What movie did you watch last night? (12 Viewers)

We watched all of the extended Lord of the Rings movies over the past couple of weeks. Still amazing.

On to the Star Wars movies now and man is The Phantom Menace a pile of shit or wha? Unprompted, the 5 year old has expressed a sincere and deep hatred of Jar Jar Binks.

Only good things in the Phantom Menace are the pod-race and Darth Maul. Darth Maul could actually probably have saved that entire trilogy if Lucas had let him escape and be the bad guy, but no such luck.
In fairness pretty much all Star Wars is ropey as fuck aside from the good battles, could be just that the original trilogy had far better battles than the others. No CGI and all that.

watched 'x:men days of future past' last night.
apparently the director put some explanation together to justify the time travel part in terms of string theory or some shit. don't explain it, they just managed to go back in time. it's a sci fi fantasy movie for god's sake.

Only good things in the Phantom Menace are the pod-race and Darth Maul. Darth Maul could actually probably have saved that entire trilogy if Lucas had let him escape and be the bad guy, but no such luck.
In fairness pretty much all Star Wars is ropey as fuck aside from the good battles, could be just that the original trilogy had far better battles than the others. No CGI and all that.

Man CGI is getting boring. I half read some thing last week about how most of the avengers movies are 'filmed' before the actors ever show up. Couple of days mocap and greenscreening and off they go. I wonder how it'll look in a few years. I mean original star trek holds kinda because they always had one foot in live theatre and the dramatics still stand, it was just a stage set to them. The new stuff it just all might look a bit flash gordon down the line. Still think thor ragnarok nailed that - the costumes are stupid, lets have fun vibe. The ones that are 'serious' though. Jesus.

I wonder how it'll look in a few years.
there's one of them - the first one maybe - where the footage looked dated even a few years ago. the one where a load of space turds came out of the sky above new york i think. there's a bit of an uncanny valley effect with the backgrounds.

We watched all of the extended Lord of the Rings movies over the past couple of weeks. Still amazing.

On to the Star Wars movies now and man is The Phantom Menace a pile of shit or wha? Unprompted, the 5 year old has expressed a sincere and deep hatred of Jar Jar Binks.
having outright rejected all the prequels when they came out and ever since (tbf, i'm was never a huge star wars fan to begin with), i watched them all last year with the kids. have to say, i really enjoyed them. apart from jar jar binks of course (what a puuuurrrrickkk). they're different from the other star wars films, less about action, more sci-fi. this is probably all very old news for most people, but in any case, i was very surprised at how much i got into them. but, caveat that i had very low expectations and all that...

Ex Machina kind of a sci-fi thriller which is not to far from our own present day technology. An office worker is called to visit his bosses reclusive home to study an artificial intelligence he created. I liked it.

Rewatched this this morning because someone had it up on youtube and i wasn't going back to sleep for anything.

Oscar Isaac is great at acting as someone who is terrifying but friendly. As you say the technology is more or less in reach, it's a like a very close to reality horror type thing.

Will probably do a third watch in a few years.

Started on the new adam curtis thing last night. I'm at the end of part one, i'm mostly slightly disorientated so far. few hours to go though.

I watched "Hard Times" starring Charles Bronson and James Coburn. It's class. No-nonsense don't give a fuck film set in the great depression, where Bronson is a drifter who gets into pit fighting, with Coburn acting as his manager.
What's great about this film is that it's really simple and straightforward, but there's loads of great shots and camerawork that take advantage of the simplicity. And it does a pretty good job on making the whole thing seem depression era with what really looks like a fairly low-budget film.
It's not quite Bronson at his best, I reckon that has to be "Once upon a time in the West", but it's definitely a classic Bronson character, say fuck all and look tough. He's ripped as fuck in the film too, even though he's clearly getting on a bit. I'd say working out with Charles Bronson would wreck ya.

Saint Francis. ..American woman has an abortion and then menstruates for 6 months . Ok

Boy Erased ..TV movie about religious torture of gay dudes in America . Shite

Candyman again. It gets better with every watch. Still haven’t seen the sequel/remake/whatever it is.

Also about halfway through Attack of the Clones but my daughter thinks it’s boring. She’s not wrong.

The original trilogy had romantic tension, true relatability on numerous levels, archetypal characters, great humour, great sci fi worldbuilding. And that was just the writing. It also had great acting (E.g., no performance since has come close to Alec Guinness's), good casting choices, brilliant music, great direction ideas. Lots going for it that no sequel or prequel has ...equalled. (Am I actually getting into a Star Wars argument on the internet?)

The original trilogy had romantic tension, true relatability on numerous levels, archetypal characters, great humour, great sci fi worldbuilding. And that was just the writing. It also had great acting (E.g., no performance since has come close to Alec Guinness's), good casting choices, brilliant music, great direction ideas. Lots going for it that no sequel or prequel has ...equalled. (Am I actually getting into a Star Wars argument on the internet?)
Okay first two had that for the most part, third one was definitely ropey at times though, but all 3 still far better than any of the shite that followed. Also 'great direction ideas', dunno about that, surely must have been more along the lines of 'great producers that were able to shut down the director and just stick to the plan when he came out with total shit'. Lucas should have been banned from ever touching it again ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back