What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (4 Viewers)

To bring in the other thread, imagine Frank Zappa getting piled on for having opinions lol

Long may Damon say stupid shit.

Damon on the Manics: I quite like Richey, he's a funny little bugger. The music may be abysmal, but I find him charming.

And on that, didn't Richie just write stream of consciousness stuff while off his head, then hand it to Nicky to hammer that into a song of some sort, and then JDB had to put it to music. So......I dunno, collaborative song writing is a messy business I guess is my point.

Last edited:
he's right. she's essentially the client of these songwriter/producer guys. she comes in with a brief, whether that's a sketch of some lyrics or a melody or a theme, and they work their magic and get paid handsomely.
I'm with @Lili Marlene on this. Why is everyone so hung up on on trying to "prove" that she doesn't write her songs? All her songs have a distinct melodic sense, like they were all written by the same person, and her name is on all the credits. I suspect if you heard a cover of a Taylor Swift song you'd be able guess it was her even if you didn't know the song, same way as you can for Tom Waits

I don't like any of her music, but ... like what the fuck? Nobody's claiming Doja Cat or Justin Bieber write their own songs, and nobody thinks less of them for it. How is so inconceivable that one female pop artist writes her own songs?

I'm with @Lili Marlene on this. Why is everyone so hung up on on trying to "prove" that she doesn't write her songs?

All i set out to prove is that Damon saying her songs were co-written, which for the last two records they have been, one entirely by a known hit machine. If you read the interview he got quoted from (they trimmed him saying co-written for twitter points) thats what he said, and i just used the album credits to verify it. It's not really hung up to just read the article and the album credits :p

Anywhoo

Fair play to Damon for create a three way Oasis/Blur scenario unwillingly.

Damon was saying she's faking it and the songs were written by her producers, otherwise everything he said makes no sense since he is so chronically addicted to collaborating in his own music.

Either someone told him or he glanced over the credits on the CD or whatever and made an assumption that because she's a popstar she has songs handed to her that she changes a little to get credit and money, rather than the other way around.

Listen, i'm glad he's not a Swifty, i'm glad this man in his mid 50s is out of date. It'd be more embarrassing if he wasn't, he'd just be Elton John.

I don't like any of her music, but ... like what the fuck? Nobody's claiming Doja Cat or Justin Bieber write their own songs, and nobody thinks less of them for it. How is so inconceivable that one female pop artist writes her own songs?

I think part of why this is such a thing is that she's been presented as one of the most important and successful songwriters of her generation.

That Bond song is fucking shit, and almost all modern pop should basically be crediting producers as co-writers because that's what almost all pop producers are actually doing nowadays.

That's how it sounds to me. But I don't listen to any of that stuff,so my opinion is void really.

I reckon the input from session players ( if there is any guitars/ keyboards etc) are undervalued too

Yeah, the entire "Wrote all their own songs" thing is usually just pushed by record companies to perpetuate the myth of the 'creative genius' artist that mostly don't really exist any more in pop.
Take yer wan Sigrid from Norway, she is generally always presented as 'writes all her own songs', but maybe the Norwegians are more honest about it cause looking at her album's track listing, her producer actually is co-credited with the song-writing on almost all the tracks – but you'll never hear anyone asking her stuff like that in an interview.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back