What movie did you watch last night? (18 Viewers)

IFI are staying at 60% capacity for the moment. I saw Dune in the Lighthouse last night, back to full capacity there but you can prebook your seats now so you can be pretty strategic. If you leave a single empty seat between you and next person it's less likely to get booked. Plus the chairs are comfortable.

Both have a sensible crowd anyway, you won't be shushing anyone. Although my god there were some weak-bladdered men at Dune last night. Know yourselves! If beer makes you pee after an hour, don't buy a beer to go with your three hour movie!
Excellent

Thanks a million

Lighthouse has the comfier seats is all. I'd probably favour IFI with the 60% capacity right now I guess.
Depends what you like, the bigger screen in the IFI suffers a bit from 'looking up for the whole film' syndrome, especially if you're not in middle-back of it.

IFI seats are bloody terrible though in screens 1 & 2. At least they were 5 years ago.
Screen 1 has new seats that are quite comfy now, they refurbed it a bit about a year before covid hit, people paid to get their names on the seats and shit. Lighthouse seats are still comfier though.
Screen 2 still has the same old seats, but I really like the seat layout in that screen assuming it's not full. When I'm there it's usually only like half-full max cause it's usually the middle of the afternoon on a weekday.

Edit: Actually in Cineworld Parnell Street, they installed new seats on a bunch of the screens, and the new seats are fuckin class. But only about half the screens have them.

So far, Candycorn. Old 70's style slasher. Nothing ground breaking, but it did the trick .
Then The night eats the world. Parisian Zombie film. Very good.
Now. just about to start The McPherson tape. Which is a found footage/ alien abduction film from late 80's

Hawk the slayer
On the horror channel.
Fairly tedious swords & sorcery film from 1980. I knew the name of it but hadn't seen it.
It's basically Robin of Sherwood with some extra magic thrown in. It does have a cool kitschy soundtrack that sounds like a Eurovision version of Goblin.

Hawk the slayer
On the horror channel.
Fairly tedious swords & sorcery film from 1980. I knew the name of it but hadn't seen it.
It's basically Robin of Sherwood with some extra magic thrown in. It does have a cool kitschy soundtrack that sounds like a Eurovision version of Goblin.
I loved this as a kid and was very disappointed when I rewatched it years later. The elf is still cool though.

I went to an actual cinema to see The Last Duel, added personal interest because I was with my brother who appears in a few scenes. It's long, but enjoyable. It's a shame that it has bombed so badly at the box office.

I watched that VU documentary, it's a typical talking heads with archive footage thing, nothing exceptional, but as a fan of the band I enjoyed it. I want to listen to the first couple of albums asap. I don't like Sweet Jane.

Dune Pt 1 - I'm quite impressed, it looks and sounds great, and I think they've done a good job in making the plot coherent even for people who haven't read the books (my knowledge of it extends as far as a slight familiarity with the 1992 PC game and the Chapo Trap House episode on it, and I was able to follow the story with no bother). The ships and sand worms are properly weird looking and they really convey that vast scale. There's the inherent unsatisfaction with a story split into multiple movies, in that it ends with the real meat of the plot yet to come - you are really depending on the follow up to make this a satisying whole. I have the same mild critique I had of Villeneuve's Blade Runner film, in that the characters can feel like these slightly emotionless archetypes, with this being a Serious Sci Fi Epic there's not a lot of humour or warmth permitted, so it's hard to really engage with your protagonists (though from what I gather of the book I get the sense that the lead characters are not meant to be likeable as such).
Good summary. I didn’t love it I have to confess. Though it sounds amazing, and generally looks great, both the characters and the flow of the movie itself felt very wooden. As it’s a two parter, near the end it felt like they could have cut off at any point but kept adding pointless scenes in there. I’ll go to see part 2, but I without the expectation I had for this one.

Dr jekyll & sister hyde (1971)
Old hammer film. I thought I had it on DVD, but I don't. Only a recorded off TV 20 something years ago version on VHS. I was interested to see the quality of the VHS. Its a bit hazy, but perfectly watchable.
Good film. Well made. good acting. The story mixes Dr jekyll, Burke & Hare and a bit of jack the ripper.
Victorian scientist Ralph Bates drinks a potion & turns into a psychotic Martine Beswick.

I was marvelling at it at one point. Thick and curly and beautifully layered, but Oscar Isaac’s beard is even more impressive, so luxurious
This seems to me, somehow, to be the type of statement that signals the possible end of a civilisation

Like,I imagine some Roman marvelling at the luxuriousness of some other lads beard as I dunno,a dinosaur is wiping them all out

Not a historian

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back