What movie did you watch last night? (9 Viewers)

Wild2014Poster.jpg

Wild (2014)

Decent.

Nosferatu The Vampyre - 1979

Watched Werner Herzog's vampire horror last night. A lot of the time, very gripping. Occasionally macabre in the extreme. Very beautiful to watch. However, not a perfect film IMO, due to a few ridiculous bits that threw my attention under the bus. E.g. Dracula carrying his own coffins off the boat during the night (in a town where for some reason absolutely nobody is hanging around at night).

One thing that was incredible was that it was really hard to tell if this film was dubbed or not. I'm assuming it was. Towards the end there were certainly dubbed parts. However, for most of the film the voice actors did an incredible job of syncing the dialog with the screen. But it kept you guessing.

Another thing that really got me was that I must have watched this on the tv as a youngish child with my family, because there were certain bits that really jogged my memory (guy escaping castle on rope made of sheets, lunatic being put in a straight jacket, sailor captain tying himself to the ship's wheel, even a conversation I had with my dad about the dubbing). No way I'd put this on for my <=12 year old kids. In them days it was watch the film together or turn the tv off.

Monsta monsta!

Watched Werner Herzog's vampire horror last night. A lot of the time, very gripping. Occasionally macabre in the extreme. Very beautiful to watch. However, not a perfect film IMO, due to a few ridiculous bits that threw my attention under the bus. E.g. Dracula carrying his own coffins off the boat during the night (in a town where for some reason absolutely nobody is hanging around at night).

One thing that was incredible was that it was really hard to tell if this film was dubbed or not. I'm assuming it was. Towards the end there were certainly dubbed parts. However, for most of the film the voice actors did an incredible job of syncing the dialog with the screen. But it kept you guessing.

Another thing that really got me was that I must have watched this on the tv as a youngish child with my family, because there were certain bits that really jogged my memory (guy escaping castle on rope made of sheets, lunatic being put in a straight jacket, sailor captain tying himself to the ship's wheel, even a conversation I had with my dad about the dubbing). No way I'd put this on for my <=12 year old kids. In them days it was watch the film together or turn the tv off.

Monsta monsta!
Probably one of the best soundtracks of any film. I’m going to listen to it today.

Oh and also the ultra bleak ending…

The Lost Daughter is a good movie, the acting by our own Jessie Buckley Is great and Olivia Coleman is brilliant as usual . The film follows a lone holidaymaker whose past comes back to haunt her.

Monsta monsta!
Its not totally dubbed ...They made two versions!

Its one of my favourite movies

The Lost Daughter is a good movie, the acting by our own Jessie Buckley Is great and Olivia Coleman is brilliant as usual . The film follows a lone holidaymaker whose past comes back to haunt her.
I sort of want to see that, but I don't want to see another film where Olivia Coleman just plays the same character basically, does she just play the same shit, slightly posh middle-classer?

kokon

very sweet lovely movie, coming-of-age type of story. slow and meditative. worth a go. it’s on vimeo on-demand with subtitles.

also, quasi-spoiler and question:

the movie begins in 4:3 ratio, and in a crucial scene, it slowly expands to be in 16:9, as a cinematic metaphor for the development of the main character. the rest of the movie is then in 16:9. it’s really beautifully done. does anyone know any other movie where this kind of thing is used? was this a deliberate homage by the director? if so, to who? it can’t be the first movie to have done this, right?

kokon

very sweet lovely movie, coming-of-age type of story. slow and meditative. worth a go. it’s on vimeo on-demand with subtitles.

the movie begins in 4:3 ratio, and in a crucial scene, it slowly expands to be in 16:9, as a cinematic metaphor for the development of the main character. the rest of the movie is then in 16:9. it’s really beautifully done. does anyone know any other movie where this kind of thing is used? was this a deliberate homage by the director? if so, to who? it can’t be the first movie to have done this, right?
500 Days of Summer? (Go to 1:26 in this video to see the change in ratio discussed)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

500 Days of Summer? (Go to 1:26 in this video to see the change in ratio discussed)

yep, that style of thing, for sure — I had just never seen it done before as a fade. or at least I don’t think I had. normally it’s switched via a cut or scene change. thanks for the video though!

I'm a big a-ha fan so I enjoyed this. As usual with these things the first half is the best, the early years get the most attention and then they start skimming over stuff.

Threads is in the public domain, and available here

kokon

That last two wes andersons do

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Not much to say about this one. Brilliant and hilarious. Stanley Kubrick

it was that or threads and i just can't ever make it past about the half way mark of threads. also, i did watch most of the main kubrick films last year but for some reason didn't watch dr strangelove

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back