What to do in Dublin? (1 Viewer)

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
My team in work is coming to Dublin (well, Dun Laoghaire) for a week-long series of meetings in June, and probably they'll be expecting me to show them around in the evenings and maybe a little bit one afternoon

I haven't lived in Dublin since 2004, so I'm not exactly up on things. Was thinking maybe a visit to Trinity, and a few pints in the Cobblestone. Any other suggestions?

Howth on a non-weekend day

I’d pitch the Palace or the Sackville before the Cobbler – but that’s a personal preference

Consider the Dawson also

People do love the Storehouse, and visitors will likely expect to see it. Great timekiller if you are a host.

Trinity and the long room is solid

I have a long standing soft spot for St Michan’s and the crypts

And in general it helps to do research. I know this sounds dumb, but nothing worse than getting out to Howth (or wherever) and being asked something about Lambay or Ireland’s Eye and not having a clue.

I quite liked walking out the South Wall. It gives a nice view of Dublin from out there, and it's just cool in general.

PLUS I hear there's a dogging spot at the start of the pier there. It's no carpark in Mullingar, but it's arguably one of the top ten dogging venues in Dublin.

You might consider bringing them out to Gaffney's in Fairview or The Sheds in Clontarf

Have a proper pint with proper Dubs

Maybe RYan's in Beggars Bush is the southside equivalent

The thing with city centre pubs is that they are full of tourists, and the meaning and expereince of them is utterly diluted

All that said, the Cobblestone is a very decent shout. Or Walsh's.

Jesus, I am gasping for a beer.

I’d pitch the Palace or the Sackville before the Cobbler – but that’s a personal preference

Consider the Dawson also
I was going for somewhere with a bit of trad, and O'Donoghue's seems too touristy. Never been in the Cobblestone - it's not one of these places where you have to be silent, is it?

I was going for somewhere with a bit of trad, and O'Donoghue's seems too touristy. Never been in the Cobblestone - it's not one of these places where you have to be silent, is it?
If you're up the front near the musicians, people prefer if you don't yabber
Or that is my recollection

It's been a while

it depends on how busy it is, if there's fuck all people beyond the musicians chatter is discouraged in my experience. However if its a bit busier as long as you're not bellowing at the top of your voice beside the musicians youre generally ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back