What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (3 Viewers)

See also "badgers"
2hrpaazqcjx11.png

How the Robin Got its Name

Written by Bob Sundstrom

This is BirdNote!
Behind every bird name there is a story - and often a unique bit of history.
[American Robin song and whinny]
Consider our familiar American Robin, which lives throughout much of North America but is not found in Europe. When English settlers in the New World encountered this new bird, they saw in it a reflection of the bird they knew as the Robin – or Robin Redbreast – of the old country. So they called this one a Robin, too. The Robin of the British Isles [song of the European Robin] is a tiny bird with an orange face and upper breast, and only a distant relative of our much larger American Robin.
And there were more “robins” to come. One writer remarked: “Wherever the English have settled they have tended to bestow the name Robin on any bird with a noticeable amount of red or russet in the plumage.”(1) On this continent alone, bluebirds (which have some orange on the breast) were called Robin by the British, towhees were Ground Robins, and the Baltimore Oriole was called the Golden Robin.
Today the American and British Ornithological Unions work together to determine, among other things, how a given bird got its name.

I had to to check

American is thrush family
European is chat family.

Is this the first time ever that Julie Burchill has apologized?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I can't answer your question but seeing this made me happy today. What a horrible person you must be to come out with all that and then frame yourself as the victim.

A quick glance at Ash Sarkar's twitter feed will show you the type of abuse she gets on a daily basis. No way Burchill wouldn't have known that when she chose to have a go at her about her faith...

must’ve been some fairly nuclear-grade lawyering happening in the background here to get a statement like that out of a clown like burchill. her whole brand is “never apologise, burn it to the ground”

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back