What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (6 Viewers)

at least the existence of the trans siberian railway proves that the international rail industry - despite the challenges of different gauges - is not stuck to rigid gender stereotypes.

I also had to mute a family member who tweeted about TERFS and SWERFS not being feminists, she got over 700 likes. For anyone not in the know, a SWERF is a Sex Worker Exclusionary Radical Feminist, those awful people who think women should not be be working in the 'sex industry'. Sex Work IS Work (SWIW). Sex work is all about onlyfans and empowerment these days , it's actually a really great career choice. Criticising the forced prostitution of women and girls, supporting women in poverty to improve their situation and to not have to turn to prostitution in the first place is really bigoted and hateful of sex workers.

edited for grammar!

another social media pile-on happening at the moment is that Rozanne Purcell is getting both barrels for releasing a clothing range, but not including 'larger' sizes. She offered the pretty straight-forward explanation that there will be 'larger' sizes but when they arrived from the manufacturer, they were sized wrong so have to be redone.

But, fuck it, explanation or no, any aul excuse to pile the shite onto someone we don't know, but reckon we'd dislike if we did cos, I dunno, she's pretty or something.

She always seemed very decent to me. She very much promotes body positivity, and, as far as I can tell, hasn't ever done anything remotely controversial.

But fuck it, we love a good pile on.

I also had to mute a family member who tweeted about TERFS and SWERFS not being feminists, she got over 700 likes. For anyone not in the know, a SWERF is a Sex Worker Exclusionary Radical Feminist, those awful people who think women should not be be working in the 'sex industry'. Sex Work IS Work (SWIW). Sex work is all about onlyfans and empowerment these days , it's actually a really great career choice. Criticising the forced prostitution of women and girls, supporting women in poverty to improve their situation and to not have to turn to prostitution in the first place is really bigoted and hateful of sex workers.

edited for grammar!
I've been following the backlash to that from some quarters, stealing sex work valour for edginess: "Is what you're doing illegal? No? Then it's not sex work. You're just building a linkedin profile on Onlyfans."

another social media pile-on happening at the moment is that Rozanne Purcell is getting both barrels for releasing a clothing range, but not including 'larger' sizes. She offered the pretty straight-forward explanation that there will be 'larger' sizes but when they arrived from the manufacturer, they were sized wrong so have to be redone.

But, fuck it, explanation or no, any aul excuse to pile the shite onto someone we don't know, but reckon we'd dislike if we did cos, I dunno, she's pretty or something.

She always seemed very decent to me. She very much promotes body positivity, and, as far as I can tell, hasn't ever done anything remotely controversial.

But fuck it, we love a good pile on.
Please don't talk about TV3 office drama on thumped.

If only Twitter were more like Thumped, where we all get along and listen to each other's opinions.
thumped is for pricks, and the above is ban-worthy imo

In all seriousness, I still don't understand and I wish I did. I'm a member of Amnesty, and have been on-and-off since I was in school. I can generally get behind them, though I have no great grá for Colm O'Gorman - too much of an attention seeker for my liking. Thus, I will continue to keep my beak out of it.

What it does bring to mind is something someone (on here) told me before about when people get behind a cause. It can get to a point where, despite being on the same side, in-fighting starts. People aren't doing it right, or aren't as good as supporting said cause, as others.

So, while either side of this particular issue probably agree on almost everything, the vitriol over the differences they have, have festered and ballooned. And thats not helped by an organisation such as Amnesty rowing in on one side, regardless of whether they were right or wrong to do so.

I've read some of Suzanne Moore's writings since this topic started on here. She seems utterly unlikeable to me. As in, I'd probably agree with her on as many things as I'd disagree with her on, but I doubt we'd ever be mates.

I’m sort of hoping that we can look back on this in a couple of decades as a strange historical hiccup — a kind of trotskyists vs. stalinists of human sexuality and self-conception. or even more obscure, maybe. Maoists vs. Hoxhaists or something

I feel like I've learned some important things about humans from twitter kerfuffles over the last few years:
1. you don't need religion to have vitriolic arguments about virtue, sin and heresy
2. when competing for status within our in-groups, we are endlessly inventive, and without mercy

I also have learned the following, but I'm not quite as sure that these things are true

3. a great many people are actively trying to make the world a better place, and that's a really important part of their identity (AKA their story of themselves)
4. it's not possible to measure whether the world is better or worse in a way that everyone agrees on

I've learned that some people are incapable of having an opinion without tweeting it to the world.

And, there are people who have an opinion on fucking everything.

The people who think they are right all of the time are a superset of the above 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back