What was it like seeing Batman in theaters in 1989? (1 Viewer)

Think it was the first proper movie I saw in the cinema. Would have been about 7. Vaguely remember bit of hype with trailers on tv etc. remember thinking keaton looked a damned sight cooler than Adam west in his grey tights. Got the game and everything for the c64. Big fan obviously. Saw it in mitchelstown cinema which was as close as you could get to a real life bat cave. (pretty sure it was levelled a year or so afterwards)

1548348728598.jpeg

There's a scene where newscasters aren't wearing makeup or using shaving products to avoid being infected by smylex and it had to be explained to me because I couldn't see any difference in their faces. Being a kid is mad.

I remember seeing it in The Savoy when I was 7 or 8. My Dad brought me and my friend l. First cinema experience. I remember very little about it apart from thinking the music was terrible.

I do remember collecting the cards and stickers though. I remember there were both yellow and red bordered stickers but with the same picture. Cheap bastards. And the manly chewing gum that came with the cards/stickers.
I still think the music was awful

Think it was the first proper movie I saw in the cinema. Would have been about 7. Vaguely remember bit of hype with trailers on tv etc. remember thinking keaton looked a damned sight cooler than Adam west in his grey tights. Got the game and everything for the c64. Big fan obviously. Saw it in mitchelstown cinema which was as close as you could get to a real life bat cave. (pretty sure it was levelled a year or so afterwards)

View attachment 12608
The C64 game was class but I remember I was absolutely shit at it.

I remember seeing it in The Savoy when I was 7 or 8. My Dad brought me and my friend l. First cinema experience. I remember very little about it apart from thinking the music was terrible.

I do remember collecting the cards and stickers though. I remember there were both yellow and red bordered stickers but with the same picture. Cheap bastards. And the manly chewing gum that came with the cards/stickers.
I still think the music was awful
I can smell that chewing gum just thinking about it.

I didn't see it in a theatre because I'm not American, I saw in the cinema. I remember thinking it was good and was impressed with Keaton as THE Batman, but wasn't overly impressed with Nicholson's OTT comedy routine as the joker, nor that much impressed with Basinger. My main draw to it was Tim Burton doing Batman. I haven't seen it in years though; it probably hasn't aged well.
I remember the first time seeing it, having listened to the soundtrack album to death, picking out all the soundbytes from the film that were on the album, and being shocked that WHAT ARE YOU? wasn't said by a woman.

My auld lad brought me my mam and sister to the Savoy in Dublin to see it

Honestly i dont remember much i was only 6

But i do remember the opening with music and the bat symbol slowly revealing itself and people freaking out wondering what it was

Even now when i hear that music im back there

Now Ghostbusters2 that i do remember thinking this is the greatest thing ever made

Had a burgerking Ghostbusters kids meal after too

Great stuff

Who knew this would have turned into such a sweet, adorable thread!

I didn't see it in the cinema, as I was only a few months old. My first cinema experience was 4-5 years later, Jurassic Park. I got so excited I vomited everywhere. My mam's friends boyfriend owned the cinema, and he gave us all the press packs, with cardboard cut outs and magazines and stickers and so on. Still have a bunch of that stuff from films of that era.

But yeah. No.

Who knew this would have turned into such a sweet, adorable thread!

I didn't see it in the cinema, as I was only a few months old. My first cinema experience was 4-5 years later, Jurassic Park. I got so excited I vomited everywhere. My mam's friends boyfriend owned the cinema, and he gave us all the press packs, with cardboard cut outs and magazines and stickers and so on. Still have a bunch of that stuff from films of that era.

But yeah. No.
Jurassic Park was an EVENT!

I remember going to see it with my dad and 2, possibly 3, of my brothers in Tullamore Cinema when I was about 8. I remember all the hype surrounding it, it was the first time I'd experienced anything like that. I also remember the trading cards. Actually, now that I think about it, I think we went for my 8th birthday. I thought it was only fantastic.

I remember the cycle repeating itself for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles about a year later.

I remember going to see it with my dad and 2, possibly 3, of my brothers in Tullamore Cinema when I was about 8. I remember all the hype surrounding it, it was the first time I'd experienced anything like that. I also remember the trading cards. Actually, now that I think about it, I think we went for my 8th birthday. I thought it was only fantastic.

I remember the cycle repeating itself for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles about a year later.

Yep! Collected them stickers too!

Yep! Collected them stickers too!

And the action figures. Went looking for them the last time I was in my parents place, because my young lad was starting to get into them, but they'd thrown them out. They just assumed because I hadn't looked at them in 30 years that I didn't want them, can you believe that?

also..allowing kids to play with valuable collectibles? what were you thinking!?

I remember the first time seeing it, having listened to the soundtrack album to death, picking out all the soundbytes from the film that were on the album, and being shocked that WHAT ARE YOU? wasn't said by a woman.
I'll have to revisit this film soon! To be fair to Keatont, his was the start of the darker more troubled psychotic Batman and he was deadly in the role. Nicholas did have some choice lines though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back