What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (3 Viewers)

i think the way you'd be able to fuck up the hedge funds buying property here would be to engage on a massive housebuilding program, to drastically reduce the price of property here. we can ask reddit for assistance.
Only if you managed to build them all in about a week.

You either make Ireland look like a bad place to invest money (a Sinn Fein government maybe?) or we create one of those Sovereign Wealth Funds and buy up all the shares ourselves.

You either make Ireland look like a bad place to invest money (a Sinn Fein government maybe?) or we create one of those Sovereign Wealth Funds and buy up all the shares ourselves.

Not necessarily, share prices are predictions of future income. You sell shares or whatever in a week, then you get on with the building with all the money. Sort of. That's where it starts to get into head-melty territory.

Not necessarily, share prices are predictions of future income. You sell shares or whatever in a week, then you get on with the building with all the money. Sort of. That's where it starts to get into head-melty territory.
But the price of Irish housing has nothing to do with supply and demand and everything to do with "good place to invest" so unless you make a MASSIVE, country-altering amount of houses very quickly I can't see how it'd work.

A lot of people's lives went under and have never recovered from the sub-prime stuff and all of our lives are worse for it.

In WW2 they pulled together, now we tell each other how dare we complain, it was worse in WW2.

This happens regularly, doesn't it? Everything since must seem a bit cute to anyone still alive who remembers WW2

I don't think it does. At least, it didn't feel like a regular occurrence to me at the time. (I was in the US back then.)

At the time I felt that this was a "Black Swan" event, and things hung on a knife edge, people seemed genuinely concerned, people were devastated, lost their house, and so on.

That was portrayed to me as a once in a lifetime event, and it was... a few years ago.

The brother is now buying AMC stocks. He’s usually pretty thick but said he’s made a 1400% profit in the last while. He normally just buys ugly Nike trainers and sells them on a year later for a few hundred more than he paid.
I think maybe I’m just old and confused.

I originally posted that in the wrong thread, which didn’t help.

So anyway, the house always wins?

The brother is now buying AMC stocks. He’s usually pretty thick but said he’s made a 1400% profit in the last while. He normally just buys ugly Nike trainers and sells them on a year later for a few hundred more than he paid.
I think maybe I’m just old and confused.

I originally posted that in the wrong thread, which didn’t help.
Well if you put €1 into GameStop stock at the start of the year it’d now be €15.55 APPARENTLY

edit:sausage fingers

Last edited:
But I think of all the horrible things that have happened and it TRIGGERS me (and my non-scientific EMOTIONS) when people go "ha, ww2 was much worse."
I guess it depends on whether people are trying to belittle your feelings about the horrible things, or cheer you up by getting you to be grateful for the good parts

(Can you tell I'm going to see a therapist these days? I recommend it!)

I guess it depends on whether people are trying to belittle your feelings about the horrible things, or cheer you up by getting you to be grateful for the good parts

(Can you tell I'm going to see a therapist these days? I recommend it!)
Maybe more honestly I can say that between climate breakdown, Covid19 stuck at home-ness, a choice between unemployment and never-being-able-to-escape your job (with nothing inbetween), that I think people are psychically doing incredibly badly these days. Give me the death or glory of WW2 over the slow, seemingly inevitable end of the world we all seem to be facing.

So anyway, the house always wins?

I think this is proving that the rich / poor divide is now so fucking immense that house will always win, for as long as we have capitalism

meanwhile

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Listened to a podcast a while ago where the guest was arguing that with interest rates on loans to governments so low at the moment that Ireland should borrow every cent it can to make a SWF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back