What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (4 Viewers)

I mean, who knows?
You'd have thought OTB would have told them "We're going to be discussing this, this and this."
But it seems like they didn't?

Maybe Spar can't afford, or are too cheap for Terry Prone's crew.
I don't think that OTB did anything wrong really.

She signed a deal with Spar to take advantage of her positive public persona (up until this came up first I think the near universal opinion on her was "Kellie Harrington is a lovely, charming person"), which is fair enough, but it's reasonable to examine if that public perception is well founded. If Spar wanted an easy ride they should have bought ad time on newstalk, not have offered a journalist, even a sports one, an interview opportunity.

In general it seems very hard for the media to strike the right tone over touchy subjects.

The athletic did a piece in the last couple of days over the situation with Mason Greenwood and where his career, both in football and more specifically at Manchester United, might go from the charges against him not continuing (he has not "been cleared" in spite of what people online might say) and I saw people pile on the people who wrote it both from a perspective of "you're just doing PR groundwork for the club to reintegrate him into the squad" and "fuck you for keeping digging in to this."

"Kellie Harrington is a lovely, charming person"
She kind of is though. She's a champ and a wonderful example to youth, young girls and gay people. As nice as they come.

I don't think that OTB did anything wrong really.
Dunno. Haven't listened.
Seems like they ambushed her on a very hot topic she wasn't prepared for.

Ask me about something I tweeted 6 months ago and deleted, with the whole world watching?
I wouldn't have a clue how to answer.
Politicians have media training on this - how to pivot, deflect etc.
Sports people deal in banalities "give 100%" and all that nonsense.

It seems like they gave a sports person a political interview and the reaction is "good enough for you"
That show is such a bunch of showy right-on dudes, even Callan was goofing on them at the weekend.

All a matter of perspective though, I love her. I'll forgive a deleted tweet.
All these pile-ons feel great when you're on the side of the pile-on, but when you're with the person, they seem way harsh.
Such is life, I suppose.

The expectation of a young athelete to come with a 360 degree media-perfect fully formed view on everything is part on the public as much is as it is on the media. If twitter et al ask the question, then the media will reflect that. On the spectrum of athelete's she's possibly tipping the needle closer to mcgregor than she is to taylor in outlook - but they dont ask much about your politics in the ring and I'd say whatever she gets into sponsorship wise, what the trainers tell her to get her in the headspace to compete in contact sports is gonna stick with her better than a few mins with a PR person.

If they are allowed to ask her questions in their arean, should she be allowed to punch them?

Newstalk guy said he felt the tweet was incongruous with Spar's corporate values around community and inclusivity, so it seems fair game. Spar should have done their homework.

Listen, he had himself covered for going after her. All the justifications he needed have been listed up and down on Twitter.
I just don’t know if it was necessary to do how he did, or even at all.
He had her in a gotcha and he went for it, with apparently no warning to her.
He gets to feel great that he’s challenged anti-immigrant feeling, his audience get to feel like they are fighting on the side of justice and all the rest of it. Seemed very happy with himself on Twitter this morning, like he’s journo of the year or something.

He could have handled it in any other number of ways. This is not Morning Ireland or The Late Debate or DriveTime.
It’s BantsTime.

I think she deserved better, I think she’s earned better.
I fully accept that I’m not in the majority on this and I do not expect to convince anyone of anything.

Just the amount of groupthink going on with this is astonishing to me.

Listen, he had himself covered for going after her. All the justifications he needed have been listed up and down on Twitter.
I just don’t know if it was necessary to do how he did, or even at all.
He had her in a gotcha and he went for it, with apparently no warning to her.
He gets to feel great that he’s challenged anti-immigrant feeling, his audience get to feel like they are fighting on the side of justice and all the rest of it. Seemed very happy with himself on Twitter this morning, like he’s journo of the year or something.

He could have handled it in any other number of ways. This is not Morning Ireland or The Late Debate or DriveTime.
It’s BantsTime.

I fully accept that I’m not in the majority on this and I do not expect to convince anyone of anything.

Just the amount of groupthink going on with this is astonishing to me.
I'm the opposite of you. I have heard it and haven't followed it on Twitter. She hasn't earned anything except a sports medal and a dose of opprobrium. Again, Spar should have looked twice at who they were hiring.

Yeah, we're not going to see eye to eye

It seems there's a lot of anger about these Ireland Is Full headers and OTB finally got someone in their crosshairs who would serve as a venting spot for that anger. A live on-air purity test for someone with suspect opinions.

My perception from reading Twitter was a lot of glee and self-righteousness, visited on a working class girl who has done her country proud. No mercy shown.

And what was solved actually?
Anyone's mind changed on the nuanced problem of immigration? Hardly.
A bunch of their mostly middle class and male listeners got to have their opinions reaffirmed and values stroked, certainly.
And it only cost this gay Irish hero her good name as she tries to make a second career for herself.
Decent day at the office for OTB then. Good stuff, lads. Bants and side order of justice.

It's all perception though, isn't it?
Everyone brings their own stuff to it.

One man's Laurel is another's Yanny.

When you think about it, spar are the true evil here.

I'd wonder would they do the same to the Irish rugby team this week, or if we didn't have a spare highly talented boxer who can still win things would they still have gone at it.

I also question the value of these media and/or Twitter gotcha moves. It's more about the profile /ego of those dealing out the judgement then it is about the issue at hand.

When you think about it, spar are the true evil here.

I'd wonder would they do the same to the Irish rugby team this week, or if we didn't have a spare highly talented boxer who can still win things would they still have gone at it.

I also question the value of these media and/or Twitter gotcha moves. It's more about the profile /ego of those dealing out the judgement then it is about the issue at hand.

The IRFU can probably afford better media handlers

I wonder brand wise is it more efficient to have a talking head who gets cancelled at a national level than it is to have someone who is entirely acceptable. Spar can reboot their brand in a few months if they like.

I'd wager that Spar have more money than the IRFU. For all the talk of "sport is big business" most premier league football clubs, as an economic entity are about the size of a Big Tesco store that's doing well in the UK.

true - but IRFU would probably be more focused/prepared to manage the media profiles of the athletes they employ, as it would be part of their core business.

The expectation of a young athelete to come with a 360 degree media-perfect fully formed view on everything is part on the public as much is as it is on the media.
I don’t have media training but I know not to spend five minutes in an interview not apologising for being racist on Twitter. You don’t media training to say that it was a mistake and that’s why she deleted the tweet and let’s face it, that would have made this story a lot less of a story. The fact she had a PR person in the room who could have written something down and handed it to her makes it all the more bizarre.

No, fuck that. That’s the kind of thinking that sees people in power getting away with all sorts of shit. She’s done well in boxing (apparently, I’d never heard of her before this) which puts her in a privileged position but she went public with being racist. If it was a footballer would you be saying the same thing? Or the presenter himself? She was asked about it and she dug herself a hole by just squirming and saying that it was in October.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back