What television series are you currently making your way through? (13 Viewers)

Slow is good but I'm going to watch The Changes instead. It has 10 24-minute episodes.

The Changes posits a Britain where a sudden enveloping noise emanating from all machinery and technology causes the population to destroy them. The resulting upheaval displaces many people and reverts society to a pre-industrial age where there is a deep suspicion of anyone who may be harbouring machinery. Even the words for technology are taboo. The remnants of modern technology that escape destruction (such as electricity pylons) produce a physical and sometimes violent repulsion among those left in Britain.

The Changes are seen through the eyes of teenage schoolgirl Nicky Gore (Victoria Williams), and the 10-part series, originally broadcast every Monday from 6 January to 10 March 1975, traces Nicky's quest to reunite with her parents and solve the mystery.

Anyway, we've been hammering through Schitt's Creek for the lockdown, and only a handful of episodes left. Will be gutted when we're through

Same. I was a bit on the fence about it for the first series but now really enjoying it. The main characters present themselves initially as the biggest bunch of assholes you could possibly imagine but they gradually become really endearing.

I liked Schitt's Creek at the beginning but it started to grate
Normally not my thing but I loved the son so much. I watched it all when it came out.

I started and finished Parks and Rec during the lockdown. That's commitment. Enjoyed it thoroughly.
Finally watching Halt & Catch Fire. I like it.

Always adored Parks and rec, miss it loads. Bit like the Good Place in that it didn't land right in it's first season, but it bloomed. Anytime I've ever recommended it to someone they always say they watched a few and gave up, and you go, "you just need to stick with it". Always afraid to ask if they did and still hated it and I robbed them of precious hours of their life

Fingers crossed this weeks Parks and Recs comeback special is good!

Not sure if anyone mentioned it here before, but just finished 'Life in Pieces' on Prime.

its a hoot. Short episode comprised of 4 short stories each, about different members of the same family. No one overly famous in it. Skyler from Breaking Bad, and Tom Hanks son, Colin, are about all I knew.

Finished season 5 of Schitts Creek last night, we thought it was actually the last series and if that had been the ending it would have made for one of the best sitcom finales ever. Thank christ there's one more season to go though, can't bear to think of life without the Roses.

I can't think of any other show that's ever succeeded in making the world's worst people so utterly charming and endearing. I was on the verge of tears several times during the last two episodes of season 5. What's happening to me...

Better Call Saul. Gave up midway through season 2 last time. Picked up at the beginning of S2 this time to familiarise myself with the story. It's great, I don't know what stopped me watching last time, probably my brilliant and exciting social life ha ha. The acting and writing is phenomenal. Wonderful little details everywhere.

I watched the first episode of Bachelors Walk there and it was good. Never saw it back in the day. Seems like it's an actual rare decent show made by RTE. Worth going through?

I didn't like it at the time. Lots did though.

Finished the second series of After Life. Not as good as the first. I have to think he was going for something very specific here. An unrelenting sadness and obsession. Deliberately made to overwhelm the audience like someone suffering. Half way through the series you're thinking oh my god shut up. But it keeps going and going.
Most of the subplots are total shite, the psychiatrist is the dumbest character I've ever seen on TV. Gervais clearly got the Netflix memo on the mandatory use of 'cunt'. Actually I think he was having a laugh with them and totally overused it on purpose.
Can't go wrong with making a dog the star of a show.

I started watching The Prisoner, the 60s show with Patrick McGoohan. It's deadly so far, I never saw it before. I was going to start re-watching Prisoner Cell Block H but I could only find season 4 on the torrents. Allo Allo for half hour lunchtime viewing.

Watched Unorthodox in one sitting last Friday. Very good. 4 episode series is a great format.

One Ep3 of Wolf Hall. Excellent. Was dubious about how they could translate such a vast book to the screen but it works really well. Not sure how easy it would be to follow or appreciate if you had not read the books but it's certainly added to my enjoyment of the books by connecting some things I hadn't fully connected when reading.

Watched Unorthodox in one sitting last Friday. Very good. 4 episode series is a great format.

One Ep3 of Wolf Hall. Excellent. Was dubious about how they could translate such a vast book to the screen but it works really well. Not sure how easy it would be to follow or appreciate if you had not read the books but it's certainly added to my enjoyment of the books by connecting some things I hadn't fully connected when reading.

I think the way the series is done makes it easy enough to follow, but some kind of knowledge of Brit Bastard history is kind of necessary isn't it. I think after the first time I saw an episode of it I went on a Wikipedia binge about Cromwell and shit. I guess in saying that I learned a fair but about that period in England over the years partially through music history, but like I say I've spent hours reading about that kind of shit even before that. It's exactly the kind of Wikipedia thing that will send me down a hole for hours.

Oh actually tell you what else I thought was good in the same vein, a few years back German TV made this show about The Reformation called Reformation funny enough. Just a two part thing, think RTE actually showed it at one point. It's definitely over-dramatic and takes a fair amount of liberties, but as a starting point for hours of trawling through wiki it's great haha.

The Football Show on Sky Sports News @ 9am-11am every morning.

Gaz Neville, Carra, Souness, Keano, Le Tiss, Merse etc.
having a debate from home with various guests and themes.
starts off with debate about current state of football in virus crisis usually led
insightfully by Neville.
plenty of guest folks (players, managers, officalis, chairmen) coming and
going as two hours progress.
later stages they talk about some vintage memorable big match that happened
on that date, usually with a player who was involved.
and of course lots of funny stories about each other,

some recent highlights:

Merson said he told his manager at Portsmouth, Harry Redknapp he needed to go
to the rehab centre set up by Tony Adams.
he then went on holiday to Barbados and met a pal of Harry's on the beach there
who phoned Harry, who wondered what he was doing in the clinic with Merson.
Harry didn't mention it to Merse when he got back and just let him away with it.

Keano sitting very close to the screen made his huge face look scary.

Souness explaining how he let Ali Dai, a total chancer trialist, play for Southampton.

I think the way the series is done makes it easy enough to follow, but some kind of knowledge of Brit Bastard history is kind of necessary isn't it. I think after the first time I saw an episode of it I went on a Wikipedia binge about Cromwell and shit. I guess in saying that I learned a fair but about that period in England over the years partially through music history, but like I say I've spent hours reading about that kind of shit even before that. It's exactly the kind of Wikipedia thing that will send me down a hole for hours.

Oh actually tell you what else I thought was good in the same vein, a few years back German TV made this show about The Reformation called Reformation funny enough. Just a two part thing, think RTE actually showed it at one point. It's definitely over-dramatic and takes a fair amount of liberties, but as a starting point for hours of trawling through wiki it's great haha.

My knowledge of English history is that period is dismal. Which is brilliant for reading the books. I know Anne Boleyn is ousted but I can't remember if she gets divorced or beheaded or what. Or what happened to Katherine etc.

Then I went and watched a documentary about Hilary Mantel a few weeks ago and within the first five minutes someone is talking about how she deals with Thomas Cromwell's execution at the end of the new book. Which I haven't got to yet. Prick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back