What movie did you watch last night? (17 Viewers)

Watched Doctor Sleep today.
It's a good film that would be very good as a stand-alone effort. Unfortunately the fact that it's the sequel to The Shining actually lets it down a bit. Basically, there's a lot of cool stuff in there that would work on its own, but the stuff that follows on from The Shining isn't so great because hey guess what unless you can make a film as good as Kubrick could make a film, don't try and follow up on his work because it just won't be on the same level.
Like, it's a fair enough effort and all, but whilst the story is okay, the film making is just never going to achieve what Kubrick could do.

As someone who works in the community sector, I can't deal with that.

Watched two brilliant ones this week -

Two Irenes (amazing)
Ingrid Goes West (one of the best films I've seen in a while!)

Gwen. Folk-ish horror about a family living a hardscrabble existence in rural wales at the turn of the century who fall afoul of the pious townsfolk. Some bleakly beautiful cinematography and good atmosphere but the horror element isn’t really developed all that well. Think The Witch but not as good

Saw The Good Liar today. Alright film about con-man Gandalf trying to con yer one from Prime Suspect out of her retirement savings. At least, that's what it seems to be about...
Gandalf and Mirren are great as usual, this film is a decent watch but it's not well enough made to be great.

I watched that a few months back. Really enjoyed it. Also can't remember the title. The Meyerowitz stories?
My favourite contemporary director. Noah Baumbach.

Edited to add: I saw the Irishman. Meh. So many things bothered me about it, I could rant for hours. The only stand out thing, for me, was Joe Pesci, only because for once he wasn't playing Joe Pesci.

I saw Meeting Gorbachev yesterday – Werner Herzog interviews Big Mick and documents his life from a young lad to leader of the glorious Soviet Union. Naturally, Herzog can do no wrong and it's a fuckin brilliant documentary, plus oul Gorby just seems like a good lad all round. If only they'd left him in charge.

The King on Netflix. Timotei Charalambides plays some scrawny middle ages king - probably a real king, but who knows? There's lots of brutal fights in the mud and much cursing in NORTHERN accents. You probably don't need to watch it now because I've summed it up so succinctly.

The King on Netflix. Timotei Charalambides plays some scrawny middle ages king - probably a real king, but who knows? There's lots of brutal fights in the mud and much cursing in NORTHERN accents. You probably don't need to watch it now because I've summed it up so succinctly.
Oh and R-Patz plays a sinister french guy - possibly the king of france, I wasn't really paying attention so I couldn't tell for sure... He's good in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back