What you been listening to this week? (1 Viewer)

If I Could Only Remember My Name by David Crosby has been getting a lot of play this last week. Warm weather music.

Fantastic. I had that on the other day along with CSNY's Déjà Vu. A good morning.

What's been on the stereo here today:
Destroyer - Kaputt
Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert
Kevin Richard Martin - Sirens
Tortoise - Beacons of Ancestorship
Various - Loose: The New Sounds of the Old West
Various - The Wire Tapper 50

MIA-notes from the underground lp
MIA-murder in a foreign place lp
Infezione-oppresione quotidiana lp
V/a- life is a joke vol 3 lp
V/a- hardcore holocaust lp
V/a- theres a method to our madness lp
V/a nwobhm lp
The Psychos-lp

I am listening to the Motown Story: First Ten Years 4XLP boxset which is an audio documentary of interviews with EVERYONE and bits of tunes throughout. It's phenomenal, bargain bin stuff.

I was listening to a few of those podcasts on spotify, 1001 albums you must hear before you die. A bunch of Americans discuss some the album choices in the book. Sticky fingers is one of them. The brought up the some what questionable lyrics of brown sugar & bitch. I know he mentions slavery & whipping women just around midnight (apparently Jagger changes these lines when they play it now)

Experimenting with Clannad post Dúlamán. Dúlamán is kinda masterpiece stuff by any standard. The scope / harmony / introspect is a rare thing. I got in a *discussion *recently where my mate suggested Fuaim was a better record.

On first run I'm still in camp Dúlamán. Fuaim is I *think* the last one with Enya on it. Significant timeline at play here too.

1976 - Dúlamán
1982 - Fuaim
1983 - Magical Ring (this is the harry's game one).
1984 - Legend
1985 - Macalla

So far I'm feeling Fuaim as a b-sides / clearing of house to usher an bunch of shitty synths. Magical Ring has some great peaks, but also Newgrange is almost Spinal Taps Stonehenge Hibernicised. Took one look at the track list on Legend and skipped it (Robin - the hooded man). I'm near certain there is a pre Dúlamán era too (Lisa is from this time). Anywhoo I'm on Macalla now - Closer to your Heart is grabbing me. Has actual notions in it.

Should probably read the wiki.

i have clannad 2 here and i've never listened to it before. i've put it on the platter just now. twee in parts, pretty ok in others. i used to really like the live album. the later new age stuff not so much

edit: clannad 2 is 1974. it's quite trad. most of the songs are in irish. the instrumentation is pretty interesting though - harps, double bass, and they even crack out an electric guitar at one point. no hint of new age about it. it's not bad actually

Last edited:
i have clannad 2 here and i've never listened to it before. i've put it on the platter just now. twee in parts, pretty ok in others. i used to really like the live album. the later new age stuff not so much

edit: clannad 2 is 1974

Gonna give that go after lunch. I've just done my usual really like one album and ignore the rest on Clannad

Till today.

wait... there's even a harpsichord on it. feels like i've been transported to tir na nog here

Experimenting with Clannad post Dúlamán. Dúlamán is kinda masterpiece stuff by any standard. The scope / harmony / introspect is a rare thing. I got in a *discussion *recently where my mate suggested Fuaim was a better record.

On first run I'm still in camp Dúlamán. Fuaim is I *think* the last one with Enya on it. Significant timeline at play here too.

1976 - Dúlamán
1982 - Fuaim
1983 - Magical Ring (this is the harry's game one).
1984 - Legend
1985 - Macalla

So far I'm feeling Fuaim as a b-sides / clearing of house to usher an bunch of shitty synths. Magical Ring has some great peaks, but also Newgrange is almost Spinal Taps Stonehenge Hibernicised. Took one look at the track list on Legend and skipped it (Robin - the hooded man). I'm near certain there is a pre Dúlamán era too (Lisa is from this time). Anywhoo I'm on Macalla now - Closer to your Heart is grabbing me. Has actual notions in it.

Should probably read the wiki.
Why no Crann Ull ?

funnily enough, i've just had another dig and found a copy of clannad 1 - 1973. similar enough to the second album. starts off with nil se 'n la which was my favourite off the live album. also found a copy of anam - 1990, which i'm not expecting much from. these two were in a pile i have just recently inherited, just in case i sound like a complete lunatic hoarder

Jaypers, I've listened to Brown Sugar a thousand times and never really made out any of the lyrics apart from "in the market down in New Orleans" and "(something something) the women just around midnight" and obvs the chorus which I always assumed was just kinda sexy nonsense

My older daughter is 15 now, so that line in Stray Cat Blues creeps me out, but it's still a great song

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back