What you been listening to this week? (3 Viewers)

Def Leppard-first strike 7"
Def Leppard-two arms to arms lp
Rezillos-mission accomplished lp
Ian Hunter-overnight angels lp
Nosferatu-solution a lp
Nosferatu-a field of hope lp
Captain Beyond - s/t lp
Snuff-the wrath of thoth 12"

I periodically purchase some forgotten CDs from the Prince extended universe, been listening to this album today - Mavis Staples - Time Waits for No One - released on Prince's Paisley Park records in 1989

514NrtY3MDL._SL1000_.jpg

Prince wrote 6 out of 8 tracks and produced the other whole thing. Produced in a mushy, synthetic woeful late 80s way. For anyone who thinks the Batman soundtrack was a clearing house for outtakes, try this. Imagine the Arms of Orion but recorded over probably a single weekend. It's a pity though, there's some good tracks buried under it all, Train and the title track are excellent, as is Come Home. The non-Prince written tracks are considerably worse.

I think it took him a while to get his shit together at Paisley Park and realize that having your own studio doesn't automatically make everything sound great, this whole thing screams of Graffiti Bridge (the film!) production values.

Anyway, for the dedicated only. Mavis Staples deserves better, in fairness to Prince he fairly took her in in the late 80s and kept her career going, long before anyone else thought of pushing her as a legacy act.

Last edited:
Eye yam listening to the Times Square soundtrack, a wonderfully confused mix of US and UK glam and punk that doesn't really know what it is, much like the film.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Eye yam listening to the Times Square soundtrack, a wonderfully confused mix of US and UK glam and punk that doesn't really know what it is, much like the film.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I must watch this terrible movie again. It's been too long

I am listening to Humble Pie for the first time ever. I have never heard anything more 70s aside from maybe the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. Fair play.

I'm just flicking through their discography, it all goes very led zep after a few years, I suppose his voice lends itself to that faux-gospel stuff. There's a live album here and he's doing 70s rock church testifying inbetween songs, it's a bit morto now but i'd say it was very exciting at the time. It seems the earlier stuff is a bit more reigned in? Closer to Get Yourself Together-era Small Faces.

Listening to big, sweeping, slow guitar music:

Lift to Experience - The Texas Jerusalem Crossroads
Low - Double Negative (I listened to some Retribution Gospel Choir also, but it is VERY patchy. Not a scratch on this)
Earth - Primitive and Deadly

Listening to big, sweeping, slow guitar music:

Lift to Experience - The Texas Jerusalem Crossroads
Low - Double Negative (I listened to some Retribution Gospel Choir also, but it is VERY patchy. Not a scratch on this)
Earth - Primitive and Deadly
Low really keep guitars to a minimum on that album though, no? Lots of electronics, treated bass, noise etc. Some guitar flourishes alright. Deadly album.

I've been listening to live Marillion albums.
Every couple of years they release the live albums from on of the previous Marillion Weekends. I've never listened to them because live albums, meh. Plus I wasn't at any of the weekends (they do them in UK, Holland, Canada, Portugal, Brazil). This year's Convention was online and they showed 3 nights of concerts last weekend. They were deadly. So I've got plenty of listening to do.
Yesterday listened to one of the nights from 2010, the theme of the night was THE LONG SONGS, 10 songs, 2 hours long. Class.

Anthony - when you go on about MARILLION it always reminds me of two other Thumpsters:
the guy whose fave band is KINGS X
and the lad who's a huge OVERKILL fan.

to still be getting the buzz after so many years and records .
maybe it's the long term band/fan relationship that as a sports fan I can relate to ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back