What was your favourite book as a kid? (1 Viewer)

and the best of them all

HauntingOfHillHouse.JPG

I remember reading the Books of Blood as a kid and being obsessed and terrified. I have a particularly vivid memory of reading "dread" and it messing me up.

I had to look that particular story up to remember it, yeah, that one was pretty disturbing. The Books of Blood are incredible though. The amount of imagination packed into each story.

Weaveworld was a real favourite too.

I remember reading the Books of Blood as a kid and being obsessed and terrified. I have a particularly vivid memory of reading "dread" and it messing me up.

The only Clive Barker I read as a teenager was The Great and Secret Show. Thought it was great - but The Jaffe freaked me out. Not really suitable for youngsters though. Full of sex... and it's not sexy sex.

the-great-and-secret-show~16034512.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Can Young Adult fiction go too far?

good read, this bit is interesting

Wilkinson noted that now readers in their mid/late teens are finding YA books, rather than viewing these titles as too childish and not for them. The “John Green effect” means that books are more likely to get into the hands of the age group the author hopes for. O’Neill added that while readers as young as 11 have read her book, they tend to focus on the romance elements and not pick up on the more disturbing implications that concern older readers.

A bit depressing

The power is in the people’s hands. If the book-buying public can bypass the easy options, and overlook the celebrity offerings, then it will change the dynamic for writers too

Lol nah man, you can't absolve yourself so easily.

On the plus side, people have been chomping at the bit to cancel David Walliams for a while now so that'll at least keep us entertained for day or two at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back