What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (6 Viewers)

Looking at Ireland - Seamus Heaney for example - I was talking to someone in literary circles that half of Heaney's job was being known as a poet. Like any event or whatever where a poet was needed he'd be the first people would think of. He worked on that, to the point that some nicknamed him 'famous Seamus'. I mean like the level of risk on going full time poet and making it is off the scale so I'm not saying it disparagingly that he earned that nickname, just I saying is that's how he managed it, beyond writing things that people love he had to sell them and himself pretty hard, which is true of a lot of writers going back. Oscar Wilde the socialite quip machine style gig.

As a societal role, now I'd look to people in the vein of Kae Tempest being in that role now.

Looking at Ireland - Seamus Heaney for example - I was talking to someone in literary circles that half of Heaney's job was being known as a poet. Like any event or whatever where a poet was needed he'd be the first people would think of. He worked on that, to the point that some nicknamed him 'famous Seamus'. I mean like the level of risk on going full time poet and making it is off the scale so I'm not saying it disparagingly that he earned that nickname, just I saying is that's how he managed it, beyond writing things that people love he had to sell them and himself pretty hard, which is true of a lot of writers going back. Oscar Wilde the socialite quip machine style gig.

As a societal role, now I'd look to people in the vein of Kae Tempest being in that role now.
not totally different then from a major band plugging their LP by doing several days worth of one hour interviews. it never strikes me as much fun being a full time writer / musician / artist / actor or whatever.

I think John Macgahern said of Heaney that he was delighted that he'd won the nobel, because winning it would have never meant more to anyone else but Heaney or something like that.

I think John Macgahern said of Heaney that he was delighted that he'd won the nobel, because winning it would have never meant more to anyone else but Heaney or something like that.
My favourite Nobel prize winning reaction will probably always be Doris Lessing who was just bringing her shopping home, responded with "oh, fuck," and then proceeded to sit on her doorstep going "well, what do you want to ask me?"

11lessing3.600.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I was talking to someone in literary circles that half of Heaney's job was being known as a poet
Well yeah, but the other half wasn't writing poetry. I think he only had a few years of writing full-time in the early 70s - made his living teaching, then lecturing in teacher training colleges, then had various professorships in universities

My favourite Nobel prize winning reaction will probably always be Doris Lessing who was just bringing her shopping home, responded with "oh, fuck," and then proceeded to sit on her doorstep going "well, what do you want to ask me?"

11lessing3.600.jpg

Doorstopping is such scumbag behaviour

This poem ended up on my timeline this morning. Stuck it in my bookmarks to share it somewhere, shir here's as good as any

S s @scutter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back