What movie did you watch last night? (14 Viewers)

Okay first two had that for the most part, third one was definitely ropey at times though, but all 3 still far better than any of the shite that followed. Also 'great direction ideas', dunno about that, surely must have been more along the lines of 'great producers that were able to shut down the director and just stick to the plan when he came out with total shit'. Lucas should have been banned from ever touching it again ha.
Well, actually I don't know how much influence Lucas had or didn't have after the first one beyond the writing. Actally, didn't his old teacher direct the second one?

Anyway. Who cares. Light sabres. DRRNNNN

X wings peoo peeoo

Dogma.

Aged pretty well really. Jay is such a little shit, i got a few lols out of him.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i had a day off last week and with youtube constantly throwing john lydon at me (i don't know why) i ended up watching copkiller aka the order of death, a thriller from 1982. in summary, it was ok enough to keep me watching for the duration. harvey keitel carried the movie, really. john lydon was natural and believable enough but was really just playing himself, so it was difficult not to see john lydon all the time. the premise is a bit unbelievable - a deranged loner with a guilt complex stalks a ny detective on the trail of a cop killer, ultimately taking over his life. the plot twist is predictable enough and the ending was poor, but there were certainly good bits. was fascinating/amusing to see harvey get so physically violent with john lydon, choking him, slapping him, throwing him around, etc.

l.a. confidential. probably 15 or 20 years since i saw it. it's a good'un, seemed a little stilted at first though. worst thing about it is the senior cop's irish accent.

We're through the dodgy and painful to watch 40s of Disney stuff and onto Cinderella. Saw this one a lot as a kid, pretty good! I suspect the animation itself hit it's high point circa Snow White, Pinocchio and Fantasia but it's not a bad version at all. I like how they keep the actual formal story bare bones and just throw a load of wacky stuff around it for laughs.

Also watched Election from 1999. Hadn't seen it since I was about 16. Still the best film ever. My favourite kind of film where absolutely everyone is completely hateful. I'm now the same age as Matthew Broderick is in it :(

rewatched Point Break entirely because i saw this clip

It's an interesting movie. Its about testosterone directed by a woman. Swayze apparently did most of his own stunts, reeves learned to surf for it and lori petty had never been in the sea before it. John C McGinley is great fun as is gary busey, both of them chewing whatever scenery is available.

gonna watch this crap now

i had a day off last week and with youtube constantly throwing john lydon at me (i don't know why) i ended up watching copkiller aka the order of death, a thriller from 1982. in summary, it was ok enough to keep me watching for the duration. harvey keitel carried the movie, really. john lydon was natural and believable enough but was really just playing himself, so it was difficult not to see john lydon all the time. the premise is a bit unbelievable - a deranged loner with a guilt complex stalks a ny detective on the trail of a cop killer, ultimately taking over his life. the plot twist is predictable enough and the ending was poor, but there were certainly good bits. was fascinating/amusing to see harvey get so physically violent with john lydon, choking him, slapping him, throwing him around, etc.

Sounds good. Gonna get my buddy to try and download this. Keitel's wilderness years, but he still popped up in Bad Timing. One user on imdb says it should appeal to fans of Abel Ferrara. Sweet.

Eh, seeing as I'm in here. Watched 'The Company You Keep' on bbc2 on Sunday. Pretty lame stuff from Robert Redford but passable when you're jack-tired and you just want a handy pre-bed watch. Definitely could make a better film with the material at hand. Pre-postmodern spectacle Shia LaBeouf is actually well-cast as a cocky, cheeky-chappy newspaper man.

The night before stuck on Last Resort. One of two interesting performances from Paddy Considine in subtle indie fare from that time. He suits this sort of Brit verite stuff quite well - convincingly ordinary with implied underlying problems.

Watched Career Girls... under-rated Mike Leigh film with the amazing Katrin Cartlidge. Almost like a feel-good film from him with some intense moments and the usual grotesque characterisation.

Few weeks back - Look Back in Anger on bbc2. Class performance from Richard Burton, but directed with characteristic feebleness from Tony Richardson. And speaking of feeble talents, The Bling Ring was on the following night. Sofia Coppola is like the inverse of Alan Clarke or Harmony Korine - employs their flat, verite style but to no cause. Utterly empty film-making. Coppola is a rancid film-maker.

>Watched Career Girls... under-rated Mike Leigh film with the amazing Katrin Cartlidge. Almost like a feel-good film from him with some intense moments and the usual grotesque characterisation.

i watched that a couple of months ago - i really liked it too. i found the awkward, quirky characterisations comical (that scene in the pub especially). but yeah... sad/intense bits too. katrin cartlidge was an amazing talent alright - shocking that she died so young.

The Visitor from 2007. Watchable TV style movie. Bit of a snooze fest tbh

> katrin cartlidge was an amazing talent alright - shocking that she died so young.

Absolutely. Might break out Claire Dolan again soon. Grim viewing, but very soberly done. Colm* Meaney is effectively cast as an ultra-nasty - but convincingly so - piece of shit.

Just checked there. Brookside was her break. She was in 51 episodes in the 80s...

Also, I watched In Fabric in the midst of all that above ^ that some kind soul had taped off bbc2 and didn't delete. Felt the first part was really compelling with that actor from some Mike Leigh stuff, Marianne Jean-Baptiste. Lost me when it turned into a truncated anthology piece or diptych [no that's not right, but a two-part thing which feels like a nod to interlinked horror anthology segments]. The second part was like a sketch from the Armando Iannucci Shows that overstayed its welcome. Also all the interstitial giallo pastiche parts I found increasingly tiresome but admittedly were integral to whatever he was tipping his nod to. Ultimately: Good if you like tonal and genre variety, but no more than the sum of its parts. Still no denying Strickland has a lot of nous, panache and ideas as a film-maker.

Last edited:
Also about halfway through Attack of the Clones but my daughter thinks it’s boring. She’s not wrong.
Finished this last night. At 8 and a half hours, it only feels like it’s 15 years long.

Deadpool 2: I thought this was better than the first one. The first half was properly funny as opposed to usual cheesy one liners that Roger Moore would be ashamed of that the other Marvel movies seem to churn out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back