What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (6 Viewers)

I saw Hozier by accident on one of them at-home performance yokes, and much to my surprise he was fantastic

Dunno what Harry Potter is doing on syllabuses anyway. I love the books, but what next? Lady Gaga replacing Brahms?

One of the subjects I lecture on is Children's Literature! Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is the last text on the course-coming at the end of the twentieth century, and standing on the shoulders of nineteenth and twentieth century writers like Dumas, Alcott, Baum, Barrie, Lewis, Dahl and so on-it's a great text to explore these links-and also how the same stories get recycled but in different ways, it's also a great text through which to discuss Bunyan's Pilgrims Progress! And politics, and mental health, and "otherness", and a myriad of other things.

Can't see that many people studying Brahms on their 21st century media course.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is the last text on the course-coming at the end of the twentieth century, and standing on the shoulders of nineteenth and twentieth century writers like Dumas, Alcott, Baum, Barrie, Lewis, Dahl
Dumas! Really? I didn't realise his books were aimed at children. Do you cover The Once And Future King? I read that last month and thought it was amazing (mostly)

There's a big difference between removing someone from a syllabus and telling them they are being an arse.

I mean we're not going to stop looking at Picasso's paintings because he was a dick but it does no harm to point out that he was a dick while we are looking at them.

I mean we're not going to stop looking at Picasso's paintings because he was a dick but it does no harm to point out that he was a dick while we are looking at them.
Just accept that this is gonna be thrown in the sea

4.jpg

I wonder if some major historic artist had a big moment of reckoning now, as you said Picasso was a shit for example, (my GF has a fine art background and told me about his relationship with Dora Maar which I'd been unaware of prior to meeting her) would it have any impact on future valuations of their work. Probably not, I can't see it becoming socially awkward for the type of people who can afford to own a Picasso or work at that price point to own a Picasso.

Dumas! Really? I didn't realise his books were aimed at children. Do you cover The Once And Future King? I read that last month and thought it was amazing (mostly)
I love The Once and Future King also! As for Dumas, yes, I fold in The Three Musketeers, as a high adventure story, and mingle it with Little Women by Alcott-and try to explore a male-centred text and a female centred-one, and show their common ground, and the way they handle the age-old "coming of age" story. Often I try to use less-obvious texts on the course-like To Kill a Mockingbird-which isn't often viewed as a "children's book", but has a six year old protagonist, and can slip it in that way. Next year am also going to try bring in a bit of Ursula K. Le Guin! I try to bring lots of connected things to bear however I can. My old life (and still a massive interest) was as a Human Rights barrister, so I always still follow jurisprudence, and the idea of ethics in bits that I lecture on-and Children's Literature is actually a really fertile ground! I bring in Moomins and so many other bits and bobs. I suspect the students think me deranged, but what can you do? :)

@YoungHearts where are you lecturing if you don't mind me asking?

I studied Childrens Lit years back, I still keep my toe in the area out of interest. A good way of studying adults tbh

There's a big difference between removing someone from a syllabus and telling them they are being an arse.
But then those telling people that they are "an arse" might also have to listen to the reply being "and you are an arse." And then it's just "arses" being handed back to people, left, right, and centre.

Maybe in the next few days Twitter will eat itself and we can all go on with our lives.
Stop the world I want to get off. They are doing great work making Mars fairly habitable, aren't they? There is that Ray Bradbury short story All Summer in a Day, although it takes place on Venus. I must read that again, it was so beautifully written. I love Ray Bradbury.

@YoungHearts where are you lecturing if you don't mind me asking?

I studied Childrens Lit years back, I still keep my toe in the area out of interest. A good way of studying adults tbh
Really? How did you find it? I love teaching it. I am at UCD. You are so right-it really is a great way of studying adults.

Really? How did you find it? I love teaching it. I am at UCD. You are so right-it really is a great way of studying adults.
Great mostly! I did the MA in St Pats about a decade ago. Me and a bunch of teachers.

I mean it's like anything, some people literally just wanted it to be a Harry Potter bookclub and weren't up for treating it seriously. I feel like my ability to think wasn't at the sufficient level for it all at the time as well, if I could go back and do it differently I would I suppose, but I still get the odd book of theory and follow the awards and stuff. I'm not really cut out to be an academic, I don't get much satisfaction from that kind of writing, although I do like reading it.

I found it a good area for study, at the time anyway, because not everything had been said already.

Great mostly! I did the MA in St Pats about a decade ago. Me and a bunch of teachers.

I mean it's like anything, some people literally just wanted it to be a Harry Potter bookclub and weren't up for treating it seriously. I feel like my ability to think wasn't at the sufficient level for it all at the time as well, if I could go back and do it differently I would I suppose, but I still get the odd book of theory and follow the awards and stuff. I'm not really cut out to be an academic, I don't get much satisfaction from that kind of writing, although I do like reading it.

I found it a good area for study, at the time anyway, because not everything had been said already.
I know exactly what you mean. Also, that MA at St. Pat's has a great reputation. I find myself not fitting neatly into the academic world, and that kind of writing, so I really relate, but I don't fit neatly into any field in a way! I love ideas, and disseminating ideas, and learning more about the world through art-literature and music are my two greatest loves. And I love that I get to teach and research, and try to convey that love to the students-who knows if I am successful :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back