What movie did you watch last night? (16 Viewers)

Black Panther Wakanda yawnyawnyawn

This isn't overly terrible as the plot chugs along okay and the dialogue isn't as awful as most Marvel shit, but it's basically still more Marvel bollocks. The bad guy has a nice backstory which of course quickly devolves into "I wanna kill, everyone, Satan is good, Satan is our pal" with no real reason behind it. Too bad, he's a reasonably cool bad guy but just ends up all over the place because of poor writing. As usual, Wakanda is a bastion of progressiveness in which the ordinary Wakandan has no choice at all over who leads them, they just follow whatever tribal chief is in charge, like the progressive slaves they are.
It's all very predictable, bit of a yawnfest, like most Marvel stuff. It does contain some bits of cool synthy music though, some of the music is pretty great which is a nice change anyway. Some.

I saw Corsage the other day.
It's a good film, about one of the last empresseseses of the Austro-Hungarian lads, and her struggle with the 'lifestyle expected' of an Empress. It occurred to me after, I actually saw her tomb earlier in the year.
Anyway, good film, but it is a bit odd alright, like I don't know how historical it actually is, it seems to me there's probably a good rake of artistic license being taken throughout. This feeling is exacerbated by the weird ending (won't give any spoilers here) which definitely doesn't follow actual events.
It seems odd for a film like this to indulge in fiction/a-historicity as well. Aside from that it's very good all in all.

Edit: Oh yeah, the soundtrack is fucking shit. This was a brilliant opportunity to fill the screen with amazing music that would fit the period, instead you have some fucking modern trash for most of it, a missed chance.
Kaiser Franz Joseph's (reigned 1848-1917) wife Elisabeth?

after revolts across Europe were put down in 1848 Franz Joseph became Kaiser aged 19 after his father was forced to abdicate.
in the 1850s Franz Joseph's life was saved by a lad called Count O'Donnell after he struck down the would be assassin with his sabre (no shit!).

Franz Joseph's brother Maximilian was executed in Mexico city in 1867 after monarchists tried to install him as Emperor of Mexico.

Franz Joseph and Elisabeth's only son Rudolf died in a murder/suicide of a 17 year old Baroness he was having an affair with in 1889 (Maylering Incident) this led to F.J.'s nephew Franz Ferdinand becoming Habsburg heir

Empress Elisabeth was assassinated in 1898 in Geneva by Italian anarchist Luigi Lucheni.

F.J. didn't get along with Franz Ferdinand and was shit to wife Sophie 'cause she was not a royal.
the couple were told their kids wouldn't be allowed inherit the throne if they married.

after the assassinations in Sarajevo in 1914 Franz Joseph is often quoted as saying words to the effect of -
''I have been spared nothing''.

after revolts across Europe were put down in 1848 Franz Joseph became Kaiser aged 19 after his father was forced to abdicate.
in the 1850s Franz Joseph's life was saved by a lad called Count O'Donnell after he struck down the would be assassin with his sabre (no shit!).

Franz Joseph's brother Maximilian was executed in Mexico city in 1867 after monarchists tried to install him as Emperor of Mexico.

Franz Joseph and Elisabeth's only son Rudolf died in a murder/suicide of a 17 year old Baroness he was having an affair with in 1889 (Maylering Incident) this led to F.J.'s nephew Franz Ferdinand becoming Habsburg heir

Empress Elisabeth was assassinated in 1898 in Geneva by Italian anarchist Luigi Lucheni.

F.J. didn't get along with Franz Ferdinand and was shit to wife Sophie 'cause she was not a royal.
the couple were told their kids wouldn't be allowed inherit the throne if they married.

after the assassinations in Sarajevo in 1914 Franz Joseph is often quoted as saying words to the effect of -
two mistakes:
F.J. succeeded his uncle (not father ) and died in 1916 (not 1917).

Emily the Criminal. Was enjoying this but there's a dog featured prominently in the film and my dog goes nuts when dogs bark on the telly so I had to turn it off. Aubrey Plaza though. Hell yeah baby!

Aye, that's the one. I love it when the Irish ex-pats show up in mad places after the flight of the Earls, here's another one, the lad who built this place in Portugal

Aye, that's the one. I love it when the Irish ex-pats show up in mad places after the flight of the Earls, here's another one, the lad who built this place in Portugal

lovely joint there alright.

the O'Donnells turn up all over the place. 'The flight of the Earls' folks titles served them well where ever they settled.
The head of the O'Donnell clan is a Spanish Duke. the first Duke was Leopoldo O'Donnell a 19th century Spanish prime minister and general.
I mentioned this guy here before but there are lots of other examples.

lovely joint there alright.

the O'Donnells turn up all over the place. 'The flight of the Earls' folks titles served them well where ever they settled.
The head of the O'Donnell clan is a Spanish Duke. the first Duke was Leopoldo O'Donnell a 19th century Spanish prime minister and general.
I mentioned this guy here before but there are lots of other examples.
He's no Bernardo O'Higgins!

Finally got around to The French Dispatch after missing its cinema run a while back.. For me the best Wes Anderson movies are the ones that are most obviously comedies and set a few decades in the past (basically, Grand Budapest Hotel) so this ticked both of those boxes, in that the '60s setting works with his style and I did find it quite funny. The anthology structure isn't my favourite for narrative films but it does give him an excuse to cast what seemed to be every actor from his past 5 films. I liked almost all the individual sections, with the Benicio del Torro / Lea Seydoux one being my favourite whereas the Frances McDormand / Timothy Chalamee student protest segment strayed a bit too far across the whimsy threshold.

Also saw After Hours the Martin Scorcese movie over the Christmas break, which was good fun, had never seen it before, really captured the vibe of scuzzy & dangerous but socially vibrant mid 80s New York.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Jerry Twig
  • dudley
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back