What movie did you watch last night? (19 Viewers)

Exactly how I felt about 1917

I wish I wasn't so cynical, but maybe that's Mendes's fault too

"a clumsy collision of the Assassin’s Creed video games and Elem Klimov’s Come and See"

Certainly the most interesting aspect of 1917 is the resulting effect of anchoring characters in environment, and providing a sense of the sheer, awesome scale of the war, as in early scenes that have our couriers skirting massive, muddy craters left by heavy ordnance. Technical brio, however, cannot redeem all that is callow and crass in Mendes’s movie: the dialogue is pure placeholder stuffing, the approach a clumsy collision of the Assassin’s Creed video games and Elem Klimov’s Come and See; the muck-daubed stars register as 21st-century theater kids who’ve been instructed to issue routine “Fucks” for purposes of establishing “raw” authenticity; and the lyric grace notes—a field of cherry trees chopped down in blossom, an abandoned baby being nurtured in a basement in a bombed-out cityscape—strain for a pathos that’s out of reach. A late-film cameo by Benedict Cumberbatch gives the game away: dig a millimeter beneath the surface of the ubiquitous art-directed grime of 1917 and you’ll catch the antiseptic smell of the Great Anglo-American Prestige Picture, never more emotionally tidy or stylistically turgid.

I haven't seen it yet but the trailer thing irritated the shit out of me when I realised that it was pretending to be a single-shot movie but it's actually a single shot cobbled together from multiple shots. That's cheating in my book. It's no Russian Arc or Victoria in other words. I'll probably go and see it anyway so I can give out from a position of authority.

I was sick yesterday, so watched lots of wildlife documentaries. Really enjoyed "Jane" on Netflix, about Jane Goodall. The 16mm footage looked so lush.

By pure chance I watched this last night, exactly 39 years since its release, 14th January 1981

scanners-big-slide-2-580x244.jpg

I watched Seberg yesterday. Not a biopic of Jean Seberg, rather an account of the FBI spy scandal that targeted her and basically ruined her life.
It's very good and really makes you hate the fuckin narcs if for some reason you didn't already hate them. The worst thing is that the shit they got away with then, people probably wouldn't even bat an eye at it now. Planting stories in the press, spying on her, bugging her house and her phone, following her around in vans – Ed Snowden uncovered the modern equivalent of all that shit, and the response was to try and put him in jail forever, and they used to fake news to try and damage his reputation too.
Anyway good film and Kristen Stewart is like some kind of dream woman naturally.

Since I finished my big history of the Third Reich I watched Denial, because it dramatizes the legal case that led to the books being written.

So bad. So fucking bad. The most 2016 film ever made where the good guys are the wealthy and proud of it barristers who uphold the impeccable legal system that has definitely never done anything wrong and the bad guys are weird looking outsiders who must be crushed.

Also, if you wanted to lob in some sexism it's a film where women are constantly told to shut up and listen to the intelligent men fight against the bad man.

Throw in a few unearned and ham-fisted holocaust scenes and you have a film that by the end had me feeling sorry for a holocaust denier. Bravo, well done.

Watched 1917 last night. Technically impressive but kept looking for the cuts so found that distracting. Aside from the technical stuff it’s nothing you haven’t seen before. The Brits and their fucking war movies.

Getting excited for Parasite, so watched Snowpiercer over the weekend. I loved it SO much, after a rocky first half hour or so. Not feeling the Chris Evans casting, tbh, but listen, he wasn't shite enough to ruin it for me. Tilda was DELIGHTFUL.

Getting excited for Parasite, so watched Snowpiercer over the weekend. I loved it SO much, after a rocky first half hour or so. Not feeling the Chris Evans casting, tbh, but listen, he wasn't shite enough to ruin it for me. Tilda was DELIGHTFUL.
Yeah he looks to healthy to have been living on the arse end of the train but otherwise good movie

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back