What television series are you currently making your way through? (6 Viewers)

Good Omens is brilliant! One of my most-loved things from the last year (or so)

Yeah, I'm not one for that Pratchetty twee Englishness (I've never read any of his books, herself is a fan though). Good Omens has that, but lightly, it was good fun. I remember when it came out I heard a lot of "meh" about it. I'm glad I checked it out.

Thanks to you pricks for the Superstore tip - I am ploughing through it. Glenn is a hero, some of the secondary characters (eg the cynical guy who films traimp fights?) are amazing, and I especially love the little customer vignettes with accompanying soundtracks - did you catch the bowling alley scene into the crate of beer with Twisted Sister playing in the background. So surreal. Love it!
Just started on this over the weekend. Only 4 or 5 episodes in but loving it so far

Yeah, I'm not one for that Pratchetty twee Englishness (I've never read any of his books, herself is a fan though). Good Omens has that, but lightly, it was good fun. I remember when it came out I heard a lot of "meh" about it. I'm glad I checked it out.
I definitely moaned about it on here. and I stand by my moans.

We watched 2 episodes of Superstore a while back and gave up on it. Based on a few comments here of the last week we went back to it and burned through season 1 and into S2. It's a fine time killer. I can't warm to Glenn though.

Really? I just loved the relationship at the centre of it.
Two great performances, I just thought the script (or maybe the direction or something) didn't work and the whole thing was a boring, muddled, mess that they didn't sufficiently finish translating from the novel to the screen. Funny that seanc up there accuses Pratchett of being twee when my main issue with this adaptation is that they made it twee. I'll live.

Two great performances, I just thought the script (or maybe the direction or something) didn't work and the whole thing was a boring, muddled, mess that they didn't sufficiently finish translating from the novel to the screen. Funny that seanc up there accuses Pratchett of being twee when my main issue with this adaptation is that they made it twee. I'll live.

Well as I said I haven't read any of the books. But every TV adaptation I've seen of his seems to involve something *extraordinary* happening in.....Tunbridge Wells, or somewhere like that. Everyone is delightfully eccentric and there's loads of plinky string music that implies something humourous is happening. All of which I find twee and annoying. But Good Omens was good.

Well as I said I haven't read any of the books. But every TV adaptation I've seen of his seems to involve something *extraordinary* happening in.....Tunbridge Wells, or somewhere like that. Everyone is delightfully eccentric and there's loads of plinky string music that implies something humourous is happening. All of which I find twee and annoying. But Good Omens was good.
Pratchett was mostly an exasperated, angry writer, but he did like puns so I guess that's pretty twee. He also wrote a book every couple of months so he was one of those writers who could release a dud and a cracker in the same year multiple times. Anyway, I thought the Good Omens adaptation sucked so that's where we are. I lay the blame at the feet of Neil Gaiman.

every TV adaptation I've seen of his seems to involve something *extraordinary* happening in.....Tunbridge Wells, or somewhere like that
Good Omens is the only TV adaption I've seen, and that's great (sticks tongue out at @Lili Marlene ) The books can be v variable and ... erm, I can't recall any of them being set in England. Some of the Ringworld settings, like the Unseen University and the chalk downs are kind of English-y, I suppose. He has some cracking characters though, and when they're good they're very good

Pratchett's Discworld series started out great, went downhill in the middle, before a return to form with some actual brilliant books before the alzheimers took hold.

I've been watching season 6 of Line Of Duty, MOTHER OF GOD!

Ooh also two other things I've been watching:

Whatever the current season of Law and Order SUV is. They started with a hilarious episode that was based on that lad in the park in New York last year who had the cops called on him by some white woman dickhead because he asked her to put her dog on a leash. DING DING.

And whatever series of Blue Bloods that RTE is showing. This show is fucking hilariousssss, and completely unintentionally. It really must just be made by complete dickheads, haha. I guess there must be enough cops in America that watch this fucking trash for it to keep being made, hahaha.

The funny thing about those two shows is that SUV at least seems to have some awareness of how shit cops are in general and why there are so many protests about them now, whereas in Blue Bloods they just don't give a fuck at all, every episode is "Yes, but our officers are great and under fire for no reason!" hahaha

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back