What's the deal with Shebeen? (1 Viewer)

sparse

Website
www.facebook.com
What's the deal with Shebeen and all the save Shebeen Facebook pages and sit ins and what not? I know that its changed hands because the owner wasn't paying his rent but what's all the fuss about? I know all the staff lost their jobs and that's not good but was it just a case of the owner not making enough to pay or was it that he refused to pay the high rent (what with upward only leases). I heard that he wasn't paying his suppliers also so that just sounds like he got into financial trouble. I'm confused. Was there a wrong doing by the landlord or was the owner an idiot?

The owner dicked people around big time. He has at one point owned Cafe Bar Deli, Ri Ra, and Eden in Temple Bar.

His business model seems to be to expand as quickly as possible funding it all by not paying any bills. When one business closes he often opens up the next day under a different trading name. I found it very distasteful the way he used the staff in Shebeen as pawns when the outcome was always going to be closure. He owed rent arrears going back a long time (I think the figure was in the region of 60k)

business is business, they should really get over it and move and and quit whining. if they really thought they'd a great pub well then they should have great confidence in setting up their new one

As much as I feel sorry for the staff and whatever I find it pretty hilarious that they're calling for a boycott of this fake shebeen when their pub was very much a fake shebeen.

As much as I feel sorry for the staff and whatever I find it pretty hilarious that they're calling for a boycott of this fake shebeen when their pub was very much a fake shebeen.

Yup.
I'd be in there every night of the week now if I lived in Dublin.

Fuck 'em. Place was wall-to-wall cuntbags, including the staff.

Yeah a friend of mine went in looking for work. It's new owners and just called "Sheebeen" now. They gutted the place days after it closed. So much "cool" stuff - (i.e. not cool stuff) to throw away...

the interior of the shebeen always made me think of what would happen if the klaxons bought loads of antiques and then donated them to a stuffy hipster bar.
Remember, shebeen chic was the bar you loved, shebeen is the enemy. Don't go in by accident or you'll torment the ghost of the shebeen chic.
I hate most bars in town by the way.

The owner (former owner?) of Shebeen Chic is (was?) Jay Bourke, who currently owes ACC Bank 1 million Euro according to this Irish Times interview: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0909/1224303748194.html

Here's a link to a liveline episode where he defends himself against other people who he owes money to including Mullingar Meats (20,000 Euro), Jim Mulchrone Plant Hire (55,000 Euro) and Yvonne from Dublin (two Bellinter House gift vouchers): http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2011/pc/pod-v-11101143m05slivelinejaybourke-pid0-2585616.mp3

was never a fan of the place tbh, thought it tried way too hard to be something it wasnt . i went in once, for food, when it was more trying to be a fancy beer and food place at the start. was dire. saying all that , the spot out the back and dame lane, all those boozers in one area having a street party, that's always good fun on the right night.

Was in the Electric Lounge/Speakeasy last night and have to say that I was far more impressed wit the place than I ever was with SC. Much better laid out and the furniture takes up a far smaller footprint than before so the place is less likely to be uncomfortably cramped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back