What movie did you watch last night? (11 Viewers)

Was at the Odeon in Rathmines and watched Empire Strikes Back. It's fuckin great on the big screen, easily still the best Star Wars movie.
The place wasn't very busy at all but seemed really organised with dealing with covid shit, they make sure there's distance between people seated when selling tickets, they have sanitiser on hand, one way systems in place, well done I say.

just watched 'passengers'. not a bad flick, but when the most developed character is the robot barman, you're not really watching it for the insight into the human condition.

Safe. Julianne Moore plays a creepily detached housewife who becomes sick with a mysterious illness. Doctors can't find anything wrong with her and she becomes convinced that the modern world is making her sick. A true psychological horror film. Really unsettling.

i didn't even cop him.
I think one of the suckiest things about it is that they spent all this money on a sci-fi film with nice effects and shit but didn't do anything interesting with it outside the central premise. And that premise wasn't even that great.
that movie could have been so much more interesting, examining the decision the chris pratt character made, but they had a big budget for it and wanted big returns so clearly went for the crowd pleasing ending.

i didn't even cop him.

THAT'S THE JOKE.

Anyway I saw Some Like It Hot today, cause it was on the tele. I'd never seen it before. It's amusing enough in a lighthearted way for the times, it has somewhat funny moments, and the performances are very good really, but I've no fucking idea why some people rave about it and call it one of the best films ever. Like it's a grand bit of hokum but it's frivolous at the end of the day. It's like calling fuckin Mrs. Doubtfire or some shit one of the greatest films ever made.

Anyway the real question is, seeing as the whole schtick of the film is Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis dressed up as women, is it now cancelled?

Palm Springs. Groundhog Day with more swearing, onscreen violence and sex jokes. Actually quite good. There's a genre of US rom-com which is 'rich white folks at an expensive wedding' and this is one of the better ones.

The Beach House. Young couple spending a weekend at a beach house during the off season discover an ancient evil lurking in the water. Elements of Lovecraft and some decent practical body horror effects make this watchable, even if the acting and script are a bit rudimentary - it's short too which is a welcome change. Sadly, Beach House don't do the score, which is a missed opportunity - but the score is one of the best things about this.

The Wild Blue Yonder. Weirdo sci fi fantasy from Werner Herzog. The peerless Brad Dourif plays an alien stranded on earth who narrates his tale and describes his home planet over archive footage of NASA space flights and deep sea Antarctic expeditions. It's certainly got a vibe.

Last edited:
The Wild Blue Yonder. Weirdo sci fi fantasy from Werner Herzog. The peerless Brad Dourif plays an alien stranded on earth who narrates his tale and describes his home planet over archive footage of NASA space flights and deep sea Antarctic expeditions. It's certainly got a vibe.

I enjoyed this. Good exercise in how to make a weird sci-fi film with no budget.

Watched Something In The Air last night. Oliver Assayas movie about high-school/student radicals in post-68 Paris. Very hazy and nostalgic in spite of some heavy-duty violence and protest. Deadly soundtrack. Good stuff about navigating the tricky path between art and politics. Nothing much happens. I liked it a lot.

I enjoyed this. Good exercise in how to make a weird sci-fi film with no budget.

Watched Something In The Air last night. Oliver Assayas movie about high-school/student radicals in post-68 Paris. Very hazy and nostalgic in spite of some heavy-duty violence and protest. Deadly soundtrack. Good stuff about navigating the tricky path between art and politics. Nothing much happens. I liked it a lot.
I'm re-reading the Hobbit and unlike reading it when you're a kid i'm mostly enjoying how about 80% of it is Dwarves and a Hobbit complaining about being hungry and cold, or that their bag has too much food in it and is very heavy, all the while describing their exact location in relation to some mountains. It's basically literary realism about hiking.

My point, that I forgot to make there, being that you get to a certain age and all you want is long visual or written descriptions of not very much and you think it's brilliant.

Have lately watched:

1922 - not bad, and in some parts properly horrifying but not quite engaging enough to provide a proper chilling horror vibe. Worth watching if you like Thomas Jane's acting (which I do).

Porco Rosso - Studio Ghibli joint that I'd somehow neglected to watch these last 25+ years. Really good romp, funny and wistful and cute and clever and anti-fash. Recommend it to folks who are watching with youngish children.

The Wind Rises - Another Studio Ghibli joint but more adult in tone, the true story of the designer of the Zero Japanese war plane. I really liked this, it's not perfect but the way it evokes a time and a place I know little about is fantastic and, not sure what the term is in animations but the cinematography was just lush, every scene seems considered and lovingly constructed. It's a wee bit sketch considering the protagonist is an engineer who helped the Japanese Empire murder people but that is partially the theme, he wants to imagine beautiful machines, not their far from beautiful applications in the real world.

Machine Gun Kelly - early Charles Bronson flick from late 1950s, pretty good, a lot of moxie but slight compared to gold standard gangster pictures before and since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back