What movie did you watch last night? (12 Viewers)

Watched the Irishman. It’s really good. Nice meaty gangster film with great performances. If I had to criticise I’d say that the cgi de-aging stuff is a bit distracting and they could’ve easily shaved off 45 min. There’s a few scenes that go on a bit.

Saw The Nightingale in the IFI today. Really grim film along the same lines as Black 47, but not as amazing as Black 47. Very good film though. There is a better film from a year or two back with similar themes in it, Sweet Country, the two films would compliment each other very well. Sweet Country is fuckin amazing.

The incredible Burt Wonderstone. Not recommended at all. Mess of a film. Script is barely humorous, despite the acting chops from main actors, their characters are so uninteresting & largely one dimensional that you don't care. Plus the story could have been good, but ends up just a tepid boring meh.

Watched the Irishman. It’s really good. Nice meaty gangster film with great performances. If I had to criticise I’d say that the cgi de-aging stuff is a bit distracting and they could’ve easily shaved off 45 min. There’s a few scenes that go on a bit.
Watched this over the past few nights. Agreed that it's very good but also that it's a bit too long, particularly the final third where nothing much happens to justify the running time. Some great scenes though and the stellar cast really doesn't disappoint. If the rumours that it took a fortune to get Pesci out of semi-retirement are true I'd still say it was money well spent. The CGI thing wasn't so bad for me, possibly because I was expecting it to be awful looking.

I found the end-part the most absorbing of all. I also felt that I missed a lot of stuff that might connect better on a second viewing. I watched it in three sittings (Netflix) and that maybe wasn't the best approach. Should probably have taken a weekend afternoon to do it ....

Yeah, it's long. I did it in two days, three takes pretty much.

I noticed after it ended was I thought I'd quite like to watch that again.

What's interesting about it is the absence of... I'm not sure what the word is, the absence of the voice of the director saying "And now this is what you shall think and feel!".

In The Sopranos you were exposed to these horrible gangstery people, and your thoughts weren't precisely directed. Clearly the directors and writers have a narrative, but it's less forced maybe.

The Irishman felt a lot more Sopranos-ey, I'm going to expose you to a lot of interacting agents, people with agendas, some of them aren't that bright, some of them are not adhering to the law too hard, but there's lots of them and things are complicated. The opposite of this would be the likes of say anything John Wayne starred in.

The Irishman / this style is much less prescriptive, no clear agenda, no clear heroes even. If anyone is the "hero" in The Irishman it's Sheeran's daughter, who barely says a word in the film.

Irishman also.

I enjoyed it, will probably watch again. Same as everyone, CGI was nothing, the only weird side of it is A: DeNiro already was that age and looked slightly different B: they still move like old guy and it gives it an odd style. There is some kinda atmosphere that combination of actors brings that is compelling, someone walked in on me watching it and asked how far is was, I was 3 hours and I would have guessed maybe 2 at that point.

What is very important is that Pesci was in it, because otherwise this would potentially have been his last screen role:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Downton Abbey, having never seen an episode of the TV show.

This film contains both the worst Irish republican ever and the second worst Irish republican ever, and i'm not sure which is which.

Twee as fuck but I kind of liked it though.

Downton Abbey, having never seen an episode of the TV show.

This film contains both the worst Irish republican ever and the second worst Irish republican ever, and i'm not sure which is which.

Twee as fuck but I kind of liked it though.

What? Worse than Dennis Hopper playing the bomber in the Steven Seagal film 'Ticker'?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Bladez
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back