What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (3 Viewers)

I'd imagine most trans people and their friends are more likely to worry about at least once a day but other people not so much unless they have an issue with trans people.
True that. I guess that's it. I don't really know any trans people. Or more importantly, anyone that has a problem with trans people. I guess my point is that most people outside of twitter or whatever take the view of "live and let live" and that there isn't even an awareness that these battles are taking place.

True that. I guess that's it. I don't really know any trans people. Or more importantly, anyone that has a problem with trans people. I guess my point is that most people outside of twitter or whatever take the view of "live and let live" and that there isn't even an awareness that these battles are taking place.
I suppose these issues are affecting lots of people, trans people, and women particularly-the discourse around some issues that have emerged is pretty toxic. But you are right in that most people are outside of Twitter-and are "live and let live". That's been my own experience anyway. What is strange is that I am not on Twitter, but find that this discourse has made its way to me anyway, from a variety of sources, and in a variety of ways. Anyway, hope you're all looking forward to my "hot takes" essays, published never, by no-one :X3:.

Most people may take the "live and let live attitude" but the ones who don't make life really fucking hard for trans people and need addressing.

I suppose these issues are affecting lots of people, trans people, and women particularly-the discourse around some issues that have emerged is pretty toxic. But you are right in that most people are outside of Twitter-and are "live and let live". That's been my own experience anyway. What is strange is that I am not on Twitter, but find that this discourse has made its way to me anyway, from a variety of sources, and in a variety of ways. Anyway, hope you're all looking forward to my "hot takes" essays, published never, by no-one :X3:.
I'll be honest, my only exposure to it is on here.

Will your hot takes essay be a post on thumped? It's probably the only way I'm going to read it.

Most people may take the "live and let live attitude" but the ones who don't make life really fucking hard for trans people and need addressing.
No-one should be making anyone's life hard. Disagreement isn't tantamount to discrimination, however. We all have to find ways to live together respectfully where we all feel protected. It's part of a wider issue. I would be genuinely interested to know how much all of you think Twitter has changed not simply the tone of conversation, but the actual conversations? Perhaps that is a question for another time!

Last edited:
No-one should be making anyone's life hard. Disagreement isn't tantamount to discrimination, however. We all have to find ways to live together respectfully where we all feel protected. It's part of a wider issue. I would be genuinely interested to know how much all of you think Twitter has changed the not simply the tone of conversation, but the actual conversation?
I'll be honest, from an outsider's perspective the whole thing just looks like a particularly toxic rabbit hole of people being awful to each other.

No-one should be making anyone's life hard. Disagreement isn't tantamount to discrimination, however. We all have to find ways to live together respectfully where we all feel protected. It's part of a wider issue. I would be genuinely interested to know how much all of you think Twitter has changed not simply the tone of conversation, but the actual conversation?

Seeing as you quoted me I don't use twitter much at all but still have conversations about trans rights and hear people giving out about trans people looking for equal rights and vice versa regularly enough. Less so this year seeing as I haven't been in many social situations.

I'm not sure what you mean about disagreement isn't tantamount to discrimination. If you (vocally) disagree with trans people having equal rights I'd suggest that is tantamount to discrimination.

Seeing as you quoted me I don't use twitter much at all but still have conversations about trans rights and hear people giving out about trans people looking for equal rights and vice versa regularly enough. Less so this year seeing as I haven't been in many social situations.

I'm not sure what you mean about disagreement isn't tantamount to discrimination. If you (vocally) disagree with trans people having equal rights I'd suggest that is tantamount to discrimination.

My quoting of you was actually an accident, so sorry about that! Just to clarify-I didn't mention anything in my posts about denying anyone equal rights. Bizarre I should have to state that. My position is that women should also be able to talk about our rights without toxicity and threats-certain issues have arisen, so people are discussing these issues-that's as it should be. And people disagree sometimes, that is not tantamount to discrimination, and denying people rights, it's about discussing protecting of all rights. That's the fundamental point. Or rather, my fundamental point.

there's a chap i know whose kid decided they were non-binary. the kid's grandfather (mid 70s) decided 'jaysus, i know jack shit about about all this new confusing gender identity stuff', so rather than doing what most people of that generation would do, and rail against it, he booked himself in for a gender studies course in DCU.
chapeau to that man.

Sorry @YoungHearts the last "you" in my post could have been a "one". I did't mean to suggest you personally had an issue with trans rights. My point is some disagreements such as disagreeing with people having equal rights can or is be tantamount to discrimination. That is all and I'm probably being pedantic anyhow.

Which is women's rights have you found can't be discussed without without toxicity and threats? Are these discussions just on twitter?

Sorry @YoungHearts the last "you" in my post could have been a "one". I did't mean to suggest you personally had an issue with trans rights. My point is some disagreements such as disagreeing with people having equal rights can or is be tantamount to discrimination. That is all and I'm probably being pedantic anyhow.

Which is women's rights have you found can't be discussed without without toxicity and threats? Are these discussions just on twitter?
I honestly do think the discussions seem to be mainly on Twitter-two international colleagues of mine convening a panel about the female body and language last year received relentless harassment, hateful slurs, and some rape threats, and eventually pulled the panel as it got too stressful-it was part of a wider conference about women's sex-based rights in law, and potential consequences of redefining the word woman and various other elements-they entered into (online) discussions and were shocked with how toxic the landscape was. It's sad because online toxicity stopped an actual real life event from happening that was going to discuss conflicts, language, and rights.

You probably don't want to spend too much on the internet, and I don't blame you-but there are so many instances out there for you to see-of women being harassed and threatened and so on for speaking out about concerns- @ann post linked to the Suzanne Moore essay earlier, which certainly goes some way in describing what it is like out there at the moment. It is not only women, of course, trans people often receive this kind of harassment too-what I am trying to get at is that everyone should be able to express their concerns in a respectful environment. I think that ship might have sailed-however, I don't want to believe it has. Perhaps we need to encourage people to sign up for Thumped instead. Anyway, that's a long-winded ramble there.

I honestly do think the discussions seem to be mainly on Twitter-two international colleagues of mine convening a panel about the female body and language last year received relentless harassment, hateful slurs, and some rape threats, and eventually pulled the panel as it got too stressful-it was part of a wider conference about women's sex-based rights in law, and potential consequences of redefining the word woman and various other elements-they entered into (online) discussions and were shocked with how toxic the landscape was. It's sad because online toxicity stopped an actual real life event from happening that was going to discuss conflicts, language, and rights.

You probably don't want to spend too much on the internet, and I don't blame you-but there are so many instances out there for you to see-of women being harassed and threatened and so on for speaking out about concerns- @ann post linked to the Suzanne Moore essay earlier, which certainly goes some way in describing what it is like out there at the moment. It is not only women, of course, trans people often receive this kind of harassment too-what I am trying to get at is that everyone should be able to express their concerns in a respectful environment. I think that ship might have sailed-however, I don't want to believe it has. Perhaps we need to encourage people to sign up for Thumped instead. Anyway, that's a long-winded ramble there.

Cheers I'm 100% aware it happens alright. I was more curious about your experience really. No harm in an auld ramble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back