What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (9 Viewers)

god, remember Mitski

for someone so bland as Phoebe Bridgers, its amazing the amount of talk there is about her in my little social media bubble. I guess its the horn factor.
Bland as fuck, not only that but the whole thing was an out of tune mess, you'd want to smash your guitar if you had to try and play along with that.

I think what's annoyed me the most is that the monitor she was smashing the guitar off was a prop, purpose built to be smashed. It's that little extra layer of contrivance that means I'll dismiss her music forever.. Sorry , Phoebe....
I'd dismiss her music forever if I thought she could actually write music herself

This is the interesting conversation I was alluding to. It's like when I saw Janelle Monae with only guitar, bass, and drums; with a horn section; and with a horn and string section, and every single time it sounded precisely the same. It speaks to what do people actually want from live performance? An actual live performance or the performance of a live performance? Smashing a guitar on tv in 2021 has several layers of irony, tradition, and gif-able moment all wrapped up together.

She's an "alt" songwriter who also aspires to the absolute blandest of corporate songwriting from 1999, presumably because that was a time when people still actually experienced music together, as opposed to algorithmically determined specifically for you and no one else.
I worked a Janelle Monae gig and the most memorable thing about the music for me is that one of her songs was just a blatant full-on no shame rip-off of Prince. Unless Prince wrote it, I suppose.

Her big pop songs are good, Motion Sickness and Kyoto.

I'm obsessed with how Kyoto is equal parts OMC How Bizarre and Neutral Milk Hotel Holland, 1945

An actual live performance or the performance of a live performance? Smashing a guitar on tv in 2021 has several layers of irony, tradition, and gif-able moment all wrapped up together.

The trend is definitely towards the latter - come hang out at some improv based gigs with me sometime and you'll see just how few people are able to connect with music as a spontaneous event, better still bring someone along who is 100% a 3arena type and watch them lose the will to live for 45 mins - familiarlity is the prime currency in the live world - like DJ based gigs are the pinnicle of that - people revere the moment thier faves tune dropped. I'm not really criticising it, just i think the latter is what people want at the minute.

I do love music as a conversation though I've no idea how to make it appealing.

I shoulda said it in the last post, but a huge amount of peoples relationship with music is sentimental - and in a healthy way the right music can give you direct access memories of things you really enjoyed. That's what people pay for at the door. There's an interesting sub plot of memory hacking going on with the guitar smooshing people - not much different to taylor swift moving in on the grunge dads with her cover versions. Must be the one part of the market they weren't getting with the last campaign...

It's interesting that Miley Cyrus gets a pass for all her rock, metal and punk covers. I even see people sharing her stuff on metal forums and people generally accepting this. A few years ago in would have been "get the fuck out of here with your Hannah fucking Montana" Somewhere along the way everyone decided she was ok. Her latest ( I think ) sounds like it could have been recorded in 1986.

Just adding to the general "what is pop" discussion, or whatever it is this thread is about now.

It's interesting that Miley Cyrus gets a pass for all her rock, metal and punk covers. I even see people sharing her stuff on metal forums and people generally accepting this. A few years ago in would have been "get the fuck out of here with your Hannah fucking Montana" Somewhere along the way everyone decided she was ok. Her latest ( I think ) sounds like it could have been recorded in 1986.

Just adding to the general "what is pop" discussion, or whatever it is this thread is about now.
I'm not sure, I think it was because she hung out with Flaming Lips for a while. They both seemed to make each other more respectable somehow

It might be because she seems (so far as I can tell) to have realised at some point that all that earlier stuff was the pop industry exploiting her, and now she seems to be doing music that she wants to do herself. Or something like that.

It's literally just a Plasmatics parody/tribute/homage album isn't it? Right down to the artwork. I don't mind because I think that sleazy LA exploitative thing suits her well, she's not one for subtle.

Better than that video of her YELLING through Heart of Glass.

I think what's annoyed me the most is that the monitor she was smashing the guitar off was a prop, purpose built to be smashed. It's that little extra layer of contrivance that means I'll dismiss her music forever.. Sorry , Phoebe....

Saw Monster Magnet in Dublin years ago. I only really went because mates were,and Gluecifer were opening. Anyway near the end the singer collected a burning guitar from a roadie,but put on protective gloves first before taking it.
Had i cared for them before,that would have ended right there.

Saw Monster Magnet in Dublin years ago. I only really went because mates were,and Gluecifer were opening. Anyway near the end the singer collected a burning guitar from a roadie,but put on protective gloves first before taking it.
Had i cared for them before,that would have ended right there.
I think I would have been all like "Yay! Flames! Yay!"
I'm a man of simple pleasures

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back