What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (7 Viewers)

I don’t have media training but I know not to spend five minutes in an interview not apologising for being racist on Twitter. You don’t media training to say that it was a mistake and that’s why she deleted the tweet and let’s face it, that would have made this story a lot less of a story. The fact she had a PR person in the room who could have written something down and handed it to her makes it all the more bizarre.

You do but I guess the point I persue with all this is that there is a bit of public naivety at play here. People still are expecting that if a person does something and gets famous then they are automatically a good guy. In that reality what would make this story less of a story is the mechanism by which someone who is good at punching people in a measured and technical manner doesn't become the figurehead of a newsagent and convenience store with whatever the societal expectation of the given day is ready to put them on trial.

I fucking hate media handlers for the record. PR is a PR disaster.

Maybe she is racist - that's on her, but getting a media handler to walk her through a socially bulletproof apology for a ten minute radio slot to satisfy the weekly public tomatoe throwing crew isn't actually of any value to anyone.

Fear not

Media handlers have drafted a statement. Everything is now 100% fixed.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fear not

Media handlers have drafted a statement. Everything is now 100% fixed.

reading the comments - looks like she's committed the cardinal twitter sin of liking a transphobic tweet recently as well...

cancelled*2

im only getting up to speed with the trans debate. I've been mixing up Posie Parker the trans campaigner with Parker Posey the actress.

Ruth Langsford is all woman. :love:

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the kind of angry glee I was talking about.
A lot of it from people who are not so much pro-immigration, but wholly and vociferously anti-anti-immigration.
Defining themselves angrily in opposition to something. And being seen to do so.
So clear in the certainty of their conviction, there is no need to hold back with condemnation.

Fuck her, don't care who she is of what she's done for Ireland or young girls or LGBT causes. She's definitely a total racist, so let's have her squirm. Good enough for her. Shame! Shame!

For a deleted tweet.

Again, I'm clearly in the minority on this view, but it comes off ugly, awful and disproportionate. To me anyways.
You could even say unkind.

ETA (Kellie)

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the kind of angry glee I was talking about.
A lot of it from people who are not so much pro-immigration, but wholly and vociferously anti-anti-immigration.
Defining themselves angrily in opposition to something. And being seen to do so.
So clear in the certainty of their conviction, there is no need to hold back with condemnation.

Fuck her, don't care who she is of what she's done for Ireland or young girls or LGBT causes. She's definitely a total racist, so let's have her squirm. Good enough for her. Shame! Shame!

For a deleted tweet.

Again, I'm clearly in the minority on this view, but it comes off ugly, awful and disproportionate. To me anyways.
You could even say unkind.

ETA (Kellie)
You’re right, racism is excusable if you’re a woman or queer. Or is it only for successful athletes? Does it go the other way, if you are an immigrant do you get to be homophobic? Just trying to figure out the hierarchy here.

You’re right, racism is excusable if you’re a woman or queer. Or is it only for successful athletes? Does it go the other way, if you are an immigrant do you get to be homophobic? Just trying to figure out the hierarchy here.
Just saying the topic of immigration is complicated. Just like people are.
If you're happy to tar Kellie as a racist, go for it. I'm not.

People's experience of the stresses of the housing crisis and the cost of living crisis and the perpetual cluster F of a govt are different, and they are often very effected by where you live and the community you live in.

Working class communities take the brunt of whatever is going wrong in society. And the refugee system is not a flagship success in Ireland.
That's the community Kellie is coming from and the one I'm from.
Views on immigration are varied. Most people in Ireland want to help, but also only up to a point also. People want limits on who is coming in.
This spectrum of views are not represented or debated in the media that I can see. And especially not on a right-on smugfest like OTB.

I think immigration on the whole is wonderful. But I don't expect everyone to get in lockstep with me on that view.
And I'm not gonna start namecalling either.
We owe our fellow citizens at least that. And we owe our heroes at least a fair go.

All this seeking of a groupthink, and these zero-tolerance purity tests and these shame rituals are a very poor show in my book.

Call whoever you want what you want, I don't really care. Twitter's a shithole of this already.
I just see it differently.

Last edited:
How much do you listen to OTB? Because they employed Colm Parkinson there for years and right on that dude is not.

I listened for a good long while - for years- but honestly it's been a few years also. I gave up on it. The format grew tired for me. And I care not a whit for rugby. They like it.

Callan calling them "The Indistinguishables" and "enlightened blokes who aren't afraid to have scary conversations" and that "actually a woman should host the Late Late" last week was good enough to assure my narrow view I'd got it right.

Callan aside, I fully accept that I am very far from an expert on the show. Especially in its current iteration.

ETA
I googled that guy Parkinson. And he's not too happy either.
Maybe there's more back & forth there than I suspected.

I'm impressed with his ability to say in 140 characters what I'm struggling to get across in 1,000

No you aren't.
You understood the post, well done. Her sporting ability, her gender, and her sexuality are being brought up as a reasonable defence for posting about immigrants in a hugely negative and racist manner. Yes she deleted it but as a public figure using her considerable platform to push a racist and frankly damaging viewpoint (just look at the anti-immigrant views that are blooming across the news), she absolutely should be challenged on it.

I listened for a good long while - for years- but honestly it's been a few years also. I gave up on it. The format grew tired for me. And I care not a whit for rugby. They like it.

Callan calling them "The Indistinguishables" and "enlightened blokes who aren't afraid to have scary conversations" and that "actually a woman should host the Late Late" last week was good enough to assure my narrow view I'd got it right.

Callan aside, I fully accept that I am very far from an expert on the show. Especially in its current iteration.

ETA
I googled that guy Parkinson. And he's not too happy either.
Maybe there's more back & forth there than I suspected.

I'm impressed with his ability to say in 140 characters what I'm struggling to get across in 1,000

Oh well, she didn’t want to talk about it so that’s that. Honestly, I’m gobsmacked that you lot are defending her at all and see it as a purity test (whatever that means - it seems to be the centrist dad phrase du jour). As I asked earlier, if it was a footballer or the presenter would they also get a pass?

What she implies about immigrants being child murderers is exactly like the arguments “against” homosexuals (“they’re all paedophiles!”) and transgender people (“they’re just sex offenders trying to get into women’s bathrooms!”).

A 'pass' on what exactly?
Being ambushed on national radio over a fecking deleted tweet about something very upsetting, which she clearly had no interest in talking about again?
Just give the girl a heads up.
I'd say anyone deserves that courtesy. Footballer or anyone.
I'm not defending her as much as her right - all of our right - to have a fair go.

I mentioned Kellie's background to paint a fuller picture of her, for someone who never heard of her before.
And to show the kind of rich life that so many on Twitter want cast aside - successfully it looks like rn.
Under suspicion of having had thoughts they don't agree with.

Everyone's up for showing kindness and empathy until it costs them a scintilla of anything.
And demand it in abundance for things they care about.

I’m gobsmacked that you lot are defending her at all and see it as a purity test (whatever that means - it seems to be the centrist dad phrase du jour)
I'm quite sure you have the brains to work out what a purity test is

Her sporting ability, her gender, and her sexuality are being brought up as a reasonable defence for posting about immigrants in a hugely negative and racist manner.
Nobody is saying the tweet was ok, afaics. I think those are (weak) arguments for a less severe punishment rather than a defence

weak and irrelevant IMO, because I think public shaming is seldom appropriate or effective (this bit is small to allow you to ignore me repeating myself)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back