them. The thing about them though is most people didn't really get too worked up what they say, it's not all chiselled in stone as profound words of wisdom.

Frank Zappa though seemed to be very out there, very interested in being a public voice, giving all sorts of interviews, turning up in all sorts of places similar to the Katy Perry types. All of this was voluntary and he seemed to enjoy doing it. Everyone I've heard talking about him venerated and hugely respected what he said as deep and insightful. I honestly have never heard any other opinion that he's a genius, and he's a musical genius, and he's an amazing speaker.

That was what I was not getting. Since it was *every* time I'd heard him mentioned I never questioned it, I assumed I was the cunt for not seeing the brilliance.

Here's a more chill zappa interview.

Lands on stage, calls everyone and ass kisser, talks about his doomed to fail record.

He doesn't seem as bad there. Jaysus though, he wanted to host a talk show? Sounds about right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back