What movie did you watch last night? (12 Viewers)

I've never read the book either but skimmed the wiki after the movie to see what differences there might be between it and film. But the looks of it there was plenty in the book that might have taken 40 pages that was skimmed over in 5 seconds of overdubbed exposition. Always the same with book adaptations but it messed up the pacing of the film a bit I think, and it was over 2 hours anyway.
Fun fact: There is a novelisation of Bram Stoker’s Dracula that’s not by Bram Stoker. Because that’s what the world needed, Fred Saberhagen’s Bram Stoker’s Dracula.

Phantasm

Possibly the greatest scene in any film ever

"We're hot as love..you know.."

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Bless

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Finally got around to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.. I enjoyed all the constituent parts but it felt like 2 separate movies somewhat awkwardly dovetailed together, The DiCaprio / Pitt bro relationship character study was nicely done and it's clear Tarantino loves wallowing in the ambience/detail of that era but the join with the Manson family / Sharon Tate stuff felt forced, I didn't see what the point was of the zany alternate history ending. Apparently there is a 4 hour version that will eventually be released, I wonder would it be better suited to a TV miniseries or something.

In the last week...

Bram Stoker's Dracula. Love the OTT-ness and brilliant production design of this.

Mimic. Underrated creature feature from Guillermo Del Toro.

A Filed in England. Slight, kind of annoying, but ultimately decent enough folk horror.

Christine. The one about the journalist in the 70s, not the killer car one. Thematically similar to Nightcrawler and Joker (media glorification of violence, mental illness, suicide etc) but a better film than both of them.

I also got 20 minutes into The Other Lamb before I had to turn it off. Hackneyed and badly acted.

World War Z. Haven't actually watched a movie I hadn't seen before in ages. It's good craic, just what I needed. Yes it is a about a global pandemic, but that doesn't usually bother me.

Trying to watch Wonder Wheel at the moment, Jesus it is bad.

Watched Into the Spider Verse the other night with the fam. Not a fan of the dimensions element of the thing but it is totally class.

Calibre ..netflix yoke about two lads who get into a bit of bother on a hunting trip in the highlands . watchable

The Nightingale .. harrowing ozploitation revenge thriller. Quality

Scarface .. still good!

Shrek 2 . I made them put on Scarface after 20 mins

Wolfwalkers

Very good! If I was hyper critical i'd say the ending was a bit of a Tarantino reimagining of how colonialism went in Ireland, and there's a dodgy new-agey scando pop song in the middle but yeah, that aside, gorgeous to look at and great to see historical and mythical Ireland on the screen in a way beyond the usual Leap Year shite.

Last edited:
Released 25 years ago today. I didn't realise this when I re-watched it last night.

GoldenEye_-_UK_cinema_poster.jpg

My fondest memories of it is one of the only computer games I was any good at; Goldeneye on the N64.

The film is much more cartoony than I remember with lots of silly Roger Moore-esque quips and double takes, but it's almost perfectly "Bond". A movie for vegging out while doing something else on your phone.

Released 25 years ago today. I didn't realise this when I re-watched it last night.

GoldenEye_-_UK_cinema_poster.jpg

My fondest memories of it is one of the only computer games I was any good at; Goldeneye on the N64.

The film is much more cartoony than I remember with lots of silly Roger Moore-esque quips and double takes, but it's almost perfectly "Bond". A movie for vegging out while doing something else on your phone.

One of hte best Bond films IMHO, didn't much care for the subsequent Brosnan Bonds.

last night I watched:
Ravage. Meh 3/10. You know the story by now, protagonist is out in rural Southern America, sees something she shouldn't (a murder) and is pursued by local rednecks. Turns out she's really good ambushes and creative kills.

Bleed4me. Switched it off before it was over. Awful. Idea is the devil and it's minions is trying to return to earth and thre's a demon killer trying to stop this by going after the woman who's body the devil is going to take over. Don't bother/10

Final destination. Pretty good, bit dated in parts though. 6/10

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back