What song is stuck in your head/makes you irrationally angry? (1 Viewer)

Football's Coming Home - Baddiel/Skinner/Ian Brodie.
The song is lightweight fluff like all Lightning Seeds crap and I laughed when I first heard it in 1996.
It's about the sense of entitlement and lack of self awareness of English sports fans.
Difficult to avoid if yer a footie fan at the moment. Hopefully it will be laid to rest for a while Sunday night.
It gets stuck in England football fans heads and makes them irrational.
Sums up David Baddiel for me.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Football's Coming Home - Baddiel/Skinner/Ian Brodie.
The song is lightweight fluff like all Lightning Seeds crap and I laughed when I first heard it in 1996.
It's about the sense of entitlement and lack of self awareness of English sports fans.
Difficult to avoid if yer a footie fan at the moment. Hopefully it will be laid to rest for a while Sunday night.
It gets stuck in England football fans heads and makes them irrational.
Sums up David Baddiel for me.
That song came out a couple of years after Baddiel and Skinner had a TV show called Fantasy Football League. It was the most misogynistic, brain-dead, lager-lout bullshit to ever have had the misfortune to have been shown on tv. There are references in the video of the song to that TV show, so they are very much directly associated.

On that TV show they destroyed the career of Jason Lee by continually ridiculing him. They had a concerted hatred campaign against Geoff Thomas, who they didn't thing should be playing for England (they wanted LeTissier) - the same Geoff Thomas who went on to suffer, and recover from, cancer, and who has since raised hundreds of thousands of pounds for cancer research by cycling the Tour de France route every year.

They threw Paula Yates off the show because of stuff going on in her personal life at the time (the company responsible for making the show was owned by Geldof).

They had a slot called 'Jeff Astle Sings', where Jeff Astle, a former WBA footballer, probably then in his late 60s, would come out and sing a song. Astle died a few years later and his family came out and criticised the show for embarrassing and ridiculing him, via that slot.

But yeah, lets get all the kids singing it. After all, this football match seems to be a great distraction from the mass murder the govt are about to unleash on their population, so why would anyone have any qualms about where the song originates from.

That song came out a couple of years after Baddiel and Skinner had a TV show called Fantasy Football League. It was the most misogynistic, brain-dead, lager-lout bullshit to ever have had the misfortune to have been shown on tv. There are references in the video of the song to that TV show, so they are very much directly associated.

On that TV show they destroyed the career of Jason Lee by continually ridiculing him. They had a concerted hatred campaign against Geoff Thomas, who they didn't thing should be playing for England (they wanted LeTissier) - the same Geoff Thomas who went on to suffer, and recover from, cancer, and who has since raised hundreds of thousands of pounds for cancer research by cycling the Tour de France route every year.

They threw Paula Yates off the show because of stuff going on in her personal life at the time (the company responsible for making the show was owned by Geldof).

They had a slot called 'Jeff Astle Sings', where Jeff Astle, a former WBA footballer, probably then in his late 60s, would come out and sing a song. Astle died a few years later and his family came out and criticised the show for embarrassing and ridiculing him, via that slot.

But yeah, lets get all the kids singing it. After all, this football match seems to be a great distraction from the mass murder the govt are about to unleash on their population, so why would anyone have any qualms about where the song originates from.
one of the few times I saw that programme was the one with the Ray Houghton 'I'm really Irish' skit.

the racist abuse of Jason Lee was something I only heard of when Baddiel offered a lacklustre apology a few years ago.
I never knew Jeff Astle was on it until long after he died. it struck me as a strange way to treat your football hero as Frank Skinner is a WBA fan.
I didn't know about Geoff Thomas being mocked until now.
Geoff didn't play for England that many times so they need to blame successive England managers for not picking Matt LeTissier . Geoff was a cyclist long before it was fashionable in the UK and I remember his fundraising well he was doing the TdF routes a few days ahead of the race which was a lot of pressure. not bad for a leukaemia survivor - great guy and a really good player who suffered injuries at the height of his career that stopped his progress.

there are a lot of football songs you could put in this thread.

I used too hate Gazza even when he played for Newcastle as a young lad.
but later after he retired I began to feel huge pity for him. the poor guy's capacity for shooting himself in the foot when he's drinking is terribly sad.

we have crap songs too.
how did they steal the corn and get it up from Cork to East Galway?
or is there something I'm missing?

I only know Badiell from the days of Numan & Badiell. I saw them live in Liberty Hall, they were great. Then H&B split up and I lost track. I knew David was doing a football thing (pass), but didn't know he became a prick.
I did see Rob Numan's comedy return in the Laughter Lounge where he was almost totally ignored by the assholes there to drink and laugh at shit comedy. I told some to shut up during Rob's set, he then kicked the back of my chair repeatedly until he eventually left.
Rob's set was about 20 minutes of him mumbling about politics and scratching his head while he looked at the floor. I could barely make out a word he said. Not a great night.

Everton - Here We Go (on Wogan 1985)

goalkeeper/ legend / activist/ twitter great, Neville Southall refused to be part of this.

Is this a football song thread now?

Howard Kendall the guy who was Blackburn manager in 1980 was Everton manager from 1981-87!
EDIT:
Yeah - I'm sorry I ruined Boobee's thread, it was supposed to be about harmless music that for whatever reason gets you really irritated. if no one else brings up football I won't either.

this was a key moment in the mellow cover version genre that has plagued humanity for decades now -
Tori Amos - Smells Like Teen Spirit (1992)

Last edited:
I only know Badiell from the days of Numan & Badiell. I saw them live in Liberty Hall, they were great. Then H&B split up and I lost track. I knew David was doing a football thing (pass), but didn't know he became a prick.
I did see Rob Numan's comedy return in the Laughter Lounge where he was almost totally ignored by the assholes there to drink and laugh at shit comedy. I told some to shut up during Rob's set, he then kicked the back of my chair repeatedly until he eventually left.
Rob's set was about 20 minutes of him mumbling about politics and scratching his head while he looked at the floor. I could barely make out a word he said. Not a great night.
I was at that Rob Newman gig too. Recall people only got on board when he did that "Your mum" bit from the Newman & Badiell show. He was part of that Mary Whitehouse experience show before I think.

Fuckin' Peter Crouch. Fake craic fucker.

I want to bump into him into a bar - deliberately - get up in his grid. Five seconds later out the side alley, a couple of slaps to the kidneys, and he's felled like last year's Christmas tree.

Howard Kendall the guy who was Blackburn manager in 1980 was Everton manager from 1981-87!
EDIT:
Yeah - I'm sorry I ruined Boobee's thread, it was supposed to be about harmless music that for whatever reason gets you really irritated. if no one else brings up football I won't either.

this was a key moment in the mellow cover version genre that has plagued humanity for decades now -
Tori Amos - Smells Like Teen Spirit (1992)

Frente's Bizarre Love Triangle is another one.

Most Nickelodeon TV show theme tunes fill me with dread (except Spounge Bob) especially Alvin and The Chipmunks.
Would to love see an episode about the Chipmunks being run out of school by a mob and so I could hear what they sound like being tortured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back