What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (8 Viewers)

FWIW - on a purely musical level, I think Versatile are fantastic. I like Mango and Kojaque well enough, but Versatile make me jump out of my seat. NWA were scumbags too, I suppose

edit: Also I think a lot of their stuff is genuinely funny. "Everyone being all sound and nice/You know that's making me sad" ... "When did Dublin get so bad?/It's too long since I've been stabbed". Of course some of it makes me cringe, but that doesn't make the funny stuff less funny
I don't like Mango or Kojaque either-it's all so "meh" to me. And from the beginning I always thought Versatile were absolutely terrible. And I didn't know anything about them as people, but now, for me, they are terrible squared. NWA had some good compositions, even if they were problematic, but they weren't posh boys playing at being marginalised, all under the umbrella of "satire", but there is nothing satirical about trapping Erica Cody in her car-unless they are trying to revive Beadles About? But musically, it's each to their own, as it always is :).

FWIW - on a purely musical level, I think Versatile are fantastic. I like Mango and Kojaque well enough, but Versatile make me jump out of my seat. NWA were scumbags too, I suppose

edit: Also I think a lot of their stuff is genuinely funny. "Everyone being all sound and nice/You know that's making me sad" ... "When did Dublin get so bad?/It's too long since I've been stabbed". Of course some of it makes me cringe, but that doesn't make the funny stuff less funny
I don't find them funny at all! It all feels so pointless. I don't understand the point of them. And they are so smarmy. Perhaps they are not feeling that way this morning, though.

I think Versatile got the vibe of "teenage lads from Dublin taking drugs and wandering the streets at 4AM" pretty well, their stuff really reminded me of the worst bits of being a teenager; and yeah some of the most aggro lads in school would have a dad who ran a successful business or the like. Usually in a group of, say, 6 of them; 4 would be from a broken home and 2 would be from a very nice home. It's a complex thing. The bullying and racism is indefensible but not at all surprising.

Caught Kojaque at ATN last year, rammed tent and young crowd going wild. The music was very G-funk by numbers though, not much different than seeing a very competent bunch of lads from Dublin doing James Brown rip-offs. A concept album about working in a Spar deli is cool though.

Just my thoughts on this stuff...

Will anyone here admit to being involved in one of these online cancel campaigns?

I probably was in my early twitter days.

I did a post on my page about r kelly about 8 years ago that got about 3 likes. I shared one of the reactions to versatile debacle. Are you talking about sharing verfiyable information or are you talking about just retweeting saying 'x is over'?

Will anyone here admit to being involved in one of these online cancel campaigns?
I thought this was what this thread was all about? :LOL: I must admit, I am not sure exactly what an online cancel campaign would consist of. I also don't even acknowledge the term "cancel culture", it's deranged. But I do see that people are being called out for poor behaviour, and if there is evidence to back it up, then I think that is positive-I kind of think to myself-if this interaction happened in real life would the result be the same...I hope that it would-saying to someone that their behaviour isn't appropriate and so on. I don't have Facebook or Twitter....it seems that those two mediums are where this stuff emerges, but I don't believe in "cancelling" people, but transparency and accountability is a good thing.

I thought this was what this thread was all about? :LOL: I must admit, I am not sure exactly what an online cancel campaign would consist of. I also don't even acknowledge the term "cancel culture", it's deranged. But I do see that people are being called out for poor behaviour, and if there is evidence to back it up, then I think that is positive-I kind of think to myself-if this interaction happened in real life would the result be the same...I hope that it would-saying to someone that their behaviour isn't appropriate and so on. I don't have Facebook or Twitter....it seems that those two mediums are where this stuff emerges, but I don't believe in "cancelling" people, but transparency and accountability is a good thing.

I don't take part in these campaigns just because I don't do social media beyond this. As far as real life situations go, I do find it hard to call people out on terrible opinions a lot of the time. Most of the time it's a combination of , weirdly enough, being afraid of offending them and not having a good counter argument to hand straight away. I don't want to just start shouting at people "You're wrong" without being able to say why.
Also, I've found, a lot of the time when people hold shitty views on something it's down to being slightly misguided as opposed to being outright evil.

As far as real life situations go, I do find it hard to call people out on terrible opinions a lot of the time
I have a new song about this being mixed atm. It's awesome, honest

I don't think calling out works. My parents, for example, aren't any less homophobic/racist than they were 30 years ago, despite all the arguments we've had about it. Not that they were ever actively homophobic/racist in any way - just yer usual being grossed out by the idea of 2 guys together, and moaning about not being to able understand the Nigerian doctor

I think this is relevant Library of Congress Aesop Fables

Can you not defend the act you like without resorting to "these other guys are scumbags too"? What does NWA being nice or not nice people have to do with Versatile being called on their shit? May as well say Hitler was a bad person so Versatile should be let off the hook.

(in which i use this complaint to justify my own complaints).

Take a look around at how many people who are supposedly irish music journalists are documenting this.

It takes *A LOT* for them to do anything other than copypaste.

Not whorth it wha....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back