Whats everyone think of David McWilliams? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 19
  • Views 859
  • Watchers 2

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Solutions
The economist southsider dude. I think he's class. His podcast is excellent even though I don't understand a lot of it.

This was written a few years ago and was fairly on the money I think

I don't really mind him, a good barometer of where the centre/well meaning and well-off people are at any moment. He sometimes accidentally comes out with mad stuff.

I assume everyone hates him. Mainly because of his accent and his privileged demeanour. He's always made sense to me. And he likes to talk to the kind of people that need a good intellectual kick up the arse. He is quite haughty though, for sure.

Anyone who makes economics interesting is worth listening to in my book, because it actually is.

the active transport people on twitter like him because he's called for the brown thomas car park to be turned into a homeless shelter (slight exaggeration there).

I assume everyone hates him. Mainly because of his accent and his privileged demeanour. He's always made sense to me. And he likes to talk to the kind of people that need a good intellectual kick up the arse. He is quite haughty though, for sure.

Anyone who makes economics interesting is worth listening to in my book, because it actually is.
what do you think of the critique posted above? I would seriously disagree that "everyone hates him" btw.

what do you think of the critique posted above? I would seriously disagree that "everyone hates him" btw.
Sorry, crossed wires there.

That's a funny read. I can't disagree with it. I was of a somewhat similar mindset to McWilliams back when I lived in Dub-a-lin.
The world has changed quite a lot since then and so have I. I wouldn't be so, I dunno, "free market will sort everything if pricks just stopped being pricks" minded today.

I think he sometimes has useful insights, but I got put off him during the aftermath of the 2008 crash when he made lots of predictions (e.g. the imminent demise of the euro) that just never came true.

Same as, haven't looked at him in years. Made a dabble or two to see what he was on about a year or two ago but wasn't drawn by it.

this? i hadn't seen it before.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think this is the version that went out live.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

lol David McWilliams spent the first 30 minutes of his 35 minute "How do we solve the inflation problem?" podcast this week talking around and around about inflation before finally, very quickly, coming to his one recommendation of no one is allowed get a pay rise for the sake of the economy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back