What movie did you watch last night? (13 Viewers)

Mission Impossible Fallout was on last night, actually a really good action film that is just 45 minutes too long is all. First hour and a half or so are great, ridiculous of course, but usually manages to get just the right amount of silly without overdoing it. Henry Cavill is actually class in this, nails it. And the scene where him and Cruise get their shite kicked in by the asian lad is a really great fight scene (even if in real life one full on hit from someone the comparative size of Cavill would almost always be the end of that fight)

Mission Impossible Fallout was on last night, actually a really good action film that is just 45 minutes too long is all. First hour and a half or so are great, ridiculous of course, but usually manages to get just the right amount of silly without overdoing it. Henry Cavill is actually class in this, nails it. And the scene where him and Cruise get their shite kicked in by the asian lad is a really great fight scene (even if in real life one full on hit from someone the comparative size of Cavill would almost always be the end of that fight)
We watched a bit of it and it was fun. I’d give it a go again from the beginning.

Haven't seen the Innocents in years but I remember thinking it was brilliant and really effective at the time. The follow up to the Haunting of Hill House, the Haunting of Bly Manor is based on the same story
Is that any good? Reading very mixed reviews

Only 2 episodes in. Some things are a bit silly about it. It's meant to be set in London in the 1980s but looks more like it's set back in the 1950s based on the cars they're driving and the sets and all that. Also, so far it's not particularly scary.
Let’s face it, after The Innocents there is no point trying to do a screen adaptation of The Turn of the Screw. The BBC one from a little while ago was absolutely dreadful (or dread-less, hoho!). It requires too much restraint and trusting your audience to revel in ambiguity. These big production series can’t do that.

The creature from the back lagoon (1954) on the horror channel.
I had seen clips of this over the years but had never watched the full film. I always thought it was some crappy 50's B movie, but it's actually very well made. It has some very impressive underwater sequences, decent acting & a big bombastic soundtrack.

Adaptation is on netflix now so we watched it for the first time since 2002 over the weekend. I must have been very dumb when I was 22
Oh no! I haven't seen it since I was about 20 or 21 myself. It's no good so?

Oh no! I haven't seen it since I was about 20 or 21 myself. It's no good so?

Sorry, I thought it was still good, I meant I probably got more out of it this time having a bit more of a point of reference and understanding of the whole self-doubting middle aged man thing, and I got what was going on with the fake brother device better.

Actually, without deliberately doing it in the last 12 months I've rewatched a lot of the Charlie Kaufman stuff from around then and it was only "Eternal Spotlight ..." that I think hasn't aged all that well, the whole MPDG thing.

I remember hearing they had cast Nicolas Cage in Adaptation & thinking oh no he's going to ruin another film. But he's very good in it. Spike Jonze reigned him in.

Sorry, I thought it was still good, I meant I probably got more out of it this time having a bit more of a point of reference and understanding of the whole self-doubting middle aged man thing, and I got what was going on with the fake brother device better.

Actually, without deliberately doing it in the last 12 months I've rewatched a lot of the Charlie Kaufman stuff from around then and it was only "Eternal Spotlight ..." that I think hasn't aged all that well, the whole MPDG thing.
Saw Eternal Sunshine in the cinema and have always said it's just Total Recall for people that are no craic, I STAND BY THAT TO THIS DAY

Being without reliable internets, I watched:
Watchmen, not the best movie ever made, but well worth a rewatch
No country For Old Men, again, worth a rewatch
And I started re-watching There Will be Blood. Me and a musician friend have a running feud about the score. I like Radiohead, he doesn't. Now it seems to me the score has taken over the whole thing.

I watched the 1989 TV adaption of The Woman in Black again. Properly creepy movie and I admit a shiver went down me again at the scene where she appears looming over him.

I watched the 1989 TV adaption of The Woman in Black again. Properly creepy movie and I admit a shiver went down me again at the scene where she appears looming over him.
Coincidentally I also watched Quatermass and the Pit yesterday, also written by Nigel Kneale. Might go for The Stone Tape later

I also watched Farenheit 451, which I hadn't seen in decades. So stylish and stylised. When I first watched it I didn't realize that both Julie Christie and Anton Diffring play two different parts each. Julie Christie bizarrely plays "Monatag's" wife and also his mistress, and Anton Diffring is a Fireman and for some reason the school head mistress who we only see briefly as she sticks her head out a window, all bouffant wig and Gary Larson style specs, to see what's going on.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back