What movie did you watch last night? (18 Viewers)

The Netflix Funding Bill is passed. The system goes on-line August 4th, 1997. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.
After making this joke, I found this in the IMDB trivia section for Terminator 2:
756CBC49-A00E-4C13-9CCC-838024D06D8D.jpeg

Ya no estoy aquí

It's on Netflix and I have to say, I loved it. Insight into a Mexican subculture I wasn't aware of before and a meditation on the loneliness and dislocation of the emigrant. It's not perfect but well worth a watch. Main actor in it gives a class performance.

A mighty wind.

I had seen bits of this over the years but never watched the full thing. I kept thinking, I should like this, but I found it fairly tedious to be honest. The song parodies were good but there was too many self consciously mannered performances.

Two weeks notice.

A harmless bit of fluff. But it has Sandra Bullock & Alicia Witt in it. On the downside Trump is in it for about 10 seconds.

Hitchcock
Enjoyable biopic based around the making of Psycho. Not a perfect movie by any means but both Anthony Hopkins and Helen Mirren are brilliant. The rest of the cast are a bit wooden.

The Black Cauldron
This scared the shite out of my kids and for good reason, this is Disney’s Doom Metal phase. Overall, a bit of a dud but some of the imagery is amazing.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day
In my early teens, this was the best Terminator film but it has swapped places with the original as I’ve grown older. It’s still great (those special effects have really stood the test of time) but John Connor is more annoying than I remember (also he is dubbed the whole way through which is very distracting) and Arnie’s performance is too human, even at the beginning before he learns to feel. Linda Hamilton is fucking amazing, her steely determination mixed with PTSD is perfect.

Sonora The Devil's Highway
Mexican movie set during the Great Depression. Diverting enough and with some interesting historical details but fairly predictable. Some beautiful shots of the desert.

The Ruthless
Italian gangster movie set in Milan in 1970s and 1980s. Not amazing but decent performance from main character, it sorta didn't seem to know whether to play more for laughs or more serious in parts.

The Hater
Recent Polish movie about a young man who gets involved with a troll farm, alt-right dirty tricks. It's very topical and despite having a couple of implausible scenes, it manages to make what is essentially a lonely workaholic scouring social media all day into an interesting commentary. The politics are specific to Poland but there are universal insights. Especially in light of G*mma malarkey, it is very of the moment.

The Lodge. Two young kids become snowbound with their new stepmother who is the sole survivor of a suicide cult. Strange things start to happen and creepiness abounds. I liked this even though some of the ideas were nicked from Hereditary.

Midsommar rewatch. So good. Sure there are gaping plot holes - like wouldn’t any of these people told their friends or family where they were going? - but it’s all about the little details, the atmosphere and Florence Pugh’s amazing performance.

Upgrade (2018)

I'd put this one off because I heard it was shite, but it was actually very enjoyable. Also, Tom Hardy has a clone now?

The Invitation (2015) - usually this kind of film is completely shite, but this actually has some good performances despite how stupid the circumstances of the story become. Once you accept that "they behave like that because otherwise the film would be over" it's not bad for what it is. Yer man "I can't believe it's not Tom Hardy" was in this one again, by coincidence. He was the best thing about it and I may not have got to the end but for him.

Jesus, I forgot this movie ever existed, but now I recall unintentionally seeing it in the cinema *twice*. But that was when I was in my "going to the cinema 2/3 times a week" phase.
This one (the Karl Urban one) or Judge Dredd (the Stallone one)? This one is everything I’d hope for from a Dredd movie, gets better every time I watch it. Think I might go back and re-read all my Complete Case Files again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back