What movie did you watch last night? (12 Viewers)

Dracula 1979 with Fran Langella

This scared the shit out me when I was a kid, especially the bit where Van Helsing sees Mina's reflection (yeah..I know) in the puddle, he looks up and she goes "Papa". I distinctly remember having a nightmare after watching it. Watching it again 30 odd years later I realised what a windy little shit I must have been as it's not near as scary as I'd thought. And now I realise that Mina was played by Jan "Just good Friends" Francis, which really takes away from it for me.

I was surprised at how good this film looks. It doesn't get enough love for its cinematography and set and costume design.

I never liked Langella's contemporary hairstyle though, still don't.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I haven't seen it yet but the trailer thing irritated the shit out of me when I realised that it was pretending to be a single-shot movie but it's actually a single shot cobbled together from multiple shots. That's cheating in my book. It's no Russian Arc or Victoria in other words. I'll probably go and see it anyway so I can give out from a position of authority.
I read today that Victoria was done in 15 minute sections. I know, wow.

Saw Bombshell yesterday. It's a good film, although there's something annoying with the way the story is presented, they switch between this documentary and drama style and the way the switches are done is pretty irritating. Anyway it's about the Fox News version of Weinstein. I guess probably the worst thing about it is that it sort of makes Fox look okay.

Also saw Bad Boys Forever at the weekend. Utterly predictable nonsense, but it's quite entertaining, even has some funny bits, and there are some good action scenes in there, so really it does all the things it should do. A good laugh.

I read today that Victoria was done in 15 minute sections. I know, wow.
No I think it was one take...

From wiki:

The film was shot in a single long take by Sturla Brandth Grøvlen [de] from about 4:30 AM to 7:00 AM on 27 April 2014 in the Kreuzberg and Mitte neighborhoods.[2][3]The script consisted of twelve pages, with most of the dialogue being improvised.[4]

To get financers onboard, director Sebastian Schipper promised to deliver a version using traditional shot cutting as “plan B” if he couldn’t achieve the final product in a true single take. The cut version was filmed first, over ten days, as a series of ten-minute takes, so that Schipper would have a completed film in the bag even if the one-take version failed. Schipper has characterized the cut version as “not good”.[5] The budget permitted only three attempts at the one-take version. According to Schipper, the first attempt was dull because the actors were too cautious, being afraid to make mistakes; the second attempt was the opposite, as the actors went “crazy”. Schipper says he became “angry” and “terrified” after seeing the second take and realizing he had only one chance left; in a subsequent meeting, he gave the cast a “hairdryer speech ... [it] was not a meeting that ended in hugs and 'good talk.' It was crazy. But the tension was built on knowing we wanted the same thing”. Schipper believes the final attempt was successful because there was an element of “aggression” missing from the other versions.[5]

Color Out of Space. HP Lovecraft adaptation with Nic Cage on mid level Nic Cage mode. I liked this a lot. It wasn't particularly faithful to the story, but it had a distinct look, a sense of humour and a lot of cool practical effects clearly inspired by the daddy of practical effects films, The Thing

No I think it was one take...

From wiki:

The film was shot in a single long take by Sturla Brandth Grøvlen [de] from about 4:30 AM to 7:00 AM on 27 April 2014 in the Kreuzberg and Mitte neighborhoods.[2][3]The script consisted of twelve pages, with most of the dialogue being improvised.[4]

To get financers onboard, director Sebastian Schipper promised to deliver a version using traditional shot cutting as “plan B” if he couldn’t achieve the final product in a true single take. The cut version was filmed first, over ten days, as a series of ten-minute takes, so that Schipper would have a completed film in the bag even if the one-take version failed. Schipper has characterized the cut version as “not good”.[5] The budget permitted only three attempts at the one-take version. According to Schipper, the first attempt was dull because the actors were too cautious, being afraid to make mistakes; the second attempt was the opposite, as the actors went “crazy”. Schipper says he became “angry” and “terrified” after seeing the second take and realizing he had only one chance left; in a subsequent meeting, he gave the cast a “hairdryer speech ... [it] was not a meeting that ended in hugs and 'good talk.' It was crazy. But the tension was built on knowing we wanted the same thing”. Schipper believes the final attempt was successful because there was an element of “aggression” missing from the other versions.[5]

Great, I feel better now.

Saw A Hidden Life there, another great Terrence Malick film, this one is about conscientious objectors living in the Austrian alps under Nazi rule. Incredible film to watch, but I must say maybe I've had enough of Malick's trademark memory/feeling style of shooting a film. Or maybe it's just overly long at around 3 hours! I would think that the length is a result of the style though.
Basically it's very much a slow burner, and is both very grim and beautiful at the same time, which is some achievement. Awesome film but still could have been like 30 minutes shorter easy, ha!
PS Hitler is in it, must have been one of the last films he made before he shot himself I mean died.

Today I watched Waves, and it was pretty class.
It's kind of about lots of things, but toxic masculinity is a big theme throughout, and drink and drug culture feature. Interestingly, privilege is part of both, despite the fact that the film is centred on an African-American family that would traditionally be considered automatically unprivileged; in fact, I don't get the impression that the film is particularly aware of the privilege it portrays even though that privilege is very evident throughout the entire film. In this sense it's almost a bit at war with itself, because it seems to want to portray this family as not being especially well-off, despite everything in the film saying the contrary.
Anyway, it's a really good film that uses interesting (experimental?) cinematography in concert with the score to convey feeling in a similar method to Terrence Malick (in technique, not tone), but weaves that more effectively into the narrative than he tends to do – less bodiless introspective monologues thanks. The main reason this works so well really is that the score comes from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, and their music here is pretty seamless in providing platforms for the many pieces of music from other artists that are mixed in (mostly diagetecally).
Basically the score really helps the film work and with a poor score it probably would come across as a poor film, but it's got a great score.
So fuckin brilliant film even if it's covering ground that has already been trod before by many other films.

This is on bbc iplayer at the moment. Mad mad mad mad story. One of the maddest stories of our time. Like I knew the story before but hearing it out of the mouths of eyewitnesses, including jones's own children, is mind boggling. And the archive material they have is astonishing - everything up to and including the deaths was videotaped, photographed and audio recorded. You can see the events unfold in real time. It's unreal. Worth tracking down if you can't get on iplayer.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Cormcolash
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back