What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (6 Viewers)

twitter is a game where you score points against your adversaries in order to gain status with your allies. You get most points of all for revealing that an ally is actually an adversary
Tell you what, watching various broadly leftist writers all calling each other out like that depresses me no end. Everyone who doesn't share your exact interpretation of events is a crypto-fascist, a secret rich kid who is only playing at politics to forward their career and totally irredeemable. Where's the solidarity people??? I try and gloss over those infights as best I can in my head.

It's kinda a node for modern fundamentalists with some form of sacrifice to a transient nexus. It could even be looked at like some kind of organic RAM, all the little segments being either in 1/0 state depending on what [famous person] has said. At the time of writing public opinion of JK Rowling is in the 0 state because education around trans issues moved into the 1 state. BLM movement is in the 1 state unless the user is in Ireland where the state can be 1 or 0 depending on wether their patience with social distance is 1 or 0. Monuments to slavery era figureheads entered ram in a 0 state.

I use it for news for work. I do like parts of it sometimes. I find the current tone of delivery, or the patterned tones hard to read. Like a certain format of tweet becomes popular and then all info has to come through that filter for a few days. I was today years old when I wrote this.

It's kinda a node for modern fundamentalists with some form of sacrifice to a transient nexus. It could even be looked at like some kind of organic RAM, all the little segments being either in 1/0 state depending on what [famous person] has said. At the time of writing public opinion of JK Rowling is in the 0 state because education around trans issues moved into the 1 state. BLM movement is in the 1 state unless the user is in Ireland where the state can be 1 or 0 depending on wether their patience with social distance is 1 or 0. Monuments to slavery era figureheads entered ram in a 0 state.

I use it for news for work. I do like parts of it sometimes. I find the current tone of delivery, or the patterned tones hard to read. Like a certain format of tweet becomes popular and then all info has to come through that filter for a few days. I was today years old when I wrote this.

Is leaking RAM where the grey areas live? Or is that where the devil's advocates hang out?

No matter where you are on the left spectrum anyone to the right of you is a fascist Tory boy arsehole and anyone to the left is a naive baby who doesn't live in the real world. "You" are the only one with a sensible and nuanced take. Seems like it's always been like this.

There's probably something similar on the right; anyone to the left of you is a Commie, anyone to the right, well steady on like a good chap, that's a bit much.

They win the economy all the time.

Heh ... I was going to say "they don't win culture", but then realised that the culture wars are mostly conducted between factions of the left, and the right isn't really engaged at all
I've heard it argued, and i'm at least half persuaded by this, that the culture wars are the class wars; i.e. that those who want to fight about culture are expressing their class and their economic position by doing so. Its all a bit essentialist when presented in that way and I haven't fully thought it through, but... hmm.

I've heard it argued, and i'm at least half persuaded by this, that the culture wars are the class wars; i.e. that those who want to fight about culture are expressing their class and their economic position by doing so. Its all a bit essentialist when presented in that way and I haven't fully thought it through, but... hmm.

To look at today - the concept that a person can get a foothold above JK Rowling while being seen to be ethical vs. being critical on the weekend the final book in the harry potter series was released. I am also thinking about it.

I've heard it argued, and i'm at least half persuaded by this, that the culture wars are the class wars; i.e. that those who want to fight about culture are expressing their class and their economic position by doing so.
hmmm

Expressing, maybe, but is their class/economic position affected by defeat/victory (or neutrality?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This was clearly a post about cultural erasure and the conflict of the HP fan who is now faced with weighing up the extent at which they ally with the trans community and the sentimental horcrux of their childhood - of course against a backdrop of BLM protests removing the statues of slavers this becomes more complex as the commitment must be comparable to be of value in the cancel economy. At the same time the slaver statues are removed the remants of the slave empire are still on tap day to day in the Irish Isles, so the problematic nuance, does growing up in potterworld arm someone with a scope wide enough to realise that trans rights are important while still leaving scope to erase the source of potterworld. Complex times, Cancelled ann post.

Also it reminded me just how great a band name Erasure is.

The idea of "cancel culture" is completely repellent to me. For so many reasons. And reason itself appears to have gone out the window. Anyway, I am off to commune with Orwell in my biweekly afternoon seance to get some guidance as to how to navigate these very bleak times without losing my mind.

According Marxism culture is just an expression of underlying material and economic conditions so you can't really separate culture wars and class wars, right?

I don't think it's true that the right don't engage in the culture war. There's a main culture war between left and right which is like America vs Russia ... the long-running one .. it doesn't go away but flares up now and again .... cold (and sometimes hot) war. Then there's a bunch of sporadically exploding civil culture wars on the left which are more like the Lebanese civil war. Much more vicious, with multiple actors and continually shifting alliances. Not helpful at all.

I'm all for cancel culture. In fact there's a whole bunch of people I'd love to see cancelled. I wish I was the one who gets to decide who gets cancelled though. That would be amazing. But anyway when someone complains about being cancelled it usually means that their TV show doesn't get renewed for another season or they are suddenly not getting big movie roles or whatever public platform they previously had (and took for granted) is no longer available to them. Boo hoo. It's not like they've been murdered or something. And anyway we get to hear them complaining about being cancelled which means that they weren't really cancelled at all. In fact I would go as far as to say that all public figures should be automaitcally cancelled every ten years so just we don't have to put up with them anymore and we could have new ones instead. I'd even agree to the retired ones getting a small pension. Wouldnt that lead to a much more vibrant and exciting culture? Linda like Logan's run for artists/comedians/actors/musicians etc ////

I'm all for cancel culture. In fact there's a whole bunch of people I'd love to see cancelled. I wish I was the one who gets to decide who gets cancelled though.
Eek! Hugh, on this, I must go back to my boring default of, respectfully, we will agree to disagree. Really late for Orwell now, goodbye everyone!

According Marxism culture is just an expression of underlying material and economic conditions so you can't really separate culture wars and class wars, right?

I don't think it's true that the right don't engage in the culture war. There's a main culture war between left and right which is like America vs Russia ... the long-running one .. it doesn't go away but flares up now and again .... cold (and sometimes hot) war. Then there's a bunch of sporadically exploding civil culture wars on the left which are more like the Lebanese civil war. Much more vicious, with multiple actors and continually shifting alliances. Not helpful at all.

I'm all for cancel culture. In fact there's a whole bunch of people I'd love to see cancelled. I wish I was the one who gets to decide who gets cancelled though. That would be amazing. But anyway when someone complains about being cancelled it usually means that their TV show doesn't get renewed for another season or they are suddenly not getting big movie roles or whatever public platform they previously had (and took for granted) is no longer available to them. Boo hoo. It's not like they've been murdered or something. And anyway we get to hear them complaining about being cancelled which means that they weren't really cancelled at all. In fact I would go as far as to say that all public figures should be automaitcally cancelled every ten years so just we don't have to put up with them anymore and we could have new ones instead. I'd even agree to the retired ones getting a small pension. Wouldnt that lead to a much more vibrant and exciting culture? Linda like Logan's run for artists/comedians/actors/musicians etc ////
Is this like, Leninism for celebrities? Nationalize Heat Magazine!

no. just..no

" I pledge to oppose racism, hate & discrimination. I will learn, be aware of my own biases & try to rectify unfairness when I see it. Join me by nominating 5others to do so too "

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back