What was the first gig you ever went to?? (1 Viewer)

Yep, our Mark is 19. I think...maybe not yet. Actually he might be one of the younger out of the whole Axis Of bunch.

Here Mark, are ye already 19?

Seriously bob you should be my PR like haha. But yea i am.

I think that was my first? Well my first big gig. It was in 04 so i was like 15/14

But i had been to many an underage drunken fueled Ballintoy band nights before this.

Did many of you lot play Ballintoy? Answers in the format of

YEAR
YOUNGEST DRUNK THERE

Viva the Ballintoy. Come to think of it, thats were most North Coast punk/otherwise bands started.

Now a pressing question arises, what the hell did you do for you bday? And subsequently, if it was before London, was I blitzed by any chance?

But yeah, Ballintoy is where at least 50% of the old school North Coast bands started.

The strougers were formed in septenber 1977 and played Ramones covers along with original tunes like speed it on and future generation. They played the dandelion market 3 maybe 4 times and all the usual haunts like mcgonagles, toners, the baggot, the ivy rooms etc. Lotsa radio play and a tv appearance followed. This was a time when you could send your ''demo tape'' in to a radio station and get airplay and an interview etc. Our badge read''the strougers, faster than the ramones'' The band imploded around 1981. Never made it on to vinyl although there are a couple of demo tapes around somewhere. Check out irishrock.org and you will find an abundance of info on irish punk/new wave bands. I'm still gigging with a new band called THE LEE HARVEYS playin the usual 3-chord tunes.

cheers

bitzy
More info please on the Strougers,especially if recordings exist.

stiff little fingers - tv club dublin november 82

re the clash gigs in the sfx. this is england wasnt dropped the 2nd night. i was there and have recordings of both nights.

i've a feeling i've already posted this on this thread but my first ever gig was fear factory at the SFX, 1998 (seeing pisschrist played live is still one of the finest moments of my life), and my first punk gig was oi polloi, puget sound and homebrew in the basement of frazers, i think april 2000. also first time i met barry lennon. actually i'm fairly sure that anecdote is somewhere in the depths of this thread too.

holy shit nooly i went to a gig before you!! that must earn me at least a dennis the menace badge!

beside crappy local bands and house gigs, i guess mine would be rancid and afi in 94? london ontario

Would have loved to have seen AFI back then. Some of their early stuff is fuckin awesome.
ya never heard of them till that night they fuckin blew me away, so fast, sort of a shame as they were killer. seen them loads of the next few years get worse and worse, till the point we were throwing shit at them and only there for the opening bands. think last time i saw them was in 2002? leftover crack was opening for them in toronto they, loc, played 4 songs then the drummer walked off in the middle of the set not sure if we stayed or left at that point, the fuckin emo kids hated loc it was class me and about 4 mates had the whole floor at the opera house the kids fuckin legged it

shaun-cassidy-3.jpg

back in the 70's.

This guy:

shakin_stevens

ha

first gig: shakin' stevens in the national arena (12th June 1981).
I don't count the front row seats at a couple of Dickie Rock shows in the Olympia

first punk gig: ripcord in mcgonagles, 1988 (or was it 87?)
Or it was possibly The Instigators around the same time. Pretty sure it was ripcord though.

first metal gig: Ozzy Osbourne in the Top Hat, 1988

ya never heard of them till that night they fuckin blew me away, so fast, sort of a shame as they were killer. seen them loads of the next few years get worse and worse, till the point we were throwing shit at them and only there for the opening bands. think last time i saw them was in 2002? leftover crack was opening for them in toronto they, loc, played 4 songs then the drummer walked off in the middle of the set not sure if we stayed or left at that point, the fuckin emo kids hated loc it was class me and about 4 mates had the whole floor at the opera house the kids fuckin legged it

I dunno what left over crack were like then, but now they are fucking shite. I like some of the recorded stuff. I just don't tolerate bands slagging other bands from the stage when they aren't there to defend themselves. They started slagging the Murphys at the last Galway gig and I took it fairly badly. They've been very good to Irish bands and I wasn't going to stand there and listen to them slag them just for the fuckin craic.

New Testament in Ennistymon in Co.Clare some time in the very early 80`s,also went to the 1st ever Lisdoon festival on the opening night.1st Punk gig was the Ramones in the Channel in Boston sometime in 1988.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back