What movie did you watch last night? (25 Viewers)

Hereditary and Midsommar in the cinema.

Hereditary is one of the scariest movies of all time. Seeing it anywhere but the cinema is doing it a disservice. The sound needs to be big. Because it's ominous as fuck. Sub bass rumbling. It's a masterpiece of cinema.

Midsommar....even better on second viewing. It's quite magnificent.

Getting back into watching films. Recent DVDs from the library

Jurassic World Dominion (2022) - I can always find something likeable in these dumb movies. Not much going on here through. I did like the shot of Bryce Dallas Howard crawling into the water. Some of the most mellow dinosaur battles ever.

Candyman (2021) - Really enjoyed it. Good length. Right amount of unhinged horror movie stuff at the end. Just on the right side of being clever but not annoying. Excellent effort.

Lean on Pete (2017) - I was always going to look on this favorably since it was based on the Willy Vlautin novel. Who I love as a songwriter and singer, but don't think he's just there at writing books. Coming of age story about a kid who's life in Wyoming is shit and finds something with a busted old racehorse. I liked it.

Hereditary is one of the scariest movies of all time. Seeing it anywhere but the cinema is doing it a disservice. The sound needs to be big. Because it's ominous as fuck. Sub bass rumbling. It's a masterpiece of cinema.

TLOK

Lakelands in the IFI the other day.
Very good, it's about a Longford GAA lad who gets battered by some lads on a night out and then has to try and learn to cope with his head injury.
It's a bit normal people, here's some lad from the country who can't talk about anything, sure, but it's all done pretty well and the way the film develops helps it get clear enough away from that to be worthwhile. They couldn't get Mescal so they got some other lad to play him, he does a grand job.
If anything it reminds me of Garage, it's got a similar pace and feel to it with similar nice country shots and stuff.

Land of the minotaur (aka the devil's men) 1976
On YouTube

If anyone asks me who my favourite actor is....and they rarely do, I usually say, Peter Cushing. He was always good, even if the film wasn't. This is one of those ropey films. Three young people, one of which is a leggy blonde arrive in Greece looking for their friends who have gone missing. They also disappear, so an Irish priest played by Donald Pleasence & a detective get on the case & discover they have been kidnapped by a strange cult that worship the statue of a fire breathing minotaur.
It's all very predictable, but I was hardly expecting a masterpiece. It's not the worst though.
It looks good, thanks to the Greek locations & is nicely shot, but a lot of scenes have that disjointed euro horror feel. There is some stilted dialogue and odd reactions. it does have a soundtrack by Brian Eno, which is okay (sparse eerie synths & oscillating delay effects) One of the hot blondes (Luan Peters) was in an episode of Fawlty towers playing an Australian being lusted after by Basil.

Last edited:
Very good, it's about a Longford GAA lad who gets battered by some lads on a night out and then has to try and learn to cope with his head injury.
It's a bit normal people, here's some lad from the country who can't talk about anything, sure, but it's all done pretty well and the way the film develops helps it get clear enough away from that to be worthwhile. They couldn't get Mescal so they got some other lad to play him, he does a grand job.
If anything it reminds me of Garage, it's got a similar pace and feel to it with similar nice country shots and stuff.
Actually RTE was showing a Normal People re-run, and whaddya know, turns out Mescal's stunt double is indeed one of the lads in the school that he's mates with.

Currently watching Arrival.

I was watching it with cap'n and daughter. They happily both like this as much as I do. I can't sit through this movie in one sitting, it hits me in a way and it demands all of your attention. Heptopods, pure weapons altogether.

Billy Bathgate .. wanted to watch it after reading the incredible book. Turned off after 15 mins. Excrable.

Blood and Gold . Watchable king fu nazi b movie on Netflix.

Oh, I'd love to have gone to that. I love Hereditary and am always surprised when people say they hate it. I expected to love Midsommar but there were too many "seen it all before" scenes and I really really disliked every character. I've tried to rewatch it but all think" Not these cunts" and give up. I'm told it's amazing on the big screen though.

Was talking to a lad down the pub in Slane a few weeks ago, him and his best buddy both went to header the same ball playing soccer as teens (30 years ago) and had a clash of heads. He was fine, the other guy was in a coma for weeks, had to re-learn to walk, and never fully recovered. The head is a v delicate yoke

Oh, I'd love to have gone to that. I love Hereditary and am always surprised when people say they hate it. I expected to love Midsommar but there were too many "seen it all before" scenes and I really really disliked every character. I've tried to rewatch it but all think" Not these cunts" and give up. I'm told it's amazing on the big screen though.
TLOK

Full Time.
Contender for most stressful film of the year, this is one hard watch. It's about a woman juggling her full time job in a 5-star hotel in Paris with bringing up 2 kids out in the country whilst she is also applying for better jobs, all in the middle of a public transport strike.
It's fuckin greaaaaat, and the lead woman is amazin. This is wayyyyyy more stressful than something like Uncut Gems though, because it actually feels like real people. Also, the soundtrack here is basically recorded tension. It's actually really hard to watch!

There's a great bit where she's cleaning in the hotel and one of the other cleaners calls her to deal with a 'Bobby Sands' hahahaha

Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse

Going to have to see this again. Spent so much time going HOLY SHIT THIS LOOKS SO FUCKIN GOOD that I'm sure i missed loads of what was going on, but HOLY SHIT IT LOOKS SO FUCKIN GOOD.

Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse

Going to have to see this again. Spent so much time going HOLY SHIT THIS LOOKS SO FUCKIN GOOD that I'm sure i missed loads of what was going on, but HOLY SHIT IT LOOKS SO FUCKIN GOOD.
oh fuck, that is out

I totally forgot!

@pete is this definitely an IMAX yoke?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back