What you been listening to this week? (6 Viewers)

I think I'm running out of steam with this writing a comment about each one thing

Mohammad Reza Shajarian - Mahur
Recently started listening to this singer, he's deadly. Musically it reminds a bit of stuff like Robbie Basho except it's group playing and has easterny (iranian I guess) vibe.

Chris Cutler - Solo
Drums with effects/electronics. Goes on too long

Mohammad Reza Shajarian - Rendan-e Mast

A-ha - Scoundrel Days
Amazing. I refer the sceptical to these two blog posts by Ned Ragget
What Was It Anyway?: a-ha - Scoundrel Days
ILMiXor: a-ha, "The Swing of Things"

The second link there says this about The Swing of Things:
Instead it's a discussion of how the construction of interdependent world politics and its reportage in the mainstream media results in an overwhelming conclusion that all matters everywhere must be attended to by all thinking persons on a regular basis, as well as a discussion of how engaging with the world will yet provide better results than completely withdrawing from it, but how in the face of those observations, especially and even when conveyed by someone who could well be an activist of some sort, the feelings of romantic love for that other can in fact override these considerations, leading to an admission that the personal can transcend the political, which given the nature of the potentially overwhelming pressures of modern life is perfectly understandable.

A-ha - Stay On These Roads
Nowhere near as good as Scoundrel Days. Fairly crappy production but some great songs.

Sun Ra - Crystal Spears
Wierd sun ra, not hugely engaging

Tanita Tikaram - Ancient Heart
I like it

Tanita Tikaram - The Sweet Keeper
Excellent

Tanita Tikaram - Everybody's Angel
First listen to this one I think. Not great, sounds like bad leonard cohen.

Roy Harper - Work of Heart
Decent low key songs, questionable arrangement and production decisions

Jandek - New Town
Mellow Jandek, one of his best

Pink Floyd - More
I like it

Hiroshi Yoshimura - Pier & Loft
Minimal, pretty synth melodies. Very cosy.

Art Bears - Hopes & Fears
Proggy pop/rock songs. Recorded as a Henry Cow album but then they decided it wasn't rally a Henry Cow album.

Grace Jones - Warm Leatherette

Iannis Xenakis - GRM Works 1957-1962

You're COMPLETELY WRONG about those Fushitsusha albums, they're way better than nazorani
They're fine but they don't feel like Fushitsusha to me. I suppose they pick up where Origin's Hesitation left off but I thought that it was a let down for me. I don't necessarily want to hear just the riff-based stuff but Haino has done these oddball, sparse pieces better elsewhere. The Nazoranai albums are some of his best stuff, total crushers.

Oh, man. Did I ever play the ever-loving shit out of that when it came out.
I was borderline obsessed with that record.
Jaysis.

I like it. It's a bit cornball but works for me.

Metallica: Stanger
musical moments that are actually convincing on this album are like oases in the desert - more refreshing than tap water in the city.
Celtic Frost: Morbid Tales
always stunning - I also think Stephen Priestly established quite a unique and wonderful drum style on this record. Some of the mid-tempo stuff sounds incredibly fresh, even today
XTC: Drums and Wires
never warmed to this one apart from the excellent singles - didn't happen today either
Eno: Ambient 4 On Land
I generally avoid the combination of Eno and Lanois and run in fear from Bill Laswell so it took me a long time to get to this one. Wonderful surprise, it actually fits the definition of 'ambient' - muck like 'Thursday Afternoon' etc. can go suck a fuck
Vasilisk: Whirling Dervishes
Oddball mish-mash of ritualistic noises and naive 'proper' music from Japan. Sometimes bits of this sound totally mind-blowing and other times like nothing in particular - I like it a lot
Camarata: The Electronic Spirit of Satie
nasty cash-in on the success of the 'The Velvet Gentleman' album (one of my desert island discs) avoid this one like the pox

The Hard Ground - Triptych
This is really great. Proper late night music. The first 2/3rds of it is up on Spotify already, but the whole album is out next week and I endorse this product and / or service.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The Hard Ground - Pucker by pete posted Mar 13, 2015

Dag Nasty - All Ages Show EP
I think I've said it before, but this website wouldn't exist if it wasn't for a now long-lost C90 tape I was given completely by chance in the summer of 1988. The tape contained Dag Nasty's Wig Out At Denkos & Field Day LPs, and 7 Seconds' Walk Together, Rock Together LP, and it was unlike anything I'd ever listened to before. When I finally got Field Day on CD a couple of years later, the three songs from the All Ages Show 7" were included as some of the bonus tracks. I don't know what prompted it, but I dug it up this week - maybe because All Ages Show is one of the greatest songs ever written?

Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels & Run The Jewels 2
So good. I've been listening to RTJ2 almost every day for three months now, with RTJ getting more plays of late. They're already talking about RTJ3...

Suffocation - Pinnacle Of Bedlam
This came out in 2013 and somehow I completely missed it. It's a Suffocation album, that's for sure. Quality.

edit: better throw this in here too now

Last edited:
Sleater-Kinney: No Cities to Love -
It's a good album and it's great to have them back but it's the first album where they don't seem to be moving forward or stretching their sound, it's more of an entrenchment, a slight disappointment in that way. Hopefully they'll have more after this though.

Cristina - Cristina
An 1980 August Darnell production, with his fingerprints all over it, like a new-wave take on Big Band music. Excellent stuff with great lyrics.

Cristina - Sleep it Off
A more obviously pop album with squeaky synths and sex pistols guitars. With a Van Morrison cover and a song from the Threepenny Opera on there the whole thing was probably far too intellectual to ever be more than a cult album. Peerless though.

Prince - Art Official Age
I don't think there's any bad songs on his album from last year, although I'm not sure anyone really wanted to hear him doing EDM pop. Some of it is bizarre in that it's Prince imitating a mid 90's R'n'B revival sound that he was both around for the first time and at least partly inspired in the first place.

The concept only applies to a few songs at the start and end of the album with the rest a random assortment of outtakes from the past few years. U Know is the highlight.

Prince - 1999
Just to remind myself how flawless he once was, although he was still throwing curveballs like Free, presumably just to fuck with listeners.

Tove Lo - Queen of the Clouds
Some is great, some a bit modern pop by numbers weak. I don't think it's as good as people want it to be and compared to how Robyn and Annie songs sounded when this scando-pop scene was relatively new, it's lacking something. Still decent overall though.

Sparks - Music that You Can Dance to
One of their almost completely forgotten mid 80's dance albums. It's actually a really interesting attempt at taking the gimmicky HI NRG dance pop, A la SAW, and doing something good with it. The title track sounds like a hit (even though it wasn't) but then they push the sound further and further throughout the album before it pretty much breaks on the last track with the orchestra stabs so loud the whole thing is tottering around like a drunken Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Also contains a bizarro cover of Fingertips by Stevie Wonder, complete with fake live audience sounds.

Sparks - Interior Design
Even more forgotten than the last one. They added a pile of commercial Top Gun rock guitar on the synths here. It's almost unique in Sparks history in having a load of what appear to be straight-forward love songs, either in a misguided attempt at a commercial hit or, more likely, just them trying something no one would expect. Not a perfect album but much better than every review says.

Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels & Run The Jewels 2
So good. I've been listening to RTJ2 almost every day for three months now, with RTJ getting more plays of late. They're already talking about RTJ3...
They issued a RTJ2 with all the curses taken out. So you can play it with kids in the car, I guess.

Fushitsusha - The grey-sleeved one of the recent albums, whatever it's called (heartfast 16)
This young drummer lad is great. Some drummers he's played with might as well not be there (e.g. whoever plays on I Saw It! - great album and all but I dunno. The time I saw Vajra play the drummer looked terrified of Haino for the entire thing. Im sure he wouldn't have bothered playing if that was the case...). This new guy seems to be able to make his mark within the bounds Haino sets him. At the gigs a couple of years ago you could see him totally going for it when he was actively not hitting the drums. Maybe he didn't like it as much as me.

Roy Harper - Born In Captivity
Demo versions of the Work Of Heart album (and of Elizabeth from Whatever Happened to Jugula?) with slightly different contents. Way better than WoH which didn't even have 'Stan' - a song that almost makes me believe that I could belong at a soccer match. ht-ps://Stan - YouTube

The Dead C - Secret Earth
The first Dead C album I listened to. For some reason (I don't remember it now) I had written them off without ever hearing them. I decided to go to a Dead C gig that happened down the hill from where the cover photo was taken at a time when I was living down the road. I saw the cover on the merch table and went for it because of the photo. I like the album, its fairly accessible/catchy by Dead C standards and it's also a souvenir of a short, idyllic interlude in my life and stuff.

Van der Graaf Generator - H to He Who Am The Only One
Striving towards greatness but not quite there yet. Most of the elements that made Pawn Hearts so exciting are in place here but not quite mastered. The lyrics in particular are a bit unrefined and the production lacks the depth and sheen of PH. I love House With No Door.

Solid Eye - Live at Tokuzo
Everything by Solid Eye is pretty great. Sorta Free Improv but with a very different sound pallete to the music that the description usually refers. Dreamy, woozy keyboards, tape loops, scraping and rattling stuff

Lives of Angels - Elevator to Eden
Catchy 80s guitar/synth/drum machine music, whatever genre you'd call it. Excellent songs

Roy Harper - Whatever Happened to Jugula?
It's a long way from Stormcock and HQ, and abbey road and big label money and all that. One of his very best albums, in my view. Great songs, very varied. Work of Heart sounding like somebody booted out of the club trying desperately to claw their way back in, this one sounds like somebody who's settled right in in the margins/fringes.

Sonic Youth / Jim O'Rourke - SYR3 Invito Al Ĉielo
It's one of the few things on my phone, listened on the bus. It's nice.

Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell
Decided to have a listen to this lad and see what the deal is. It's pure shite.

John Wiese - Deviate from Balance
First listen, seems to be mostly pretty good (abstract/noise/whatever-you-call-this-stuff)

Jeanne Demessieux - 6 Etudes, 7 Meditations (performed by Leonardo Ciampi)
Organ music, first listen to this one. It has it's moments but I'm not mad about organ music when it gets excitable, it just sounds like a mess to me at these times and theres a bit too much of it on these pieces.

Amen Dunes - Through Donkey Jaw
Mumbly electric guitar songs, incomprehensible lyrics, lots of reverb and delay. Took me a while to warm to this but I really like it now.

Cardiacs - On Land & in the Sea
I keep coming back to Cardiacs in case this time I'll like them but no joy so far. Still, this time I caught a few glimpses of something or other that will probably draw me back again. I hate the singing, I just hear a hideous mix of the worst of blur and elvis costello.

Cardiacs - On Land & in the Sea
I keep coming back to Cardiacs in case this time I'll like them but no joy so far. Still, this time I caught a few glimpses of something or other that will probably draw me back again. I hate the singing, I just hear a hideous mix of the worst of blur and elvis costello.
i've never been able to get past A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window, which seems to be simultaneously their 4th and debut album. I absolutely love it but it's so exhausting I can't face the prospect of more.

Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso U.F.O. Live in Occident
Reissue of this live album from the early 2000s. I find AMT really patchy on record, their studio work rarely captures the fire and fun of the live shows and the live recordings frequently fall short. However, this one is a doozy. When I finally get around to whittling my AMT albums down to a core collection, this one will be a definite keeper.

Fushitsusha & Peter Brötzmann Nothing Changes No One Can Change Anything, I Am Ever-Changing Only You Can Change Yourself
Live recording from 90s during Fushitsusha's glory years that got released last year. Three CDs of superlatively immersive heavy psych with The Brötz doing his thing over disc two and at the end of disc three. This is a monster.

Nurse With Wound/Graham Bowers Mutation: The Lunatics Are Running the Asylum
Latest one from these guys. I've only had one listen through and it's pretty much as expected with Bowers' MIDI meltdown and Stapleton's sinister whimsy. Need more time with it to form a more definite opinion but I like it, darker than the previous installments.

Kushal Das Raga Marwa – Surbahar
A friend of mine recommended this to me when we were talking about Indian classical music recently. Apparently the surbahar is like a bass sitar and Das is a terrific player, gorgeous sound throughout this album. Whole thing is on youtube for anyone interested.

La Monte Young Trio for Strings
La Monte Young/Marian Zazeela unknown recording
Bootleg recordings I got off the internet. Trio for Strings was Young's first piece to really explore long tones and to me is the Year Zero of Minimalism. It's a harder listen than Reich or Glass as they still use melody and rhythm in a more digestible way whereas Young will let a tone hang for as long as possible before it fades into nothing. The Young/Zazeela piece features a later version of The Theatre of Eternal Music (originally Young, Zazeela, John Cale, Tony Conrad and Angus MacLise) as it sounds like the brass players from his Second Dream... CD. Long brass tones, an electronic sine wave and Young and Zazeela singing drones; it's out of this world.

John Coltrane & Don Cherry The Avant-Garde
First Coltrane album I ever got. First Cherry album I ever got. Not my favourite by either but it's a classic nonetheless.

Keiji Haino/Jim O'Rourke/Oren Ambarchi Only Wanting to Melt Beautifully Away Is It a Lack of Contentment That Stirs Affection for Those Things Said to Be as of Yet Unseen
Mostly downkey acoustic set from these guys. Finishes with a furnace of electronics at the end. Short enough (given that Haino normally aims for the 80 min mark on CDs) and very satisfying.

Black Sabbath Paranoid
Iron Maiden The Number of the Beast
King Crimson In the Court of the Crimson King
Does anyone really need anything said about these beyond "FUCK YEAH!"?

Zeitkratzer + Keiji Haino Live At Jahrhunderthalle Bochum
Second album with Zeitkratzer and much better than the lukewarm one from 2008. Here they really gel together, ethereal music for a journey through who knows what. Odd ducks but worth investing your time in.

Keiji Haino Experimental Mixture: The Greatest Hits of the Music
Another DJ album and possibly the most ambitious album title ever.

Nazoranai The Most Painful Time Happens Only Once Has It Arrived Already..?
Second album from this trio and it's more of the same. Not quite as great as the first one but I really dig this. @Shaney: it's also better than those new Fushitsusha albums!

Keiji Haino/Peter Brötzmann/Jim O'Rourke Two City Blues 2
This falls more into the free jazz idiom than Haino's rock assault thanks to Brötzmann acting more like a shephard than anything. Granted a shephard who is going to slaughter all his sheep and play free jazz saxophone with their lungs but a shephard nonetheless.

Keiji Haino/Jim O'Rourke/Oren Ambarchi Tea Time for Those Determined to Completely Exhaust Every Bit of this Body They've Been Given
The second half of a live show (first half mentioned above) where they play more to form. It's good but I'm preferring the albums by them that break out a bit from just jamming. Granted I've only listened to this once so it might grow on me more.

Keiji Haino/Peter Brötzmann/Jim O'Rourke Two City Blues 1
Another album from the same sessions as above. Shorter and more focussed, this is a much more fun album.

Arvo Pärt Passio [The Hilliard Ensemble]
The only Easter album I own. Or need. Pärt-fection.

Johann Sebastian Bach Goldberg Variations [Gould]
Johann Sebastian Bach Goldberg Variations [Galling]
Glenn Gould's piano take on GV is definitive, no doubt about it. Galling's go on the harpsichord is less nuanced but is wonderful too.

The Birthday Party Mutiny/The Bad Seed
HANDS UP WHO WANTS TO DIE!?!?

Coil Moon’s Milk (In Four Phases)
Compilation of Coil's seasonal EPs (Spring Equinox, Summer Solstice, Autumn Equinox and Winter Solstice). I had put it on for the spring tracks but ended up listening to the whole thing. Incredible mix of electronics, folk, avant garde and ancient tradition; this is one of my favourite set of recordings from anyone. That said, it is always strange listening to a Christmas song in April.

Om Live
Good bootleg quality (though it's an official release as far as I know) of a recent enough show (as it has Robert Lowe/Lichens in the line up). I loved loved loved this trio version of Om when they played The Button Factory and this does a good job of capturing those feelings. Way better than the two other Om live albums which sound like shit.

Bob Dylan The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan
This guy!

Tony Conrad ISSUE Project Room, 9/23/09
Podcast I think from a while ago. Very short and strange vocal piece to begin and then half an hour of concentrated viola drone.

Nurse With Wound Lea Tanttaaria/Great-God-Father-Nieces
Short EP of 80s NWW recordings that I didn't have. Sounds like sketchwork for some of his 80s work. Nice diversion.

Keiji Haino & Tony Conrad live at the Instal Festival, 14th October 2006 bootleg
Bootleg recording (think it's a radio broadcast because it sounds pretty good) of these two jamming the fuck out of each other. I'd love to have been there.

La Monte Young Just Charles in the Romantic Chord [Curtis]
Bootleg recording of Young's most recent piece (from the late 90s/early 2000s) for solo celloist (Charles Curtis). The cello is a great instrument for Young's approach to drone and at two hours long, there is enough here to really get your teeth into. Well enough of a very restricted number of frequencies.

Albert Ayler Bells
After all that drone, something to blast the cobwebs out of the ears. Skronking masterpiece that's far far too short.

Inoyama Land - Danzindan Pojidon
Nice pretty keyboard music

Olivier Messiaen - Meditations on the Mystery of the Holy Trinity (performed by Jennifer Bate)
Nice organ music

Ernest Hood - Neighborhoods
Field recordings of everyday neighbourhood sounds with pretty, noodly keyboards over it. Meh. First and last listen to this, I think.

Fred Frith & John Butcher - The Natural Order
First listen. Sax and guitar improv. Quite varied and inventive, very enjoyable.

Zs - 33
First time to listen to these guys, kinda weirdy drums. guitar and sax music. Not sure about it but I will try some more of their music I think.

Jessika Kenney & Eyvind Kang - The Face of the Earth
We discussed this one before, it's deadly, one of my favorite albums of the last few years. Mind you, listening to so much Mohammad Reza Shajarian lately has taken the sheen off Jessika's singing slightly but she's thoroughly enchanting nonetheless.

Seaven Teares - Power Ballads
First listen to this ridiculous, poncey, 60s psychfolk-influenced folk rock from 2 years ago. Has effective 80s-style synth riffs on one song. I disapprove of joke music and musical pastiche generally but I can't tell if this is an example or not.

Roy Harper - Descendants of Smith
I seem to be working my way chronologically through Harper's post-1980 albums. This was one of the first of his albums that I got (2nd hand tape in freebird). It has never been one of my favorites. The minimal stripped-back 1987 production sounds a bit flat now but not as naff as I remembered it. There are a few great songs here too which helps, it's just a pity there isn't a bit more edge to it. Crap, the next one on the list is Loony on the Bus.

Roy Harper - Loony on the Bus
Put this on just to get it out of the way but it's not so bad, he just should never have released it. There are a few cool songs that would have made decent singles or an EP.

Roy Harper - Burn the World
A very odd album, it has just two versions (a studio demo and a live solo version) of the same long, strange, unapproachable song. He says this about it in the notes on his website: "One of two things should actually happen to it. A, Preferably it should be destroyed, or B, it should be progressed. Neither of these are going to happen in my lifetime.... .... the performance in the two versions falls on its arse." Again, the question "WHY?" arises in relation to it's existence as an album that you can buy but at least this does have genuine curiosity value and the live version is quite intriguing.

Pierre Cochereau - Dupré
I've listened to some amount of organ music in the last year or two in search of something that I might like as much as I like Tournemire's L'Orgue Mystique or some of Messaein's pieces but I haven't found anything that comes close. Dupré does have some nice things here though in between the baffling jiggy bits.

Rashad Becker - Traditional Music of Notional Species Vol. I
Synths or something, I dunno what he's at. I didn't immediately fall for this album even though it sounds like Solid Eye or Points of Friction but I have grown very fond of it since.

Jar Moff - Commercial Mouth
Another of my favorite albums of recent years. For those who are unfamiliar with it - I don't know how you'd describe it. Experimental music of some kind.

I forgot that I have already reviewed all these roy harper albums in "Rate all of their albums"

Roy Harper
- Once
A very patchy album in my view, although it seems to be generally well regarded by fans, probably because it's mainly acoustic and stripped of the 80s sounding stuff and has kate bush and david gilmour on it. There are a few great songs but its mostly mediocre with a couple of horrible stinkers e.g. The Black Cloud Of Islam. Islam wisely refused to take the bait there and completely ignored the song.

Mohammad Reza Shajarian - Night Silence Desert
Very nice persian playing and warbling.

Kathryn Stott - Koechlin: Les Heures Persanes
Dusky, mellow piano music by Koechlin, evocative of something or other. I liked this on the first few listens but I think I'm bored of it now. It's all a bit soft focus.

Ground Zero - Consume Red
Exciting and/or aggravating 57 minute tune.

Lotte Anker & Fred Frith - Edge of the Light
Bleh

Kate Bush - The Dreaming

The Tenses - Cosmic Dust
Deadly, I love this kinda stuff. Much the same as Smegma but with only the weirdest bits left.

Sun Ra - Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy
First Sun Ra album I heard, still a favorite.

Sun Ra - When Angels Speak of Love
Great stuff

Oval - 94diskont
Music made from skipping cds (i think...) but it only vaguely sounds like it. I've listened to this regularly since I first heard it in the late 90s and it still sounds fresh and beautiful and unlike anything else but then again for the most part I've spent my life avoiding elctronica so I wouldn't really know.

Points of Friction - Sackcloth and Ashes
An old favorite. "The unorthodox exploration of keyboards, guitars, toy instruments, the assemblage of field recordings, noise improvisations, and tape loops tantalize the senses with arousing emotive power." Arousing, heh.

Sussan Deyhim & Shirin Neshat - Turbulent
"There is a deep darkness in this music, but it's a darkness that contains no violence or evil, only the darkness of silence, of self-annihilation in the presence of God, and of whispering in the void and listening so hard that when any sound or breath occurs, it is an act of grace."
Some lad on All Music Guide wrote that. I can't be bothered thinking up things to say myself anymore but that description is highly inaccurate. There is sound all the way through this and no silence.

John Coltrane & Don Cherry The Avant-Garde
First Coltrane album I ever got. First Cherry album I ever got. Not my favourite by either but it's a classic nonetheless.
What's classic about it? It's a discarded session that neither authorised the release of, and pretty forgettable.

What's classic about it? It's a discarded session that neither authorised the release of, and pretty forgettable.

I didn't know that it was a discarded session but I think it's pretty good, nice mix of pieces and they work really well together to my ears. I prefer their separate stuff which fits the description of the avant garde more than this material but I think this one is a lot better than a substantial chunk of Coltrane's more straight work, nudging it into classic territory for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back