What movie did you watch last night? (13 Viewers)

Went to see Venom in the cinema and there was a gang of youths there that laughed and cheered and audibly reacted all through the whole thing like a bunch of Americans. I thought I was going to hate them but they ended up making the movie, just good-natured enthusiasm throughout.

Went to see Venom in the cinema and there was a gang of youths there that laughed and cheered and audibly reacted all through the whole thing like a bunch of Americans. I thought I was going to hate them but they ended up making the movie, just good-natured enthusiasm throughout.
When I saw The Conjuring in the cinema there was this bunch beside me that were all gasping and then laughing at each other getting scared and shit, it was fuckin class haha.

Today saw Venom 2 - fairly meh stuff again. Venom is one of the only Marvel films/characters that is actually amusing at times, and this film had that but the overall whole is just meeehhhhh. The action sequences are particularly all over the fucking place, it's a bit like watching a bad manga for that stuff.

Then saw The Last Duel - I thought it was pretty good. MeToo of medieval times. Surely Adam Driver has done something dodgy by now that would justify someone fighting him to the death? It's very nicely filmed, typical Ridley Scott.
The only thing that bugs me is that isn't it basically just a remake of Rashomon by Kurasawa? Sure, it's 'based on a true story', but like it's basically just Rashomon. What I find weird is that from anything I've heard or read about the film, nobody seems to have mentioned that rather obvious point as far as I've noticed.

Today saw Venom 2 - fairly meh stuff again. Venom is one of the only Marvel films/characters that is actually amusing at times, and this film had that but the overall whole is just meeehhhhh. The action sequences are particularly all over the fucking place, it's a bit like watching a bad manga for that stuff.

Then saw The Last Duel - I thought it was pretty good. MeToo of medieval times. Surely Adam Driver has done something dodgy by now that would justify someone fighting him to the death? It's very nicely filmed, typical Ridley Scott.
The only thing that bugs me is that isn't it basically just a remake of Rashomon by Kurasawa? Sure, it's 'based on a true story', but like it's basically just Rashomon. What I find weird is that from anything I've heard or read about the film, nobody seems to have mentioned that rather obvious point as far as I've noticed.

Mark Kermode mentions Rashomon more than he mentions the film itself.

Good, glad somebody is on it. I should point out I haven't really heard that much about it, just a few reviews and a bit of talk here and there really. I deliberately didn't look up more cause one of the reviews kinda said it was shit and I actually wanted to give it a chance.

Watched the four hours at the capitol documentary on BBC 2.

There's so much footage. The revolution will not be televised, well it was.

The toxic trump effect . Crazy shit.

I thought I was going to hate them but they ended up making the movie, just good-natured enthusiasm throughout.
My favourite movie-audience-reaction story is my brother going to see LOTR. There was some lad with his top off being fairly audible with his reactions throughout, and then when Cate Blanchett gets all creepy with Frodo yer man starts shouting out "LEAVE HIM ALONE!" and then "LEAVE HIM ALONE, YA DOG!"

My favourite movie-audience-reaction story is my brother going to see LOTR. There was some lad with his top off being fairly audible with his reactions throughout, and then when Cate Blanchett gets all creepy with Frodo yer man starts shouting out "LEAVE HIM ALONE!" and then "LEAVE HIM ALONE, YA DOG!"

Mine was at a die hard screening years ago when Gruber mentioned The New Provo Front and someone gave it a cheer.

Actually, I think I later learned on thumped that the person who cheered was @Cormcolash

We went to see LOTR in the Savoy 1.

Packed out cinema, amazing atmosphere. Got to a bit where Frodo was losing mind and wouldn't let go of the ring....

"RELEASE THE RING, FRODO! RELEASE THE BLEEDIN' RING!!"

up in Dublin for a few days next week. could any of you lot recommend a cinema up there for me? hoping to head to Dune and The French Dispatch next week. Ideally a cinema that won't be rammed with people and specifically annoying teenagers, within reason

up in Dublin for a few days next week. could any of you lot recommend a cinema up there for me? hoping to head to Dune and The French Dispatch next week. Ideally a cinema that won't be rammed with people and specifically annoying teenagers, within reason
Blanch imax seating is well spaced out anyway.

The Lighthouse I suppose. Although it can be busy at times, but teenagers just don't go there.

Yesterday I saw "Sweetie, you won't believe it" as part of the Horrorthon in the IFI.
It's a Kazakh kind of 3 stoogies take on horror, where these three lads out for a fishing trip in the country witness a murder and start getting chased by a one-eyed maniac.
It's pretty good, quite funny so good for a laugh. Lots of slapstick kind of gore, works for me. Entertaining.

Dune Pt 1 - I'm quite impressed, it looks and sounds great, and I think they've done a good job in making the plot coherent even for people who haven't read the books (my knowledge of it extends as far as a slight familiarity with the 1992 PC game and the Chapo Trap House episode on it, and I was able to follow the story with no bother). The ships and sand worms are properly weird looking and they really convey that vast scale. There's the inherent unsatisfaction with a story split into multiple movies, in that it ends with the real meat of the plot yet to come - you are really depending on the follow up to make this a satisying whole. I have the same mild critique I had of Villeneuve's Blade Runner film, in that the characters can feel like these slightly emotionless archetypes, with this being a Serious Sci Fi Epic there's not a lot of humour or warmth permitted, so it's hard to really engage with your protagonists (though from what I gather of the book I get the sense that the lead characters are not meant to be likeable as such).

IFI are staying at 60% capacity for the moment. I saw Dune in the Lighthouse last night, back to full capacity there but you can prebook your seats now so you can be pretty strategic. If you leave a single empty seat between you and next person it's less likely to get booked. Plus the chairs are comfortable.

Both have a sensible crowd anyway, you won't be shushing anyone. Although my god there were some weak-bladdered men at Dune last night. Know yourselves! If beer makes you pee after an hour, don't buy a beer to go with your three hour movie!

Dune Pt 1 - I'm quite impressed, it looks and sounds great, and I think they've done a good job in making the plot coherent even for people who haven't read the books (my knowledge of it extends as far as a slight familiarity with the 1992 PC game and the Chapo Trap House episode on it, and I was able to follow the story with no bother). The ships and sand worms are properly weird looking and they really convey that vast scale. There's the inherent unsatisfaction with a story split into multiple movies, in that it ends with the real meat of the plot yet to come - you are really depending on the follow up to make this a satisying whole. I have the same mild critique I had of Villeneuve's Blade Runner film, in that the characters can feel like these slightly emotionless archetypes, with this being a Serious Sci Fi Epic there's not a lot of humour or warmth permitted, so it's hard to really engage with your protagonists (though from what I gather of the book I get the sense that the lead characters are not meant to be likeable as such).
Yeah the characters in the book are very much mostly cold and humourless anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back