What you been listening to this week? (2 Viewers)

Not what I was expecting at all, I thought they were going to be much grungier/rockier. Took me a moment to get into it but, yeah, sounds like my kind of thing.

Some of their other stuff is rockier, but is generally slow and sad. The album with the roller coaster on the cover is great.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Louis Armstrong, constantly.

Specifically "The Complete Hot Five & Hot Seven Recordings".

Just magic.

lately:
jim black/alas no axis - alas no axis. a jazz album for the rock heads. along with chris speed's yeah/no (with which there's a lot of personnel cross-over), i can't see this not appealing to the jimmy cake crowd.

anja lechner/vassilis tsabropoulis - chants, hymns and dances.
pure e.c.m. - cello/piano duets of the music of g.i. gurdjieff.

watchmaker - kill.fucking.everyone. for when you wanna...

pedal - pedal. sole album of piano duos from aussies chris abrahams (necks) and simon james phillips

bastro - sing the troubled beast. swan song with vague hints of where gastr del sol would go. 1990 homestead c.d. pressing which sounds like shit though.

shudder to think - get your goat. got this off the 'i hate the 90s' blog. nice trip down memory lane.

james plotkin/atomsmasher - atomsmasher. later a.k.a. phantomsmasher. one of the more extreme discs on my shelf. not recommended while driving if you've been having car trouble. what's not to love about songs like pokemon gangbang?

climax golden twins - imperial household orchestra c.d. / "locations" c.d. - these guys have been a staple here for 20 years. impossible to pin down. everything from indonesian field recordings to speed thrash-ups to amniotic drones to found sound to actual songs. i was late to the sun city girls party so got in on the ground floor with c.g.t. instead. still figuring them out. (see also a.f.c.g.t. / messenger girls trio)

aidan baker - book of nods. ...and speaking of daunting catalogues. this is one of about 3 or 4 baker albums i own but the only one i come back to much. a lot of what i've heard just washes over me - enough going on here to warrant closer listening

sonny rollins - alfie o.s.t.. home from work on time (for a change), briefly free gaff, sun out, rustling up a green curry. perfect.

also had a bit of a necks binge over the weekend, never a bad thing:
mosquito - c.d. one of the 2c.d. set w/see through. an exercise in stillness. maybe my favourite bass sound of any of their studio releases.
hanging gardens - first album of theirs i got, back when it was new, but hadn't listened to it in ages. pretty full-on, driving sound for them, touch of funk even.
photosynthetic - live c.d. (their second, after piano bass drums) on some russian label. get the athenaeum/homebush/quay/raab 4c.d. set for a decent overview of their live sound - one disc/set chosen by each member and a 4th on which they all agreed. all time favourite here.

Last edited:
Caroline Rose did a tiny desk concert and it's great and I will not be afraid m8

Just listened to Garbage's debut album (for the first time ever I think) and now I'm listening to Sheryl Crow's faux-grunge album.

Man... such production in the 90's. Might throw on Jagged Little Pill next!

Just listened to Garbage's debut album (for the first time ever I think) and now I'm listening to Sheryl Crow's faux-grunge album.

Man... such production in the 90's. Might throw on Jagged Little Pill next!

it was butch vig's decade

King Crimson The Road to Red:
21 discs of amazingness. The first 20 discs are live recordings from the US/Canada tour of 74 and finds the group in flying form. The music constantly feels like it's on a knife edge, songs mutate each night and full pieces materialise out of the air never to be seen again. The set finishes with a remaster of my favourite King Crimson album, Red. I bought this for my birthday last year and this is my third full trip through it, it's fucking mega. I need to pick up the Larks Tongues in Aspic and Starless and Bible Black box sets soon.

Om Advaitic Songs:
I love how Om have changed over the years. As a big fan of Sleep, I really enjoyed the early albums where they were the duo of Al and Chris both live and on record. However, after Chris left and Emil from Grails joined, I thought the sound had opened up a lot. Nothing would prepare me for how rich they would sound rounded out to a trio with Robert Lowe from Lichens. The live show at the Button Factory was the best I had ever seen from Om (and was way better than seeing Sleep live too). Can't wait for the gig in November.

Neil Young Freedom:
The "he's finally got it back!" album. The 80s were a patchy time for him and this album squarely placed him back as a force to be reckoned with. It's also the first Neil Young album I ever got so it has a special place in my heart.

Keiji Haino/Jim O'Rourke/Peter Brötzmann Two City Blues 1:
Skronk! Shriek! Shred!

David Lynch Ghost of Love:
Think these two songs are from Inland Empire, it's a while since I've seen it. Two great atmospheric pieces that are way better than the solo albums he put out after this. If he and Badalamenti can pull something like this out of the bag for the upcoming Twin Peaks season then we'll be laughing.

The Jimmy Cake Master:
Gets better with each listen.

Yehudi Menuhin and Stephane Grapelli Hits of the Thirties:
This was my granny's and was her favourite record (though her favourite music was Puccini's Madame Butterfly). It's light, it's breezy but it's wonderful.

Andy Irvine Rain on the Roof:
Irish albums have some awful covers. This one isn't the worst but it would have put the younger me off. It's a fab album though, some of Irvine's best songs are here like "Băneasă's Green Glade", "My Heart's Tonight in Ireland" and "Never Tire of the Road".

The Birthday Party Mutiny/Bad Seed:
One of those albums you hear that blows you away but never loses its impact no matter how old and jaded you get. Possibly has more of an impact now. Hands up who wants to die!

Mayhem De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Mayhem Of Lord Satans Mysteries:
The weather is getting cooler so time to break out some black metal. De Mysteriis is the best thing Mayhem did so I jumped on the bootleg demo album Of Lord Satan's Mysteries when I saw it a couple of years ago. Not quite as rough sounding as I expected and some great takes on it.

Seijaku Last Live
Keiji Haino, Mitsuru Nasuno and Yoshimitsu Ichiraku After Seijaku
Two new 2CD sets both featuring the same line up under different names. Seijaku were one of the more interesting bands Haino has been involved in over the past ten years. Combining excessive volume and power with moments of almost silent restraint, they were second only maybe to Fushitsusha in the great Haino bands stakes. Unfortunately they split up with only two albums and an extremely rare CD-R. According to the liner notes for Last Live, this was because Yoshimitsu Ichiraku was told that if he kept drumming he would end up in a wheelchair with back problems. So they played one last stormer of a gig (I had a bootleg of it but here it is officially released) and started recording under a new name with everyone playing synthesiser drones. Very, very different but I dig it.

The Jimmy Cake/Domotic split 12”:
Grand but non-essential release (both Jimmy Cake tracks are on Dublin's Gone) and Domotic is fairly forgettable but pleasant.

Kan Mikami/Yoshizawa Moto/Keiji Haino 平成元年Live 上:
Listening to Seijaku got me hankering for another classic Haino band but this time with the equally brilliant Kan Mikami. This live album from the early 90s is a masterclass in songwriting. I think. I don't speak Japanese so the lyrics could all be about MDF and flooring.

Mick Turner Don’t Tell the Driver:
Guitarist from Dirty Three's most recent (or at least fairly recent) album. It's nice but every time I hear one of these guys outside of the Dirty Three, I wish that they were making another Dirty Three record.

Pauline Oliveros Accordion & Voice:
Exactly what you expect it to sound like. An accordion. A voice.

The Resident The Commercial Album:
Bizarre but weirdly compelling album from The Residents. The idea was to make commercial sounding music that fit the format of a TV commercial, so all the tracks are exactly one minute long and they later did a different video for each song. The songs are incredibly catchy given how odd they are, the videos are a bit crappy though.

Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse Dark Night of the Soul:
Soundtrack for a David Lynch book featuring lots of big names and shelved for various contractual reasons, leaked on the web (the book sold with a blank CD-R to burn your own copy) and later properly released on vinyl. It's grand but not something I feel the need to hear often. The book is class though.

Bruce Springsteen Nebraska:
The Springsteen album for people who don't like Springsteen. Fucking terrific album. I keep meaning to give his other stuff a fairer chance based on this but I'm afraid I'll just be disappointed.

Neil Young Tonight’s the Night:
A lot of people's favourite Neil Young album but for me it is a B or B+ at best. Lots of spirit and doomy vibes off it but it feels too disjointed without enough catharsis to cut through the "all my friends are dying and my marriage is in bits" atmosphere.

Hilmar Örn Hilmarsson & Sigur Rós Angels of the Universe:
Largely boring with some nice classic Sigur Rós soaring bowed guitars moments.

Circle Forest
Circle Tyrant
Circle Andexelt:
The only three circle albums I have but every time I hear them I keep meaning to go spend a ton of money to get more. I can't pick a favourite out of these three. Forest is a heady, atmospheric work that sounds like Indian classical music transported to Finland, Tyrant is a more straightforward kraut/heavy rock album and Andexelt doesn't know what it wants to be but it's cool anyway. Give the first track from Forest a go, it takes 2-3 minutes to get going but it's worth waiting for.

I'm listening to Kanye The College Dropout for the first time ever

And its my birthday.Great timing.Its a gift!

I'm not that familiar with it either, I've listened to it about 2 or 3 times in my whole life. There are a few albums from around that time that stand out in my mind from the run of completely shit albums that began with Graffiti Bridge (no, I mean Lovesexy) and continues to this day. Musicology, The Slaughterhouse and The Chocolate Invasion. I like them.

Just listening to The Chocolate Invasion since it's on Tidal, along with his current piece of crap album, and it's waayyyy better than I remember it! I'm really enjoying it.

Hard to tell if it's due to the increase in the quality on Tidal over the shitty mp3's by way of DRM'd WMAs I had before or just reduced expectations...

02-Linden-Arden-Stole-The-Highlights-mp3-image.jpg

I've never listened to much Van Morrison stuff past Them and Astral Weeks never clicked, but Veedon Fleece is fast becoming a favourite album. 5 stars.

blackbreath.jpg

Sure why not go from Van to some death metal / hardcore shit? Haven;t got the new one yet but giving this a few spins - there's some savage riffing on it but some pretty boring parts too. For now, 3 stars.

myles-barlow1.jpg

Still haven't heard 1989 , it's not even available on Tidal, get it together Taylor Swift!

the Girl Band album - it's alright. The kind of band I really like live but won't actually listen to much apart from the catchy singles. In pre-Spotify days I probably would've bought this on the hype but now I've saved myself a tenner and can just add the good songs to a playlist.

Right, lets do this

First song, like the music in a soundtrack to driverkind of way, Not mad on TayTay's singing bits.

OK. Really liked 2 swift versions, half really liked 2 more plus the backing track to the opener.
Liked 3 Adams versions.

Only one song, shake it off, was into both versions.

Will likely never listen to either album again

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back