What movie did you watch last night? (19 Viewers)

Other recent watches

Hobo with a shotgun -

Couldn't remember if i liked it or what so have it a second go.

In ways it's amazing - the ambience in it is so intense, the special effects are kinda shit but still made me a bit squeamish. It's a bit like if fianna fail never left office too.

And going clear - the scientology documentary.

I mean like you'd predict it a bit - there is something nice about the people who escaped getting back to smiling and living a bit. The organisation is scary but also was just thinking of sycophantic types and how the only difference here really is structure..

Fucking started watching Clear & Present Danger cos Netflix put the best bit as a teaser on the home screen

Dated story but solid filmmaking
Lots of little character tells buried into the goings-on that you can only see on a re-watch

Narcos has kind of undercut a lot of this, but it's almost nice to be in a world of bad guys and good guys and Harrison Ford

Yesterday saw Both Sides Of The Blade - French drama about a love triangle. Very good, at times subtle at times in your face.

Also saw Fall - Two women climb up a big radio mast in middle of nowhere America and get stuck up there (naturally). Surprisingly decent craic for just another 'survival against the odds' story. Maybe it's easier to watch cause both of them are smashing hahaha. There's a good cliffhanger moment at the start "SARAHHHHHH" and a decent twist at one point. And there's also a Conan moment which is quite funny
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Saw 'Three thousands years of longing' - Tilda Swinton is a loner who unleashes Djinn Idris Elba whilst in Istanbul.
George Miller directs, so I went to see this to make sure he'll be given money for whatever he wants. It's pretty good, nothing amazingly special but it's just a nice yarn about the life of a genie mostly. It's a story about the art of story telling, pretty nice film. Music is good too, very melancholy.

Yesterday I saw 'The Quiet Girl' however that is spelt in Irish. Very slow burner film about a foster kid, more or less, set in 70s(? I would guess) rural Ireland. Very good film, very well made - it reminds me a bit of Garage in that it's very actor focused slow moving set in backwards rural Ireland, with a lot of lingering shots that look great, also minimal music. Probably gonna be best Irish film of the year, unless oul McDonagh changes that.

Ad astra

Brad pit deals with his emotions in space. pretty likeable movie with a nice pace. fake space on film with cool sound effects is a really great template for a movie

the grapes of wrath

it's from 1940 i don't know how relevant the spoiler tag is - easy to watch and good performances all round - i read the book / movie comparisons after and they definitely took all the good bits out of the book

Yesterday saw Both Sides Of The Blade - French drama about a love triangle. Very good, at times subtle at times in your face.

Also saw Fall - Two women climb up a big radio mast in middle of nowhere America and get stuck up there (naturally). Surprisingly decent craic for just another 'survival against the odds' story. Maybe it's easier to watch cause both of them are smashing hahaha. There's a good cliffhanger moment at the start "SARAHHHHHH" and a decent twist at one point. And there's also a Conan moment which is quite funny

This was good craic alright ..they missed a trick by not calling it Up The Pole though .

Moonage Daydream. (cinema)

I thought it was pretty amazing, i suspect it might be lost on a tv a bit - they had the sound up in the cinema and it kinda gets intense at times but i in a good way. Like the 1 inch speakers on your tele aren't gonna cut this one.

Amild criticism is that it seems to dwell more in the early career than later career - fans will see ten year jumps

I do think it was excellent though - just if you have the opportunity the big screen and cinema sound are what it's made for.

Then I saw this tweet 🤨

We both know she's right

It applies to men as well, as the virgin/chad meme demonstrates

Last edited:
A study in terror (1965)
I hadn't watched this in a long time. Basically its Sherlock Holmes meets jack the ripper.
Looks great, well acted. Men in big coats following buxom prostitutes down foggy alleyways.
"Allo guvnor. Looking for a good time?" The flash of a knife, A scream. Bright red blood.
Fairly standard stuff. But a decent film.

A study in terror (1965)
I hadn't watched this in a long time. Basically its Sherlock Holmes meets jack the ripper.
Looks great, well acted. Men in big coats following buxom prostitutes down foggy alleyways.
"Allo guvnor. Looking for a good time?" The flash of a knife, A scream. Bright red blood.
Fairly standard stuff. But a decent film.
does exactly what it says on the tin
1664450351468.png

So far this weekend,
Videoman. Sad drama about two alcoholics who meet and their existence in the world, with a secondary plot being that the guy has a pristine vhs collection in a basement, but thinks a mysterious Internet buyer might be trying to kill him for a rare Giallo tape.

8.5 hours. Irish drama, from 2007 about a bunch of desperate/ deeply unhappy it workers. Horrible characters.

The Platform. A table of food descents through a prison, with people in top cells getting the most and those at the bottom, nothing. There's a lot of philosophy in the tail, some of which gets a tad lost, as the story is Basque, but dubbed into English.

The Platform was great. I like the sound of Videoman and the other one might check them out later.

We watched half of Vesper.. its a bit slow...BUT it is amazingly well made and fantastically bleak ..and has the brilliant Eddie Marsden in it..so I will watch the rest later.

Tropic Thumder .. I didnt see it when it was out ..absolutely great craic

Moonage Daydream. (cinema)

I thought it was pretty amazing, i suspect it might be lost on a tv a bit - they had the sound up in the cinema and it kinda gets intense at times but i in a good way. Like the 1 inch speakers on your tele aren't gonna cut this one.

Amild criticism is that it seems to dwell more in the early career than later career - fans will see ten year jumps

I do think it was excellent though - just if you have the opportunity the big screen and cinema sound are what it's made for.
Did it cover that time he was riding the 15 year old groupie?

Finished Blonde. With this and Spencer the biopic as horror movie is in, baby! Lot of people are PISSED OFF with this movie. I thought it was very good
Joyce Carol Oates is an expert at really getting under your skin, I’m really not surprised people are pissed off as it probably is making them very uncomfortable in ways that are hard to deal with (haven’t seen Blonde yet nor have I read the book but based on the half dozen or so books I’ve read by her). Also, I met her once and she’s sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back