What you been listening to this week? (2 Viewers)

I really like it to be fair.

It's very long, and earnest (obviously). You can dip in and out and it's still going.

I remember when this album was coming out and it was supposed to be them going back to the 'heavy' manics, after the Masses and Found that Soul singles. But looking back now, it's only two albums since the Holy Bible. They had different plans than a thick like me. James clearly just loves music and songs.

Once I got over my old distaste for the This Is My Truth singles at the start of this project, I am totally back on board with the lads and they are my friends and I love them. Wherever these next albums go I will be behind them.
I've listened to Know Your Enemy about 4 times this week.

On the one hand, it's way better than I remember, on the other I'm still not gonna recommend it to people.

I'm trying to work out what my problems with it are though. Nicky WIre has a tendency to write terrible lyrics and sometimes I think James is really struggling to find a tune for them (which is weird, considering what he managed to do with the "this song is just a list of names" stuff previously). The album has so much guitarring that's really good, but like, intravenous agnostic for example, what's going on there? Why is it such a bad song with such good guitars? I'm very conflicted about it all.

I'm now listening to all the B-sides from the era anyway. I see the Avalanches turned the terrible Beach Boys one into a good song:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(incidentally, listen to the David Holmes remix of You Stole the Sun, manages to save it from itself and the whole now everybody jump up and down chorus, you can concentrate on the lovely guitar riff and verse melodies)

Last edited:
I think James is really struggling to find a tune for them (which is weird, considering what he managed to do with the "this song is just a list of names" stuff previously). The album has so much guitarring that's really good, but like, intravenous agnostic for example, what's going on there?

I wish ken loach would cast JDB in a lead role just to tie up my perception of him.

jdb.jpg

I wish ken loach would cast JDB in a lead role just to tie up my perception of him.

View attachment 13954
There was an amazing interview with him about his favourite pub at one point. Seems to have fallen off the internet though

James-Dean-Bradfield-009.jpg

anyway here he is singing Die Laughing with Therapy?

There was an amazing interview with him about his favourite pub at one point. Seems to have fallen off the internet though

jdb said:
To make a film of the story of the Manic Street Preachers - to take in all its darkness, all its glammed-up grit - you would need to splice together Ken Loach and Pedro Almodovar to direct it. (Bradfield's not sure about Loach. He recently saw Carla's Song on TV.

He wasn't impressed. Ken's lost it a bit, he reckons. ) It would be a long, wild, dark film and at the moment there's no obvious fade-out.

FFS

Bob Dylan - More Blood, More Tracks: The Bootleg Series Vol. 14
I didn't think I needed 9 back-to-back takes of You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go but it turns out I do.
I've just heard the one-disc sampler from that and I loved it. Wasn't sure if I was up to a whole box of it though, think I might pick up the 2LP of it though.

I've just heard the one-disc sampler from that and I loved it. Wasn't sure if I was up to a whole box of it though, think I might pick up the 2LP of it though.
I downloaded it. I was thinking of listening a bit selectively but that was too much trouble so I just played it through (apart from skipping the Meht Meh In The Mehning ones) and it's great. I haven't listened to discs 4 or 5 yet. 4 starts off with yet another 2 takes of You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go.

I’m pulling out 90s indie records. Listening to a band called Franklin, both the debut Go Kid Go and their ‘99 self-titled album, which are both pretty great, heavy Hoover, Fugazi influence and the latter one is much more dub influenced. I think they both hold up.

Here’s a rare write up Bands That Time Forgot: Franklin - Alternative Press
Have fallen back in love with Hoover recently in a big way

I’m pulling out 90s indie records. Listening to a band called Franklin, both the debut Go Kid Go and their ‘99 self-titled album, which are both pretty great, heavy Hoover, Fugazi influence and the latter one is much more dub influenced. I think they both hold up.

Here’s a rare write up Bands That Time Forgot: Franklin - Alternative Press
Missed this because I was caught up in the manics. Tell you what Franklin are fucking class. The 7" version of Major Taylor is one of my favourite songs ever

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

sure who doesn't love a one note whistle solo

The Jai-Alai Savant were pretty damn good as well, I believe they had one Dublin show booked that got cancelled due to lack of interest or something :rolleyes:

I don't think I've read that interview. I'm going to have to ask someone on a fan forum to dig it out seeing as it concerns my two great loves in life.

Definitely gonna give KYE a spin today. Looking at setlist.fm it turns out I was at the one and only gig they ever played Intravenous Agnostic at. They're re-releasing it in 2021 of course so hope they play it!

I don't think I've read that interview. I'm going to have to ask someone on a fan forum to dig it out seeing as it concerns my two great loves in life.

Ah here it is

Definitely gonna give KYE a spin today. Looking at setlist.fm it turns out I was at the one and only gig they ever played Intravenous Agnostic at. They're re-releasing it in 2021 of course so hope they play it!
Not that gig but it's still fucking insane that they used to put on gigs in Smithfield. That was the first time I saw them, good gig!

What were you doing in Wales though? Godawful setlist there

Ah here it is

Not that gig but it's still fucking insane that they used to put on gigs in Smithfield. That was the first time I saw them, good gig!

What were you doing in Wales though? Godawful setlist there

Smithfield was my first one too. Good craic queuing from 7.30am and all that. A friend of a friend had a go at Dave Fanning in the afternoon (he was wandering around interviewing Mark Greaney) about asking JDB in a tv interview 'Is Richey dead?'.

Went off to Wales with two people I had met on the internet and at Smithfield. We did Llandudno (bit dull if I remember correctly) and Cardiff (amazing - starting with You Love Us set the mood) together and then I went off on my own for two days of Reading. Highlights being King Adora and the Dropkick Murphys apart from themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back