What movie did you watch last night? (13 Viewers)

Aliens > Alien

nuke the rest from orbit.
Wrong wrong wrong. Alien is far superior. It’s a masterpiece in tightly controlled horror, plus all the subtext, plus the pioneering lead character, plus the set design, plus the supporting cast, plus the wtf element of it in 1979. Aliens is good but it’s working with a template that was already in place.

I can't watch Alien 3, the terrible FX and the terrible killing everyone from Aliens. Fuck em, i'll take the prequels but it ends at Aliens.

Watched a bit of As Good AS It Gets on TV last night. Remembered I don't like Jack Nickleson at all. And ad breaks, first ad break we hit, ok time for bed.
The 15 mins of so that it was on was enough to know that the director had a thing for Helen Hunt's breasts.

Spree - "the modern American Psycho"
Some lad who wants to be an 'influencer' all his life and can't handle his success decides the best way to go viral is to go on a killing spree and stream it online. He works for a taxi thing called 'Spree' hence the clever name.
Basically I went to see this in the cinema cause I was bored and it is actually a good laugh. I mean, fairly bollocks film, but it's quite funny and I think it's actually intentional for once. Like it's not hilarious or anything, but it's good for a snigger.
Of course the whole 'theme' of the film is the alienating effect of social media on young people nowadays, etc etc, and like that's fair enough, but this has essentially been done before already and done better too. The film Nerve a bunch of years back is similar, and the king of these kind of films is still Ingrid Goes West, which was actually a class film.
Spree is filmed/shown mostly using the same kind of idea as those "Unfriend" films (which I think are unintentionally funny, definitely bollocks), in that what is shown on screen is essentially all from the perspective of phone cameras/dash cams/social media screens etc etc. This gets a bit grating at times, but it does keep up this constant commentary from people 'watching' the stream, and some of the comments are quite funny too.
Overall bollocks of course, but fairly entertaining. It works better as a film than Russel Crowe's Unhinged, despite the fact that the acting is worse. Not much worse though, just a bit.
Oh and one of the plus points here is that they just kept it to about 90 minutes, which really was the right amount to do what they wanted to do, kudos to that.

The Gentlemen. Didn't hate it. The plot was silly and convoluted and there was a bit of a homophobic vibe off it but it was funny enough. Colin Farrell could literally only do the fake Dublin hard lad act for the rest of his career and I'd get a kick out it every time.

John Wick 1.

A computer game that you don't have to play.

This could go in the "You know you're getting old" thread, as I was half watching it I'd look at my phone, then I'd hear gunshots or a car crash and be just "meh, I'm reading about pasta on The Guardian website".

Apologies to all the excellent stunt people and choreographers involved.

Wasn't arsed with John Wick at all.

Watched Halloween 3 on Friday night. Did i already post this? I've mostly been drunk since then. Anyway it's topper.

the inventor: out for blood in silicone valley.

Think someone here might have recommended it? Anywhoo interesting window into silicon valley culture. good story.

Watched Upgrade on Netflix. It was really good, I thought, and can't believe it was made for so little money (according to Wikipedia anyway the budget was $3m). Cool idea, and really well executed.

Couldn't watch the second half of Spring Breakers, herself said she couldn't sleep for worrying about what the James Franko character was about to do to the girls.

81s48B26XNL._SL1500_.jpg

Absolute shite.

So shit it made me angry.

And I'm angry again thinking about it.

Shite

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back