What movie did you watch last night? (8 Viewers)

Upgrade (2018)

I'd put this one off because I heard it was shite, but it was actually very enjoyable. Also, Tom Hardy has a clone now?

The Invitation (2015) - usually this kind of film is completely shite, but this actually has some good performances despite how stupid the circumstances of the story become. Once you accept that "they behave like that because otherwise the film would be over" it's not bad for what it is. Yer man "I can't believe it's not Tom Hardy" was in this one again, by coincidence. He was the best thing about it and I may not have got to the end but for him.
Liked both of them. Just solid genre movies.

This one (the Karl Urban one) or Judge Dredd (the Stallone one)? This one is everything I’d hope for from a Dredd movie, gets better every time I watch it. Think I might go back and re-read all my Complete Case Files again.
Ah, ok I get you now. Yeah I was talking the Stallone one. Saw the Karl Urban one too and quite liked it. Thought he would have gotten another. I believe it was a re-write of an Alex Garland script that was set in that real-life turbo tower in South Africa that quickly became overrun with gangs and was a no-go area for police.

Attachments

• 250px-Ponte_City_Apartments_(3464450399).jpg
    250px-Ponte_City_Apartments_(3464450399).jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 4
Rock of ages is on now. It can get fucked. Awful.
Yesterday, The substitute, mid- ninety's action film about a mercenary infiltrating a school over run buy a drug gang. Flawed plot aside, was not that bad.

Ah, ok I get you now. Yeah I was talking the Stallone one. Saw the Karl Urban one too and quite liked it. Thought he would have gotten another. I believe it was a re-write of an Alex Garland script that was set in that real-life turbo tower in South Africa that quickly became overrun with gangs and was a no-go area for police.

Watched the Karl Urban one on a long flight then immediately followed that by watching The Raid. Between them they gave me a phobia of tower blocks.

A mighty wind.

I had seen bits of this over the years but never watched the full thing. I kept thinking, I should like this, but I found it fairly tedious to be honest. The song parodies were good but there was too many self consciously mannered performances.
Yeah, it's nice to spend a bit of time with those actors again, but I thought the entire movie was a build-up to the stupid double-entendre very last line. Required more effort to watch than any of that ensemble's other movies.
I havent watched an entire full-length movie in a year and a half. I watched a short doc called The Speed Cubers on Netflix, a brilliant and really surprising half hour, well worth it.

Velvet Goldmine
Has held up better than I remember and I think it’s a better movie for not being a straight Bowie biopic and instead it’s forced to be something more original. Very 90s despite being set in the 70s/80s, I hadn’t realised that Thom Yorke did a lot of the vocals (along with Placebo, and members of Sonic Youth, Teenage Fanclub, Suede, etc. doing the music). Christian Bale’s “younger version” make up was crap.

Mulan
I hadn’t seen this before and it was pretty good. The kids really loved it, the soundtrack is now blaring from the eldest’s room and she’s asking me to buy her a stick so she can learn to fight.

Loveless. The neglected son of a shitty, self absorbed couple goes missing in this grim Russian film which falls somewhere between domestic drama, police procedural and Michael Haneke style existential horror. Really great and all but also one of the most miserable films I’ve ever seen.

Last edited:
Loveless. The neglected son of a shitty, self absorbed couple goes missing in this grim Russian film which falls somewhere between domestic drama, police procedural and Michael Haneke style existential horror. Really great and all but also one of the most miserable films I’ve ever seen.

I'm really looking forward to watching this but nevertheless keep putting it off.

Been away for two weeks on family holiday. Brought the laptop/projector so we watched loads of movies. mostly family fare and some old favourites.

Raising Arizona (1987) - is this the best Coen brothers film? I think it might be. Haven't seen it since way back and it's even better than I remembered. Everyone loved it.

The Fog (1980) - were staying by the sea and it started getting foggy one night so it had to be done. Have also not seen this in yonks and again it totally stands up. Want to go on a John Carpenter binge now.

Come Drink With Me (1967) - martial arts wuxia fare. Not as good as The Dragon Inn which we watched the week before but solid nevertheless. Building up to watching Touch Of Zen which is the same director's three hour epic from a few years later.

The Beach (2000) - very good until the whole Caprio-goes-bananas-in-the-jungle bit with video game stuff and embarrassingly clumsy Apocalypse Now/Deerhunter references. What were they thinking?

Thor: The Dark World (2013) - I tried, I really did ... but am still baffled as to why grown-ups like this stuff.

Behind The Candalabra (2013) - On the telly. Soderburgh directed this? I think we can safely say it's not his best work.

Dragon Inn (1967) - Already mentioned. Absolutely terrific martial arts movie. Very Sergio Leone.

My Neighbour Totoro (1988) - Still have not managed to watch an entire Studio Ghibli movie without falling asleep. There is something wrong with me.

Dead Poets Society (1989) - Teenagers loved it. I yawned a lot.

What We Do In The Shadows (2014) - Brilliant. We all had a marvellous time watching this.

Sea Fever (2020) - new Irish movie by Neasa Hardiman about weird goings-on on a fishing trawler. It's a little bit Abyss. A little bit Alien. It's really quite good.

I think there was one or two more but can't remember what they were.

It's fuckin classsss

Users who are viewing this thread

• rettucs
  • ilovehoovering
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back