What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (2 Viewers)

ann post

Supporter
Solutions
A thread for documentation of the Ochlocracy of our time. Not an endorsement of anything, just for observation purposes.

This week, the guy who only tweets newspaper covers is getting attacked for tweeting newspaper covers because a man who got attacked on Twitter for tattooing a gun to his very famous leg as a tribute to his late father being prematurely gunned down was in a newspaper.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I had to unfollow Glinner. How fucking ignorant do you have to be, like? I mean, I'll admit it took me a while to understand trans people and their issues, but I know enough to know that 'TERF' is as much a slur as 'homophobe' is.

The Germaine backlash is just the latest in a slippery slope from her. The gist I get from it (and bear in mind I'm a cis het white man) is that feminism has moved on a lot since she first became a thing, and she hasn't exactly grown or changed along with it. Plus she has previous for edgelord behaviour.

I'll elaborate on the Glinner thing: he's hung up on some TERF women being physically attacked by trans women, which OK that's a thing, but he ignores the context of the provocation involved. It smacks of the bully who needles and needles their victim till they lash out and then the bully cries to the teacher. And it's doubly weird because I imagine he'd be the first to defend, say, Palestinians abused in a similar fashion by the IDF. That's a muddled analogy on review but you get what I mean.

Its a neologism. Its considered to be both 'trans excluding radical feminist' (abbreviation) and also considered to be a slur. I've seen both contexts. Seen an awful lot of tense stuff on twitter around the term a last few months coming from both approaches.

The Germaine backlash is just the latest in a slippery slope from her. The gist I get from it (and bear in mind I'm a cis het white man) is that feminism has moved on a lot since she first became a thing, and she hasn't exactly grown or changed along with it. Plus she has previous for edgelord behaviour.

Edgelord from what perspective though? Certainly she's annoying 4th wave on the run up to a book launch. Thats kinda fascinating, depending on how you perceive her. I cant help thinking that shes probably realised that writing a book for 4th wave wont further anything because its happening in an echo chamber, while writing a book and publicly annoying 4th wave is probably going to put it in the hands of people who probably could do with reading a bit about feminism. With Germaine i find it hard to brush aside her experience and intelligence, her tactical brain. With glinner i'd be happy to accept he's a bit of a muppet on face value. The glinner case is probably going to solve 'terfs' evolution as a neologism if anything, glinner is like 'national' twitter.

Edgelord from what perspective though? Certainly she's annoying 4th wave on the run up to a book launch. Thats kinda fascinating, depending on how you perceive her. I cant help thinking that shes probably realised that writing a book for 4th wave wont further anything because its happening in an echo chamber, while writing a book and publicly annoying 4th wave is probably going to put it in the hands of people who probably could do with reading a bit about feminism. With Germaine i find it hard to brush aside her experience and intelligence, her tactical brain. With glinner i'd be happy to accept he's a bit of a muppet on face value. The glinner case is probably going to solve 'terfs' evolution as a neologism if anything, glinner is like 'national' twitter.

There was a thing on The Late Review more than a decade ago where Greer was defending lusting over some art book with photos of underdressed pubescent boys. I can’t find a relevant link but it was a big deal over the weekend it happened. Always found her a bit of a know-it-all blowhard myself but I feel that way about most TV cultural critics.

As for TERF, I’m not here to police anyone’s use of the term even if I tend to believe people throw around the controlled vocabulary of academic discourse a bit too willy nilly in everyday communication. And I’m a subeditor, so I query its use as a synonym for transphobe.

Has Linehan actually said whether or not he accepts the gender identity of trans people or is he stuck on the terf thing because they probably backed him on his problematic IT Crowd episode?

His reply to one of the many who asked was ambiguous: he said ‘no’ but it was unclear to me where he meant ‘no I don’t deny trans people or trans rights’ or ‘no I don’t believe trans women are women’. His comment on trans men ‘mutilating’ themselves by getting mastectomies speaks to the latter, really.

There was a thing on The Late Review more than a decade ago where Greer was defending lusting over some art book with photos of underdressed pubescent boys. I can’t find a relevant link but it was a big deal over the weekend it happened. Always found her a bit of a know-it-all blowhard myself but I feel that way about most TV cultural critics.

As for TERF, I’m not here to police anyone’s use of the term even if I tend to believe people throw around the controlled vocabulary of academic discourse a bit too willy nilly in everyday communication. And I’m a subeditor, so I query its use as a synonym for transphobe.

I'd take something like that as her looking at what the pop industry does every day and seeing how it looks when a woman acts the same. I don't know loads though and am open to correction on more or less everything. Anywhooo. I digress, I agree with you on the term TERF - I guess as much as twitter, and i guess what I hope from this thread is to look at things from some kind of global neutral point rather than from inside the hamster wheel as twitter is prone to doing by design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back