What's the most you've ever paid for a record / cd? (2 Viewers)

george mcfly

My Name Is Prince.
I once considered dropping the most money I've ever thought about spending on a record on Discogs. It was $400 for the Coupe DeVilles record 'Waiting Out The Eighties'. John Carpenter's 80s supergroup. Only pressed for friends, never properly released.

If I had it in my hands and I was a bit drunk I'd definitely fold and buy it, but I just couldn't take the gamble on Discogs

€400...wow. That's what happens when popular meets rare.

My avatar is one of the ones I picked up, Voices by Manfred Schoof Quintett from 1966. I found an original VG+ for €75 about a year ago. Had a charged couple of hours deciding whether to go for it.
Both financially and emotionally, yeah?

Been close to the ton for one record a couple of times, but never over it. I think I'll be able to finish the collecting jag I'm on (it will take another year or two) without going over €100 for a single record.

€400...wow. That's what happens when popular meets rare.

My avatar is one of the ones I picked up, Voices by Manfred Schoof Quintett from 1966. I found an original VG+ for €75 about a year ago. Had a charged couple of hours deciding whether to go for it.
Both financially and emotionally, yeah?

Been close to the ton for one record a couple of times, but never over it. I think I'll be able to finish the collecting jag I'm on (it will take another year or two) without going over €100 for a single record.

I'm trying to figure out the most I've spent on a record. It's not too bad. I think it was 120 quid for a copy of Fabio Frizzi's The Beyond. I was really lucky and picked up most of the Carpenter stuff about ten years ago when it wasn't so pricey.

Mine was a present for my dad, a big Tony Bennett fan -

Sterling is pleased to announce the printing of two limited editions of Tony Bennett in the Studio: A Life of Art & Music. We are printing 350 copies of each deluxe edition, The New York Edition and The Florentine Edition. The New York Edition is bound in midnight blue bonded leather, and slipcased in fine woven cloth. The book includes a copy of the CD Pop ART Songs--a limited edition CD featuring Tony Bennett performing personally selected impressionistic art songs. The New York Edition also features an exquisite limited-edition giclée published here for the first time, printed on high-quality archival watercolor paper: Still Life New York, which was painted in the artist's own studio overlooking Central Park, measures approximately 11 x 14 inches, is numbered, and hand-signed by Tony Bennett. The book also includes a tipped-in, numbered vellum frontispiece signed by Bennett, as well as a ribbon marker.

Tony Bennett in the Studio, New York Edition $320.00
Shipping & Processing: $15.98
Total Shipment Price: $335.98

OK so it was a book that included a CD and a print, but still.

61QesPeAtuL.jpg

Last edited:
aside from box sets, spent about 40 for this on discogs. another 15 or so to ship the fucker over from the states. Caribou Vibration Ensemble 2009 Tour LP

r-2472316-1353341249-4412-jpeg-jpg.10235

bought the r.e.m. hibtone 7" for c.IR£70 about 25 years ago i.e. when that was a big chunk of money. haven't really paid silly money for anything 2nd hand since, only new box-sets (e.g. charley patton), and nothing since becoming a parent.

sold a few €100+ records over the years.

I've bought a fair amount of things, rare CD's or vinyl, at around the 50-60 euro mark but beyond that.... nah. Can never justify it. There's a record on eBay i've been looking at for ages that's 80 GBP, pretty sure I'll never get it.

If I ever feel the urge there's a number of rare Prince releases that go for about 200 GBP and there's always a few of them knocking around for sale.

bought the r.e.m. hibtone 7" for c.IR£70 about 25 years ago i.e. when that was a big chunk of money. haven't really paid silly money for anything 2nd hand since, only new box-sets (e.g. charley patton), and nothing since becoming a parent.

sold a few €100+ records over the years.
I'd be interested to know what some of those records you sold were

I've never spent mad money on records, but I know loads of people who have

I've never paid big money for lps, I love to collect but I'm not really into that total collector buzz of having to have certain records. Not yet anyway. Though I was recently tempted by a near Mint first pressing of The Fall's Live At The Witch Trials; I think it was going for about €60, which on reflection I should have bought!

Around 35 euras for an LP (including P&P)
I think I paid 55 euras for the Beg, Scream & Shout: the big ol box of 60's soul. 4 CD boxset.

a bit over IR£100 if I remember correctly for a mint cd of Motown Junk by the Manics. hahahahahaha. eBay bidding war back when I was an idiot.

Yikes.
Maybe it's just me but I always think a cd is something that can be easily replicated so I don't place a lot of value on them.

I'd be interested to know what some of those records you sold were

I've never spent mad money on records, but I know loads of people who have
only ever been a small few, all doubles of now-rare 12"s or LPs by the mountain goats which i bought new for $8-$12. i didn't buy them with a view to flipping them - usually there'd've been e.g. surface pops on the first copy i bought so i bought another but couldn't justify hanging on to them when demand was high so i sold them to newer fans for decent money, but well below their normal resale value ($150+)

i did give away a spare copy of this which sells for $300.

swings and roundabouts: just dropped $60 inc. p&p on the forthcoming mountain goats double LP+12" at a time when the euro has never been weaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back