What movie did you watch last night? (17 Viewers)

it was first released in 1994... was is still a ā€œusableā€ song in 2004, when this movie came out? or: when did the song tip over into unrescuable cringe? what year did hallelujah die?

I kinda think it was in lull around then? I think it was a few years later i heard bar singers doing buckley's take, maybe around 2009?

one point on it, though ā€” and I donā€™t think it really counts as a spoiler. the movie has a moment of emotional resolution accompanied by... yes indeed, jeff buckley singing hallelujah. that was the moment when the whole thing went from mediocre-ok to mediocre-bad.

but I watched it with a couple of friends and we were talking afterwards about when, exactly, that song became cheesy. part of the problem is that the song *is* actually amazing, itā€™s just been killed through over-use, and terrible covers, and a sort of emotional genericisation.

it was first released in 1994... was is still a ā€œusableā€ song in 2004, when this movie came out? or: when did the song tip over into unrescuable cringe? what year did hallelujah die?

It seemed a bit much whenever Rufus Wainwright's version of it was in one of the Shreks.

I think the point it became sort of unsalvagable was the X-Factor year.

I kinda think it was in lull around then? I think it was a few years later i heard bar singers doing buckley's take, maybe around 2009?

Maybe a little earlier. Basically people (mostly girls) about my age started listened to music in their emotional early teens, became besotted with young Buckley and his story. And then a few years later when they're of drinking age and enjoy the sentimentality, and also and become consumers to be exploited, then it became unsalvageable. About 2003. Obvs it took a few years for Hollywood producers and Simon Cowell to catch up and a way to make money out of it.

They played it in Whelans one typical Whelans Saturday night, about 2005. Everyone was respectful of the, some still reverential. Except for three of the regulars in corner roaring the chorus as:
"I'm a dead cunt
I'm a dead cunt
I'm a dead cunt,
I'm a deaaaaa-heaaaaad Cunt"

So maybe a few days before that.

MAGIC OF THE UNIVERSE (1986)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fiiipino adventure fantasy kids film I was recommended a while back.
lots of cool looking baddies, great special effects, awesome band at the party @ 44:15, loads of very cool weird synth music, eating brains, some cool duel/fight scenes, some magic and an evil witch who says ''ahaahaahaaahaaaahaaahaaa'' a lot.
i also found a few other similar films e.g. The Ninja Kids and The Samurai Sword, Batang Z.

Just finished Chopping mall. That was really funny. Everything you want from a mid 80's film. Bad acting, those digital special effects, practical bloody effects, and Barbara Crampton.

The Power Of The Dog. An utterly overrated hype-train that isn't a bad film but probably shouldn't win any oscars.

Best Picture - Nope, not even close
Best Actor - Cucumber is good in this but it's not really anything special? Maybe depends what he's up against though in fairness, it is a good performance.
Best Supporting Actor - What? Meth Damon literally just playing the same fucking character he's been playing for the last 8 years?? Unless it's the kid, I mean he was pretty good.
Best Cinematography - I mean I'd be okay with this really, it's nicely shot in great locations
Best Director - Na. It's not bad or anything, but like are loads of close-up slow shots of nature and shit not a bit fucking old hat by now?
Best Production Design - What, over The French Dispatch? Fuck off.
Best Supporting Actress - Is this for Dunst? She was good in it. Not as good as Balfe in Belfast, and sure she's not even nominated.
Best Adapted Screenplay - It's pretty good, depends what it's up against.
Best Film Editing - Na, I'm certain there's better examples from the last year.
Best Original Score - Ah fuck off, maybe 13 years ago. Tell ya what was better actually, the score for Parallel Mothers.
Best Sound - I wasn't noticeably impressed by it, but that also means I didn't notice anything particularly amiss. Actually scrap that, there's a bit where Dunst is in an alley and Cucumber is whistling and there's loads of reverb on the whistle and I was like "Where the fuck would they get that kind of echo from there?"

In conclusion, this film is pretty good but nothing special and just completely overhyped to fuck.

The Power Of The Dog. An utterly overrated hype-train that isn't a bad film but probably shouldn't win any oscars.

Best Picture - Nope, not even close
Best Actor - Cucumber is good in this but it's not really anything special? Maybe depends what he's up against though in fairness, it is a good performance.
Best Supporting Actor - What? Meth Damon literally just playing the same fucking character he's been playing for the last 8 years?? Unless it's the kid, I mean he was pretty good.
Best Cinematography - I mean I'd be okay with this really, it's nicely shot in great locations
Best Director - Na. It's not bad or anything, but like are loads of close-up slow shots of nature and shit not a bit fucking old hat by now?
Best Production Design - What, over The French Dispatch? Fuck off.
Best Supporting Actress - Is this for Dunst? She was good in it. Not as good as Balfe in Belfast, and sure she's not even nominated.
Best Adapted Screenplay - It's pretty good, depends what it's up against.
Best Film Editing - Na, I'm certain there's better examples from the last year.
Best Original Score - Ah fuck off, maybe 13 years ago. Tell ya what was better actually, the score for Parallel Mothers.
Best Sound - I wasn't noticeably impressed by it, but that also means I didn't notice anything particularly amiss. Actually scrap that, there's a bit where Dunst is in an alley and Cucumber is whistling and there's loads of reverb on the whistle and I was like "Where the fuck would they get that kind of echo from there?"

In conclusion, this film is pretty good but nothing special and just completely overhyped to fuck.
after MOTD tonight, The Program (2015) based on David Walsh's book on Lance Armstrong came on BBC. I never saw it before but thought - WTF let's waste 90 minutes.
when I watched the trailer for The Power Of The Dog afterwards the guy who played George Burbank (Jesse Plemons) was Floyd Landis from The Program.

the Program was a fairly straight telling of the Lance story. absolutely nothing new if you were familiar with pro cycling. the racing scenes were done well.
Servais Knaven, Thomas Dekker, Andreas Klier, Joan Horrach and other pros were extras in those scenes.

Hincapie and Jan Ullrich - were they even mentioned?
also when Bruyneel chats to Lance in 1994 before a race, he's already way too heavy to be a bike rider.
also at one stage the USP team are sitting having coffee and a white guy is addressed as ''Tony'', the only Tony with the team was Antonio Cruz a Latino guy who looks nothing like the actor.
I love continuity errors.

EDIT:
the movie was too generous in it's depiction of Lance. he starts off as an ambitious upstart who become the arch establishment dictator. in reality Lance is sociopathic and he was always a horrible person with little empathy. he would have hurt people regardless of what path his life took.
unfortunately the world often rewards people like that

Last edited:
Herself .. Clare Dunne (who should be in the horn thread) is great in this tearfest. Not a perfect movie but very good.
45 Years ..very watchable . Charloote Rampling and Tom Courtney.

Stardust Memories.. More Rampling but back in 79 with Woody Allen. Not great but a few good laughs

The Story of Adele H

sounds awful. actually pretty good. a drama about the daughter of exiled victor hugo and her unrequited love for an english lieutenant, where she follows him to canada, stalks him, tries to manipulate him into marrying her, and eventually goes crazy and crashes hard in barbados, needing to be rescued. it's not the sort of subject matter i'd normally be drawn to... but it was good enough that i was compelled to watch it straight through. supposedly a true story. it was well made and didn't have any kind of soppy ending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ƘXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loadingā€¦
Back