What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (4 Viewers)

The current blowup seems to be that Suzanne Moore left the Guardian and lots of columnists are showing columnist solidarity while everyone laughs at them.

Needless to say, none of them said anything when Dawn Foster was quietly pushed out.
Any idea why she left?

Helen Lewis, another Guardian columnist, did the voice on some video game and the video game company replaced her because of her Terfy views and the sensible Guardian columnists were up in arms about it on Twitter.

She also wrote this drivel When Discrimination Targets the Privileged

Any idea why she left?

Helen Lewis, another Guardian columnist, did the voice on some video game and the video game company replaced her because of her Terfy views and the sensible Guardian columnists were up in arms about it on Twitter.

She also wrote this drivel When Discrimination Targets the Privileged
Suzanne Moore? She says she left of her own accord but I know several hundred people at the guardian signed a petition against her earlier this year or something. I'd say she was probably forced out. I'm not a huge fan of that kind of petition but, well, todays twitter drama is today's twitter drama.

something similar happening at the NYtimes

omg i saw that yesterday and couldn't read it, it's like a Waterford Whispers article

It's certainly interesting. Most of it can be solved by a 100% inheritance tax across the board and liberal use of the guillotine.

This paragraph speaks truth:

These stories are common across the aristocracy: The titles endure, but the grand fortunes have gone. The stately homes, once bustling with footmen and undergardeners and scullery maids, are now financial black holes, draining the remainder of a family’s savings. Yet most of them are now visited by more people than they ever were in their glory days as private homes. The National Trust owns 300 buildings and had 5 million members in 2018. Britons might claim that we find aristocrats embarrassing, antiquated, and undeserving of their unearned advantages in life, but good God, do we like poking round their rose gardens on a sunny weekend.

I mean, people like nice gardens! This should not be a revelation. Just make them all public and get rid of the fucking aristocracy.

There are still Irish peerages because they were never abolished. We don't care about them because they don't affect us, and the Brits like them, I suppose. They don't actually matter anyway, do they? I seem to remember from inter cert history that the House of Lords has no power to really do anything at all

We have a local peer here Henry Mountcharles - Wikipedia I know the heir apparent to say hello to (from playing bass at functions in the castle a few times), a couple of years younger than me, seems sound enough. He's allowing more access to locals to the castle grounds, which is ok in my book

There are still Irish peerages because they were never abolished. We don't care about them because they don't affect us, and the Brits like them, I suppose. They don't actually matter anyway, do they? I seem to remember from inter cert history that the House of Lords has no power to really do anything at all

We have a local peer here Henry Mountcharles - Wikipedia I know the heir apparent to say hello to (from playing bass at functions in the castle a few times), a couple of years younger than me, seems sound enough. He's allowing more access to locals to the castle grounds, which is ok in my book
outing yourself as a cap-doffer, eh

I really like Suzanne Moore. And I really don't like what is happening. That is my two cents on Thumped as a woman in what I now term "the cess pit that calls itself a civilised society." I will now have some coffee.
What is happening? I have read stuff by Moore that I liked, I have also read stuff by her that was the usual "Corbyn is bad because he's a rabid anti-antisemite clinging to purity politics and ruling through a personality cult" and I didn't like that. I don't really know why anyone cares about what she says, she's just an opinion columnist, right?

Last edited:
What is happening
Am sure you know, but in a nutshell-real debate and discourse is being lost, and it might not seem massively important when we are in a pandemic, and with homelessness at an all-time high, and people struggling in a myriad of ways-but it is important.

Suzanne Moore left for a variety of reasons, I think the full page obituary given over to Peter Sutcliffe in the paper she writes for was the final straw-considering all the women he murdered who people don't really remember the names of.

In the last few years she has been harassed, sent death threats, (as have her children), rape threats, had to get the police involved, simply because she stated reasonable opinions-in her....opinion pieces. She had been at The Guardian for 25 years, I didn't agree with all of her pieces-but I always read her-because she has an interesting sensibility, a a mixture of compassion and constructive anger, and maybe I relate. Disagreement isn't tantamount to discrimination, and we need to be able to ask questions, and apply rigour to various subjects, otherwise I am not sure where we are at.

It might not surprise anyone after reading the preceding three paragraphs-but I really miss people like Christopher Hitchens from the world, he would be seen as "problematic" no doubt, and various people would have surely tried to "cancel" him (what a ridiculous, narcissistic world we live in), but as he wrote-
"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, 'I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.' In this country, I've been told, 'That's offensive' as if those two words constitute an argument or a comment. Not to me they don't."

I don't like the period we are living in-and I come from a place where I respect everyone's human rights. It's sad that I even had to write down that caveat-but I have written it on this forum before, and guess I will again-it is the most misogynistic period I have ever lived through, coming up to four decades on this planet, and it hasn't exactly been a cake walk up to this point. Something strange is happening, and I am still trying to work the roots of it out....that's a long winded way of me saying that I will miss Suzanne Moore's work from The Guardian- papers of record should have divergent opinions, otherwise we are in an echo chamber. If we stop asking questions-where are we?

What is happening? I have read stuff by Moore that I liked, I have also read stuff by her that was the usual "Corbyn is bad because he's a rabid anti-antisemite clinging to purity politics and ruling through a personality cult" and I didn't like that. I don't really know why anyone cares about what she says, she's just an opinion columnist, right?
I think I just replied to your concise "what is happening" with a ramble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back